Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › When has Government Ever Worked?
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) When has Government Ever Worked? (Read 2692 times)
Snarky Sack
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: When has Government Ever Worked?
Reply #340 - Oct 23rd, 2018 at 1:15pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Oct 23rd, 2018 at 1:06pm:
Yes, I agree. But if it something you are supposed to do, for a purpose like reducing the number of thieves running around the community, then having the power to tax and using it to pay police and fund courts and build a jail is a good thing.

If, conversely, it is for something you aren't supposed to do, like redistributing wealth (or simply keeping it, as seems to happen to a huge amount of tax revenue), it becomes a bad thing.

Where do we go to know what government is supposed to do and not supposed to do?  Just ask Jeff every time?

Or is it "everyone gets a vote?"

"I think I'll backtrack." - Jeff

IP Logged

Snarky Sack

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #341 - Oct 23rd, 2018 at 1:19pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Oct 23rd, 2018 at 12:10pm:
But the representatives had no authority to create a Dept. of Education, because it is not a power granted to government by the Constitution.

The elected representatives, the elected presidents and the impartial and very learned justices of the USSC disagree with you.

I believe that their reference is the equal protection clause of the constitution which mandates that they federal government ensure equality in school systems.  Equal protection from ignorance cannot be had if communities are allowed to decide for themselves how to educate children.

"I think I'll backtrack." - Jeff

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #342 - Oct 23rd, 2018 at 5:02pm
Print Post  
Snarky Sack wrote on Oct 23rd, 2018 at 1:19pm:
The elected representatives, the elected presidents and the impartial and very learned justices of the USSC disagree with you.

I believe that their reference is the equal protection clause of the constitution which mandates that they federal government ensure equality in school systems.  Equal protection from ignorance cannot be had if communities are allowed to decide for themselves how to educate children.

Wow!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › When has Government Ever Worked?
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy