Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Find the Aggression - Part 1
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 21 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Find the Aggression - Part 1 (Read 2362 times)
SkyChief
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Find the Aggression - Part 1
Reply #150 - Oct 8th, 2018 at 7:52pm
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Oct 7th, 2018 at 4:07pm:
I agree that he's not liable but I wonder what the point was of the lie if that ultimate conclusion wasn't exactly what the neighbour had in mind from the outset.

It's possible that Lying Neighbor just wanted the police to harass Vixen Owner to have some leverage for when Lying Neighbor builds an addition to his garage without obtaining the proper building permits.

Vixen Owner would never sic the City Building Inspector on Lying Neighbor if he knew that his pet would be taken away...

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #151 - Oct 9th, 2018 at 8:58am
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Oct 8th, 2018 at 7:52pm:
It's possible that Lying Neighbor just wanted the police to harass Vixen Owner to have some leverage for when Lying Neighbor builds an addition to his garage without obtaining the proper building permits.

Vixen Owner would never sic the City Building Inspector on Lying Neighbor if he knew that his pet would be taken away...
Golly yes, many things are possible, especially in imaginary scenarios.

It's possible the Voltarian CIA was involved, wanting to foxnap the vixen and take her back to Voltar to be offered to Queen Teeny as a bribe...

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #152 - Oct 9th, 2018 at 12:32pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Oct 9th, 2018 at 8:58am:
Golly yes, many things are possible, especially in imaginary scenarios.

It's possible the Voltarian CIA was involved, wanting to foxnap the vixen and take her back to Voltar to be offered to Queen Teeny as a bribe...

My garage-addition explanation is much more plausible.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #153 - Oct 9th, 2018 at 2:06pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Oct 9th, 2018 at 12:32pm:
Not really. The fox was a legally owned pet. You aren't going to gain any leverage over it's owner by saying the fox bit someone whether the fox ends up seized and killed or not.

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #154 - Oct 10th, 2018 at 12:37am
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Oct 7th, 2018 at 11:45pm:
We collect rain-water from our property.

We subsequently found out that this is "illegal". 

Stupid laws are mostly ignored here.  ( And elsewhere, so I'm told.)

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." - Thomas Jefferson

The bolded bit presents certain logical obstacles. Rain barely falls on much of my planet. How am I supposed to disobey when they make rain barrels illegal? How are you, if there's a drought? What happens if they make a law that one can't pick one's nose on one's own yacht? Now I must not only make it rain, but also pool a sufficiently large body of water, purchase a yacht and pick my nose.

Oh dear Reason itself! What if they make two laws that can't both be disobeyed at once?! For example, they might make a law saying that Kentucky bluegrass is illegal to grow, but another law might say you must have at least one type of grass in your yard! I could only disobey one!

AHHHHHH!!!

Thomas Jefferson is pretty great, but his words can't grant me supernatural abilities or allow me to transcend logic.

SkyChief wrote on Oct 9th, 2018 at 12:32pm:

Vastly. But it still represents a human not thinking things through fully.

What were the police supposed to do, warn the owner that if the fox bit someone a second time, they would take it away?

And at that point, the neighbour reveals his report so he can extort silence about his own violations?

I don't see that ending well.

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #155 - Oct 10th, 2018 at 7:50am
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Oct 10th, 2018 at 12:37am:
Thomas Jefferson is pretty great, but his words can't grant me supernatural abilities or allow me to transcend logic.

There were some black people in the '60s who chose to sit in the front of the bus, when local laws said they had to sit in the back.

There were also some black people who chose to disobey the local laws by sitting at a "whites only" lunch counter.

That's the sort of thing Jefferson was speaking of, unjust laws that can be changed only if people feel obligated to stand up for justice.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #156 - Oct 10th, 2018 at 7:52am
Print Post  
What were the police supposed to do, warn the owner that if the fox bit someone a second time, they would take it away?

And at that point, the neighbour reveals his report so he can extort silence about his own violations?

I don't see that ending well.
I don't see it even happening...

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #157 - Oct 10th, 2018 at 12:17pm
Print Post  
What happens if they make a law that one can't pick one's nose on one's own yacht?
We don't have that law here on my planet, but if it were to cross Governor Jerry Brown's desk, He'd probably sign it.

They pass the stupidest laws in Sacramento. 

They recently passed a Law that puts people in jail for offering someone a plastic soda straw.   I'm dead serious.

No wonder large numbers of Californians are fleeing the state.

I just offered that as a possible motivation for lying about the pet fox bite.   

I was challenging Jeff to consider other possibilities.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #158 - Oct 10th, 2018 at 1:33pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Oct 10th, 2018 at 12:17pm:

When you start with a ridiculous hypothetical situation, anything is possible...

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #159 - Oct 10th, 2018 at 11:49pm
Print Post  
We don't have that law here on my planet, but if it were to cross Governor Jerry Brown's desk, He'd probably sign it.

They pass the stupidest laws in Sacramento. 

They recently passed a Law that puts people in jail for offering someone a plastic soda straw.   I'm dead serious.

No wonder large numbers of Californians are fleeing the state.

Think it's all part of the plan? Let people make an area pleasing and then come in and make it unpalatable with unpleasing laws. Then, when people have to sell their $3,000,000 houses for pennies on the dollar, reap the benefit.

He considers the entire scenario impossible. You might try challenging a jar of mayonnaise to contribute meaningfully to quantum physics. Even if you fail, I can at least eat the mayonnaise on a BLT.

I'm positively addicted to Earth food. It's a serious problem. Why is your food so delicious?

I blame California.

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 21
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Find the Aggression - Part 1
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy