Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Why is the Question, “Should Taxes be Limited?” So Scary?
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Why is the Question, “Should Taxes be Limited?” So Scary? (Read 132 times)
ahhell
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Why is the Question, “Should Taxes be Limited?” So Scary?
Reply #10 - Sep 6th, 2018 at 12:02pm
Print Post  
I have no idea what it should be other than not 100% and not 0% but probably a lot closer to 0.

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #11 - Sep 6th, 2018 at 1:44pm
Print Post  
Snarky Sack wrote on Sep 5th, 2018 at 3:22pm:
That question is scary for someone who insists that we have to pay “some” taxes to support the vital functions of government.   Asking them to set a limit forces them to either admit they think taxes should be unlimited or to name a percent figure for a limit they advocate. 

50%.

I think this is the logical answer because at 51% taxation, you've reached the point at which it is impossible for your expenditures to be protecting your property more than redistributing it to others.

And let me be clear that this 50% is single-dip, even if it's going to different levels of government. You don't get 50% of your income taxed away, buy a cat, and then have to pay sales tax on the cat. That's factually greater than 50% taxation.

So let me lay out how this would work. Let's say I make $10,000 a year. If I can come up with receipts to show I've paid $5000 in any taxes by October 2018, I get an immediate duty-free 2018 pass that's good for the rest of the year. If it somehow doesn't get issued until November, then it's good until February next year (though if you do this electronically and track sales tax the same way, on a special card, it could be very quick).

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #12 - Sep 6th, 2018 at 3:34pm
Print Post  
Snarky Sack wrote on Sep 6th, 2018 at 11:51am:
So, are you claiming that the limit can be set at 10%, because any number above that would indicate that the government plans to redistribute the money?

No, I was just giving an example so you might have a chance of understanding how the Constitutional limits (which allow anything to be taxed at any rate) would actually work if we used them. Congress could legally levy a tax at 100% of all profits, interest, rents, dividends etc.... Can you understand why they wouldn't do that?

Congress could also lay a tax that made every wage and salary earner liable for a tax of $25,000/year... Can you see why they wouldn't do that?

The Constitutional limits on taxation limit Congress' ability to try to extract too much from the people of America by making it contingent on what the people can and will bear if the taxes are uniform and apportioned.

The majority of working people simply can't afford to pay many taxes, and the majority of businesses don't want to pay a very high percentage (which ruins the economy and their reasons for being in business), and businesses have influence in Washington City.

It's by playing the "tax them, not me" game that "progressives" got taxes so high.

IP Logged

Snarky Sack

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #13 - Sep 7th, 2018 at 3:16pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Sep 6th, 2018 at 3:34pm:
The Constitutional limits on taxation limit Congress' ability to try to extract too much from the people of America

How much is too much?

Need numbers, not platitudes.

"Taxes are morally justified theft" - Jeff

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #14 - Sep 7th, 2018 at 4:49pm
Print Post  
Snarky Sack wrote on Sep 7th, 2018 at 3:16pm:
How much is too much?

Need numbers, not platitudes.

How much do you think is too much, and why?

Why do you think it has to be quantified with numbers?

The only number that's really important is how much Congress authorizes to be spent.

That can be reduced by orders of magnitude by following the Constitution...

But you hate the Constitution.

Edit: Does anybody know how much Congress has and will authorize to be spent this fiscal year?

Has Congress (or will Congress) make an accounting of it to us so that we know where all of our hard earned money is going to go?

Why not? Who in Congress is responsible for such a lawless travesty of justice?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Why is the Question, “Should Taxes be Limited?” So Scary?
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy