Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Using Deadly Force to Prevent Theft
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Using Deadly Force to Prevent Theft (Read 2503 times)
Jeff
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Using Deadly Force to Prevent Theft
Reply #230 - Nov 7th, 2018 at 6:59am
Print Post  
AlayneLeung wrote on Nov 6th, 2018 at 5:00pm:
Parenthesis around each s letter are signaling that each of those nouns is either singular or plural or both.

I remember reading years ago a newspaper article that said a person had shoplifted a store, and a security guard of that store had chased that person into another store, and that security guard had already drew his gun and was repeatedly yelling at that person that shoplifted to "STOP!" but wasn't shooting because there were so many customers in that former store and on parking lots, and then a security guard of that latter store drew his gun also and yelled at that security guard of that former store to "DROP THAT GUN NOW OR BE DROPPED!", and that security guard of that former store turned his head towards that security guard of that latter store and yelled "WAIT! YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND...", and the security guard of that latter store had just started firing about bullets at that security guard of that former store killing him on sight when he said that "UNDERSTAND" word (a total of about 85 bullets were fired at that security guard of that latter store).  The police officers, that investigated that shooting, determined that security guard of that latter store was justified doing that shooting because of that stand your ground law especially because there was a sign on that latter store's front doors that stated "If you bring to bear any firearm(s) towards any person(s), while you are in our store while you: 1, are not wearing a [name of latter store] security uniform or; 2, while you're not on duty as a government employee; then you can be affected by deadly force(s) for making one or more [name of latter store] security guard(s) feel threatened.

Note that I won't reveal the name(s) of any of above proper noun(s) because I don't want this website being sued for trademark infringement.
You're saying private security should be outlawed?

(You made that story up didn't you.. You might want to get tested for a "mirror neuron" deficiency.)

IP Logged

AlayneLeung

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #231 - Nov 7th, 2018 at 4:09pm
Print Post  
Alayne Leung typed: Quote:
total of about 85 bullets were fired at that security guard of that latter store).

Okay, I meant to type & that quote of most recent previous reply was edited to be read as: Quote:
total of about 85 bullets were fired at that security guard of that former store).

Jeff, I never tried to promote any belief that private security should be outlawed.  No, I didn't make up that story.  I do remember reading that newspaper article, though, but I can't remember when I read that article.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #232 - Nov 9th, 2018 at 4:31pm
Print Post  
AlayneLeung wrote on Nov 7th, 2018 at 4:09pm:
Alayne Leung typed:

Okay, I meant to type & that quote of most recent previous reply was edited to be read as:

Jeff, I never tried to promote any belief that private security should be outlawed.  No, I didn't make up that story.  I do remember reading that newspaper article, though, but I can't remember when I read that article.
OK, thanks.

You just meant that there should be strict rules that prohibit private security guards from shooting at each other...

IP Logged

AlayneLeung

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #233 - Nov 11th, 2018 at 3:37pm
Print Post  
Jeff, I didn't try to communicate that there should be strict rules regarding private security guards that could perhaps shoot each other.  If a "person", that's about to do a shooting of innocent people and she or he is wearing a private security guard uniform and came into a store that's private security guard uniform(s) are different than that private security guard uniform she or he is wearing, then how should that or those latter security guard(s) of that store react towards that "person"?

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #234 - Nov 11th, 2018 at 3:41pm
Print Post  
AlayneLeung wrote on Nov 11th, 2018 at 3:37pm:
Jeff, I didn't try to communicate that there should be strict rules regarding private security guards that could perhaps shoot each other.  If a "person", that's about to do a shooting of innocent people and she or he is wearing a private security guard uniform and came into a store that's private security guard uniform(s) are different than that private security guard uniform she or he is wearing, then how should those latter security guard(s) react?
Is anybody stealing things?

IP Logged

AlayneLeung

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #235 - Nov 14th, 2018 at 2:25pm
Print Post  
Genuine security guard(s) of latter store have very little time to think and react when that "person" (with gun drawn) enters that latter store, and said genuine security guard(s) of that latter store can't take any chance(s) that said "person" isn't about to do a shooting; yes, a genuine security guard (with gun drawn) could be chasing a person (that shoplifted) into that latter store from a store that genuine security guard and that person (that shoplifted) came from; and so what do you recommend those genuine security guard(s), that are employed at that latter store, do or say?

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #236 - Nov 14th, 2018 at 2:31pm
Print Post  
AlayneLeung wrote on Nov 14th, 2018 at 2:25pm:
Genuine security guard(s) of latter store have very little time to think and react when that "person" (with gun drawn) enters that latter store, and said genuine security guard(s) of that latter store can't take any chance(s) that said "person" isn't about to do a shooting; yes, a genuine security guard (with gun drawn) could be chasing a person (that shoplifted) into that latter store from a store that genuine security guard and that person (that shoplifted) came from; and so what do you recommend those genuine security guard(s), that are employed at that latter store, do or say?
I think it's up to the people that hired them to set guidelines for them, within the law of course.

Edit: You also have to expect that any security guards you hire are going to use their own judgement in certain situations, and that they might do what, on later reflection, was the wrong thing.

Edit: I would make it clear to any armed security guards that I hired that once they leave my property, they are off duty and on their own.

IP Logged

Snarky Sack

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #237 - Nov 15th, 2018 at 5:50pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Nov 14th, 2018 at 2:31pm:
I think it's up to the people that hired them to set guidelines for them, within the law of course.

Edit: You also have to expect that any security guards you hire are going to use their own judgement in certain situations, and that they might do what, on later reflection, was the wrong thing.

Edit: I would make it clear to any armed security guards that I hired that once they leave my property, they are off duty and on their own.

Wow..

That post is a perfect self-contained example of how you constantly shift your positions.

~My way or the highway!  But, use your own judgement sometimes . . . But once you leave, you’re own your own, pal!~

"I think I'll backtrack." - Jeff

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #238 - Nov 15th, 2018 at 6:16pm
Print Post  
Snarky Sack wrote on Nov 15th, 2018 at 5:50pm:
Wow..

That post is a perfect self-contained example of how you constantly shift your positions.

It seems consistent to me...

If you don't point out how it isn't consistent, I'll go on thinking that it is. Kiss

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #239 - Nov 15th, 2018 at 7:25pm
Print Post  
Snarky Sack wrote on Aug 31st, 2018 at 8:26am:
Always, or almost always wrong?

I'm not talking about some esoteric philosophical musing about what if you're walking home with medicine to save your dying child and a teenager snatches your purse and starts running and the only way to reliable way to stop him is with a center of mass shot.  That's an easy decision.

I'm talking about a case in which a person steal your wallet and runs and you have some cash in it.  If shooting is the only way to get your money back (which it probably is), is it always wrong to shoot?  Don't bother about shooting to wound, with a pistol against a running man, not even Annie Oakley would try for a leg.

Let me refine this further:

Suppose someone stole your property, like a motorcycle.  You know where it is and you also know that the thief is volatile and often well armed.  Is arming yourself before going to retrieve your property and being prepared to use deadly force if you meet armed resistance the moral or the immoral thing to do?  Or should you back off and say, "life is more important than property.  I'm not going to risk his and my life for a motorcycle."

Sack you ignorant slut, have you made any progress at all in figuring out the rules in such cases?

I've made my position clear. If you know who has your stolen motorcycle, tell the police, but if your child's (or anyone else's) life is at immediate risk, killing to prevent deadly harm is something you should do. The moral, ethical right thing... But not if you are likely to kill innocents in the process.

I hope neither of us is ever forced into making that sort of decision.

I try to stay away from lawless barbarians who might force me into killing them, hope they stay away from me, and rely on the government to make sure there aren't too many of them loose in our society. Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Using Deadly Force to Prevent Theft
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy