Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › "By the Last Period, their Medication has Worn Off"
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) "By the Last Period, their Medication has Worn Off" (Read 849 times)
Snarky Sack
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

"By the Last Period, their Medication has Worn Off"
Aug 24th, 2018 at 10:44am
Print Post  
So, I'm consulting for a middle school in the Houston area.  I hear the band practicing for a pep rally and they sounded really good for 8th graders early in the morning on the first week back from the summer.  Later I mentioned it to the band director. 

He said, "This year I've got the eight grade kids first period and it's been great because their meds are still working.  Last year, they were sixth period.  By the last period, their medication has worn off and I couldn't get them to focus."

Brave New world is coming true in our educational concentration camps.  We create an environment so unnatural for a young person that many must be drugged just to make it through the day.  These are band kids, not thugs who don't want to be there.

Thanks, Jeff!

"I think I'll backtrack." - Jeff

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Re: "By the Last Period, their Medication has Worn Off"
Reply #1 - Aug 24th, 2018 at 11:14am
Print Post  
I wouldn't put it past the schools to be running an environment that requires medication intentionally. They might even be getting kickbacks from drug companies.

I also wouldn't assume this isn't simply the result of two generations of welfare dysgenics. The people who could focus the least had the most babies. The people who could focus got jobs.

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #2 - Aug 24th, 2018 at 11:15am
Print Post  
Snarky Sack wrote on Aug 24th, 2018 at 10:44am:
So, I'm consulting for a middle school in the Houston area.  I hear the band practicing for a pep rally and they sounded really good for 8th graders early in the morning on the first week back from the summer.  Later I mentioned it to the band director. 

He said, "This year I've got the eight grade kids first period and it's been great because their meds are still working.  Last year, they were sixth period.  By the last period, their medication has worn off and I couldn't get them to focus."

Brave New world is coming true in our educational concentration camps.  We create an environment so unnatural for a young person that many must be drugged just to make it through the day.  These are band kids, not thugs who don't want to be there.

Thanks, Jeff!

Thank Red and his merry band of mind scientists, they are the one's who think it's a good idea to drug children with psychotropic drugs.

"Progressives" are the people who took control of our schools out of the hands of the local communities/parents and made schooling into a standardized nationalized project.

I oppose all of that, as do almost all libertarians.

IP Logged

Snarky Sack

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #3 - Aug 24th, 2018 at 12:35pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Aug 24th, 2018 at 11:15am:
Thank Red and his merry band of mind scientists, they are the one's who think it's a good idea to drug children with psychotropic drugs.

We mind scientists only use non-medical interventions to help people have happier lives.  Send your thanks for over medication of children to the MDs who are allowed to prescribed them and to the educational establishment that created the "need" for them.

Quote:
"Progressives" are the people who took control of our schools out of the hands of the local communities/parents and made schooling into a standardized nationalized project.

I oppose all of that, as do almost all libertarians.

I don't see how taking the feds out of the equations would stop public schools from being so poorly run.  How are state government officials any better than federal ones?

Private schools succeed because government is in their business far less than that of public schools.

IP Logged

Snarky Sack

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #4 - Aug 24th, 2018 at 12:36pm
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Aug 24th, 2018 at 11:14am:
I wouldn't put it past the schools to be running an environment that requires medication intentionally. They might even be getting kickbacks from drug companies.

I also wouldn't assume this isn't simply the result of two generations of welfare dysgenics. The people who could focus the least had the most babies. The people who could focus got jobs.

That is spot on and I had never thought of it in that way.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #5 - Aug 24th, 2018 at 3:36pm
Print Post  
Snarky Sack wrote on Aug 24th, 2018 at 12:35pm:
We mind scientists only use non-medical interventions to help people have happier lives.  Send your thanks for over medication of children to the MDs who are allowed to prescribed them and to the educational establishment that created the "need" for them.

Mind scientists create "mental disorders" like ADHD and recommend that Psychiatrists prescribe drugs to "cure" the "disorders".

I agree that teachers unions and school administrators are probably complicit, and so are parents, but the whole idea that it's impermissible to teach children to discipline themselves by disciplining them is a "progressive" idea, as is the idea that constantly disruptive children must be "mainstreamed" into classrooms full of children who might actually be interested in learning.

IP Logged

Snarky Sack

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #6 - Aug 24th, 2018 at 3:39pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Aug 24th, 2018 at 3:36pm:
Mind scientists create "mental disorders" like ADHD and recommend that Psychiatrists prescribe drugs to "cure" the "disorders".

Only in your imagination did that happen.

Quote:
I agree that teachers unions and school administrators are probably complicit, and so are parents, but the whole idea that it's impermissible to teach children to discipline themselves by disciplining them is a "progressive" idea, as is the idea that constantly disruptive children must be "mainstreamed" into classrooms full of children who might actually be interested in learning.

Yes, a conservative laments that parents are forced to avoid disciplining children property.  A libertarian laments that anyone is forced to do anything.  Libertarians don't pick an choose whose rights may be violated.

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #7 - Aug 24th, 2018 at 11:00pm
Print Post  
Snarky Sack wrote on Aug 24th, 2018 at 3:39pm:
Libertarians don't pick an choose whose rights may be violated.

Uhm... Well to be precise you're right that they don't... But they do pick and choose who has rights.

merkelstan wrote on Feb 28th, 2017 at 11:15pm:
Rothbard's criteria makes more sense, because not only does the entity have to demonstrate conscious thought, it needs to understand the concept of rights and demand them for itself.

Amusingly, The Opposition would fail that test.  I still can't get-over what a mental trainwreck his (her?) "concept" of rights was.

Jeff wrote on Feb 24th, 2018 at 7:49am:
You have no more rights than an animal, because your understanding of rights is at the level of a predatory animal.

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #8 - Aug 25th, 2018 at 7:19am
Print Post  
Only in your imagination did that happen.

You didn't read the article I linked to where the creator of ADHD admitted it was a fabricated "disorder"?

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #9 - Aug 25th, 2018 at 7:25am
Print Post  
Yes, a conservative laments that parents are forced to avoid disciplining children property.  A libertarian laments that anyone is forced to do anything.  Libertarians don't pick an choose whose rights may be violated.
When schools were under local control, run by local school boards and parents/teachers in PTAs, undisciplined children were taught to discipline themselves, often by disciplining them. Almost everybody thought this was essential to the educational process. Teachers removed disruptive children from their classrooms and sent them to the principals office, where they were often disciplined and then sometimes sent home. It worked pretty well for almost all children.

In the early days of Michigan's public schools, children were not admitted to the schools until they knew how to read. I think that's a great idea.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › "By the Last Period, their Medication has Worn Off"
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy