Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › The Return to the Gold Standard
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) The Return to the Gold Standard (Read 1551 times)
BobK71
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: The Return to the Gold Standard
Reply #130 - Nov 9th, 2018 at 9:42am
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Nov 8th, 2018 at 1:29pm:
Our problems with Iran go way back, but it's certainly a childish simplification to blame the U.S. for Iran's behavior. I don't think it's our fault they want to nuke Israel and bring on Armageddon.

Personally, I blame it on the Muslims for overthrowing the Persian Empire in the mid-600s and installing a Shia religious monarchy.

The US overthrew the democratically elected Mohammad Mossadeq by a CIA-engineered coup and re-installed the Shah (and I don't think Russiagate became a meme as a result.) The Shah's father had signed away the rights to all Iranian oil practically for free -- something Mossadeq was trying to reverse.  The younger Shah was universally acknowledged to be a brutal dictator.  The Iranians overthrew him in 1979, and the US has been on Iran's case ever since.

US ally Saddam Hussein was expected to overrun Iran in the 80s Iran-Iraq war (with the US being caught red-handed helping Iraq use chemical weapons on Iranian troops -- something the Western media seemed to forget to notice.)  The Iranians put up a better fight than expected, and the country survived.

The problem for Iran is, once an enemy of the empire, you can't be seen to prosper, or even have peace, as that would send the wrong message to the rest of the vassal states, and threaten the entire empire.

The funniest part of all this history is, I'm not sure you noticed, when Saddam himself ran afoul of the empire, every time the Western media accused him of using chemical weapons, it was made clear that the accusation referred to using them 'on his own people' only!

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #131 - Nov 9th, 2018 at 3:23pm
Print Post  
BobK71 wrote on Nov 9th, 2018 at 9:42am:
The US overthrew the democratically elected Mohammad Mossadeq by a CIA-engineered coup and re-installed the Shah (and I don't think Russiagate became a meme as a result.) The Shah's father had signed away the rights to all Iranian oil practically for free -- something Mossadeq was trying to reverse.  The younger Shah was universally acknowledged to be a brutal dictator.  The Iranians overthrew him in 1979, and the US has been on Iran's case ever since.

US ally Saddam Hussein was expected to overrun Iran in the 80s Iran-Iraq war (with the US being caught red-handed helping Iraq use chemical weapons on Iranian troops -- something the Western media seemed to forget to notice.)  The Iranians put up a better fight than expected, and the country survived.

The problem for Iran is, once an enemy of the empire, you can't be seen to prosper, or even have peace, as that would send the wrong message to the rest of the vassal states, and threaten the entire empire.

The funniest part of all this history is, I'm not sure you noticed, when Saddam himself ran afoul of the empire, every time the Western media accused him of using chemical weapons, it was made clear that the accusation referred to using them 'on his own people' only!
That's a pretty good modern history that leaves out the Russian communists and the Muslims, which makes it rather slanted. Many of Iran's problems have always been a result of having a Church State run by Shia Muslims who haven't often been sane in my opinion. The Twelvers have always sounded particularly dangerous.

IP Logged

BobK71

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #132 - Nov 12th, 2018 at 4:48pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Nov 9th, 2018 at 3:23pm:
That's a pretty good modern history that leaves out the Russian communists and the Muslims, which makes it rather slanted. Many of Iran's problems have always been a result of having a Church State run by Shia Muslims who haven't often been sane in my opinion. The Twelvers have always sounded particularly dangerous.

The choice, though, is not which power should run the world (in which case you'd have a point that the US is more benevolent than the alternatives.)  The choice is between a unipolar vs multipolar world order, at this point.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #133 - Nov 12th, 2018 at 5:29pm
Print Post  
BobK71 wrote on Nov 12th, 2018 at 4:48pm:
The choice, though, is not which power should run the world (in which case you'd have a point that the US is more benevolent than the alternatives.)  The choice is between a unipolar vs multipolar world order, at this point.
If it ends up unipolar, I don't want China to be the Pole Star.

Neither do I want Russia and China as bipoles.

Not that what I want matters, governments are gearing up for war and they have all sorts of new ways to wage war that never were a concern before. There are many ways to wage economic warfare... Although struggles between Central Banks are nothing new.

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #134 - Nov 12th, 2018 at 8:43pm
Print Post  
BobK71 wrote on Nov 12th, 2018 at 4:48pm:

There can never be any world order - unipolar OR multipolar.

As long as there are organized religions where men hate other men because they believe in the wrong God, there will always be Warmaking and death.

"World Order" is a fantasy, Bob.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #135 - Nov 13th, 2018 at 7:55am
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Nov 12th, 2018 at 8:43pm:
As long as there are organized religions where men hate other men because they believe in the wrong God, there will always be Warmaking and death.

You mean like the "progressive" religion that wants to eradicate God/gods completely?

IP Logged

BobK71

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #136 - Nov 13th, 2018 at 10:09am
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Nov 12th, 2018 at 5:29pm:
If it ends up unipolar, I don't want China to be the Pole Star.

Neither do I want Russia and China as bipoles.

Not that what I want matters, governments are gearing up for war and they have all sorts of new ways to wage war that never were a concern before. There are many ways to wage economic warfare... Although struggles between Central Banks are nothing new.

Speaking of which...  China is taking the best and brightest among its teenagers to train them for a career in using AI for warfare.  The competition to get into the program is fierce.  Get them while they're young, before they develop any qualms!

IP Logged

BobK71

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #137 - Nov 13th, 2018 at 10:10am
Print Post  
Test

IP Logged

BobK71

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #138 - Nov 13th, 2018 at 10:20am
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Nov 12th, 2018 at 8:43pm:
There can never be any world order - unipolar OR multipolar.

"World Order" is a fantasy, Bob.

IMO when you talk about a very rough but pervasive hierarchy of nations, you can still talk about 'world order' in a meaningful way.  Sure, countries can rebel against the imperial order (the independence of the USA being one of the biggest rebellions in history,) but those are exceptions rather than the rule, and the imperial system makes sure to make life tough for their leaders.

I don't think it was a coincidence that oil went down to $30s when Russia intervened in Syria to stop US-backed rebels.  China is getting too assertive, so the US slaps tariffs on them just when they can least afford a trade war (when their financial bubble is on the verge of bursting.)

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #139 - Nov 13th, 2018 at 12:10pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Nov 13th, 2018 at 7:55am:
You mean like the "progressive" religion that wants to eradicate God/gods completely?

No. nobody was ever decapitated in the name of atheism.

No woman was ever stoned to death in the name of atheism.

Its estimated that nearly 100 million people have been killed in the name of (some) religion.

For a horde of zealots to run wild in the streets with bloody axes and a torches requires belief in (a) god.

Back to the topic, here's an unsettling fact:

There are 382 Paper Gold Ounces for every one real ounce of Gold on the COMEX. (per economist Bill Holter)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › The Return to the Gold Standard
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy