Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Cop Tases Eleven Year Old Shoplifter. NOT Caught on Body Cam.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Cop Tases Eleven Year Old Shoplifter. NOT Caught on Body Cam. (Read 2371 times)
Jeff
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Cop Tases Eleven Year Old Shoplifter. NOT Caught on Body Cam.
Reply #310 - Oct 22nd, 2018 at 9:46am
Print Post  
Snarky Sack wrote on Oct 22nd, 2018 at 9:21am:
Of course schools are run by progressives with no strong foothold on reality.  That’s the inevitable result of funding them through taxes. 

No it's not. It's a result of schools being taken out of the control of the people in the community, the parents, and also a result of using state and federal revenues to fund local schools.

Local schools funded by local taxes and controlled locally by parents and teachers and local school boards will not all be run by "progressives". A few will, but most won't.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #311 - Oct 22nd, 2018 at 9:52am
Print Post  
Snarky Sack wrote on Oct 22nd, 2018 at 9:21am:
Having people forced to pay for each of your latest ideas with no consequences when they fail isn’t a plan that will ever achieve success.
There are very few things that I believe can be legitimately funded by taxes.

The idea that local property taxes can be used to fund local schools has been around far longer than I have. Even the idea that revenue collected by state governments should be used to help fund schools is far older than I am.

I don't think the state should be involved at all, although I think the original idea of State Universities was pretty good...

Certainly the federal government is not authorized to have any involvement in education at all.

IP Logged

Snarky Sack

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #312 - Oct 22nd, 2018 at 9:56am
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Oct 22nd, 2018 at 9:46am:
No it's not. It's a result of schools being taken out of the control of the people in the community, the parents, and also a result of using state and federal revenues to fund local schools.

That is inevitable. 

The "communities" rely on the power of the state and the federal government to make sure the money is taken from the rightful owners  No Blah-blah Independent School District has the firepower to separate people from their hard-earned wealth to redistribute it. 

So, of course the state and federal governments want to get involved.  Once services are funded by taxes instead of voluntary transactions, there is no need for efficiency and quality.  What is needed are numbers.  Large numbers of employees, large numbers of departments and large numbers of gunmen to make sure the money keeps rolling in.

All those people needing paychecks "justify" more and more taxes and of course their votes are absolutely reliable because their jobs depend on the politicians.

When has your idea of "communities" "voluntarily" taxing themselves for education ever NOT led to exactly what we have now?

Quote:

Local schools funded by local taxes and controlled locally by parents and teachers and local school boards will not all be run by "progressives". A few will, but most won't.

How is a school board going to enforce a tax?

It isn't.  It will ask the state to do it and the state will.  With strings attached.

"I think I'll backtrack." - Jeff

IP Logged

Snarky Sack

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #313 - Oct 22nd, 2018 at 9:57am
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Oct 22nd, 2018 at 9:52am:
There are very few things that I believe can be legitimately funded by taxes.

The idea that local property taxes can be used to fund local schools has been around far longer than I have. Even the idea that revenue collected by state governments should be used to help fund schools is far older than I am.

I don't think the state should be involved at all, although I think the original idea of State Universities was pretty good...

Certainly the federal government is not authorized to have any involvement in education at all.

Of course it is.  Name the USSC ruling that says the federal government isn't authorized to have any involvement in education.

"I think I'll backtrack." - Jeff

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #314 - Oct 22nd, 2018 at 5:33pm
Print Post  
Snarky Sack wrote on Oct 22nd, 2018 at 9:57am:
Of course it is.  Name the USSC ruling that says the federal government isn't authorized to have any involvement in education.
Grin

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Cop Tases Eleven Year Old Shoplifter. NOT Caught on Body Cam.
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy