Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › "By the Last Period, their Medication has Worn Off"
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) "By the Last Period, their Medication has Worn Off" (Read 501 times)
Jeff
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: "By the Last Period, their Medication has Worn Off"
Reply #60 - Sep 5th, 2018 at 4:33pm
Print Post  
Snarky Sack wrote on Sep 5th, 2018 at 4:02pm:
Jeff's a stubborn son-of-a-gun.

So, forum members, please ask everyone you know and ask them to ask everyone they know, if they can possibly find someone besides Jeff who thinks that Jack the Ripper was not mentally ill.

If no one finds anyone like that by the end of the week, we can consider the question answered.

Here's one.

https://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/12/health/dr-thomas-szasz-psychiatrist-who-led-m...

He still counts, even though he's dead, because lots of people did and do agree with him.

Don't get confused and imagine that everything you were taught in college is 'truth'.

Speaking of college, have you come up with an idea for your Doctoral dissertation yet?

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #61 - Sep 6th, 2018 at 2:07pm
Print Post  
Saying that Jack the Ripper was not mentally ill is, to say the least, weaselly.

When I say that people shouldn't be stigamtised with disorder unless they think it's a disorder, I don't mean people who have a mental trait that causes them to commit aggression.

Even if we abandon the term mentally ill to describe these people, we would just need another term that meant the same thing. Of those who commit aggression, some can ostensibly choose not to, and for others, the behaviour is somehow compelled by their defective brains. That distinction is important and there should be a word to describe it. There's already such a term and it's mental illness.

No, I don't think my narcissism is a disorder. I want to appreciate my intellect, and every act of boastfulness is an act of appreciation. I don't think the anorexic 14-year-old has a disorder either - not if she wants her body to look like that. It's her $#&%ing body.

Neither of us is hurting anyone else, and that's a massive difference too.

What I would really prefer is to say that no one is mentally ill and people compelled to aggression are defective persons. But we already have a term to describe defective persons and that's mentally ill. I simply argue that you can't prove my narcissism is a defect until I harm someone else because of it. My narcissism may well be helping me, and it's not for anyone else to decide whether it is or not. There's a clear line when someone commits aggression, though.

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #62 - Sep 6th, 2018 at 3:46pm
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Sep 6th, 2018 at 2:07pm:
Saying that Jack the Ripper was not mentally ill is, to say the least, weaselly.

To me, it seems weaselly to say that someone with no moral sense to the point that they are evil and inhuman has a "mental disorder".

What's really weaselly is to divert the topic from ADHD to Jack the Ripper... Was ADHD Jack's problem?

Edit: Your self diagnosis reveals a lot about you, but is almost certainly wrong. Red could tell you what's really wrong with you if he had the time... He's almost a Doctor of Psychology!
« Last Edit: Sep 6th, 2018 at 8:05pm by Jeff »  

IP Logged

Snarky Sack

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #63 - Sep 7th, 2018 at 11:32am
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Sep 5th, 2018 at 4:33pm:
Here's one.

https://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/12/health/dr-thomas-szasz-psychiatrist-who-led-m...

He still counts, even though he's dead, because lots of people did and do agree with him.

Don't get confused and imagine that everything you were taught in college is 'truth'.

Speaking of college, have you come up with an idea for your Doctoral dissertation yet?

From your article:

Quote:
[Dr. Szasz] joined with the Church of Scientology

Stopped reading there.

But, you got me.  Dr. Szasz has gone on to whatever that planet is that Scientologist go when they die.  But Tom Cruz, John Travolta and all the other Hollywoo-woo Scientologist are in full agreement with you. 

Jack the Ripper was just a fun loving prankster, definitely NOT mentally ill.

"Taxes are morally justified theft" - Jeff

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #64 - Sep 7th, 2018 at 2:40pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Sep 6th, 2018 at 3:46pm:
what's really wrong with you

Where's the wrong coming from?

1. I'm not hurting anybody.

2. I'm not hurting anybody.

3. Jack the ripper was hurting others. It's absolutely appropriate to declare that there was something wrong with him, unless it's right to murder.

The only other sense of the term wrong is in improperly functioning. Well, there's something wrong with my car if it doesn't start, right? But what if it's a museum piece I don't need to drive? Things that are mine (including my brain) are up to me to assess the function of, unless I'm hurting somebody.

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #65 - Sep 7th, 2018 at 4:26pm
Print Post  
Snarky Sack wrote on Sep 7th, 2018 at 11:32am:
From your article:

Stopped reading there.

But, you got me.  Dr. Szasz has gone on to whatever that planet is that Scientologist go when they die.  But Tom Cruz, John Travolta and all the other Hollywoo-woo Scientologist are in full agreement with you. 

Jack the Ripper was just a fun loving prankster, definitely NOT mentally ill.

Good tactic Red!

I bet it's your own original idea, to attack the messenger when you aren't capable of mounting a defense against the message.

That's like trying to discredit Maoism by talking about Mao liking to have fresh virgin children to deflower on a regular basis, to keep up his manly strength you know, so he would have the energy to lead China well... Cheesy

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › "By the Last Period, their Medication has Worn Off"
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy