Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Find the Aggression - Part 1
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 21 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Find the Aggression - Part 1 (Read 1942 times)
The Opposition
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Find the Aggression - Part 1
Reply #30 - Sep 14th, 2018 at 1:40pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Sep 14th, 2018 at 12:36pm:
Torts are crimes lizard, they are crimes that have not been made a part of the criminal code.

You can argue that the lie about your fox biting someone caused your fox to be stolen from you by the police and that therefore the liar and the police are both thieves. Give it a try. Other sorts of lies that cause harm to people by taking their property are crimes, for instance fraud.

The liar defrauded you out of your pet fox... Ask a lawyer, I'm not sure that would fly...

I don't want to ask a lawyer about how it is. I want to ask a libertarian about how it ought to be.

What should happen to the one who committed the wrong and why?

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

Snarky Sack

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #31 - Sep 14th, 2018 at 1:51pm
Print Post  
SnarkySack wrote yesterday at 1:48pm:
Quote:
Does the school district's use of the funds in that way violate anyone's rights?

Jeff wrote on Sep 13th, 2018 at 2:38pm:
Why ask, since you think taxation for education violates rights?

Is it right to tax people for one purpose and use the money for something else? No.

I'm asking what you think.  Are anyone's rights violated if the government decides to tax people for one purpose and use the money for something else?

"I think I'll backtrack." - Jeff

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #32 - Sep 14th, 2018 at 5:09pm
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Sep 14th, 2018 at 1:40pm:
I don't want to ask a lawyer about how it is. I want to ask a libertarian about how it ought to be.

In general, crimes are knowing violations of the rights of others, and torts are accidental violations of the rights of others.

If there is reasonable cause to believe that the liar did in fact lie and the intent was to have your property destroyed, a crime has been committed.

Wrongs have also been committed by the police who took your fox without probable cause, although there are probably state laws or local ordinances allowing police to take and hold animals reported to be dangerous until it can be determined if they really are dangerous.

That is government at work, not libertarian theory. Good libertarians would never knowingly endanger others, but government can't count on everyone being good libertarians.

You really do get to be a tiring bore lizard.

IP Logged

Snarky Sack

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #33 - Sep 14th, 2018 at 8:21pm
Print Post  

Thank you!

That is the question we should be discussing here. 

"I think I'll backtrack." - Jeff

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #34 - Sep 14th, 2018 at 10:55pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Sep 14th, 2018 at 5:09pm:
In general, crimes are knowing violations of the rights of others, and torts are accidental violations of the rights of others.

If there is reasonable cause to believe that the liar did in fact lie and the intent was to have your property destroyed, a crime has been committed.

Wrongs have also been committed by the police who took your fox without probable cause, although there are probably state laws or local ordinances allowing police to take and hold animals reported to be dangerous until it can be determined if they really are dangerous.

That is government at work, not libertarian theory. Good libertarians would never knowingly endanger others, but government can't count on everyone being good libertarians.

You really do get to be a tiring bore lizard.

If you're happy with the way the government works now, why the %$#& are you here?

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #35 - Sep 15th, 2018 at 7:10am
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Sep 14th, 2018 at 10:55pm:
If you're happy with the way the government works now, why the %$#& are you here?
I'm satisfied that the law, in it's broad categories of criminal law and civil torts is philosophically correct.

I'm not at all happy that the national government has usurped police powers and created bureaucratic SWAT teams to enforce "regulations" that are not laws according to the Constitution.

Hey, I said the liar had probably committed a crime, and that seizing property without probable cause and reasonable cause is extra-legal (and should be a crime).

Your fox was certainly aggressed against. Cry

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #36 - Sep 15th, 2018 at 11:00am
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Sep 15th, 2018 at 7:10am:
I'm satisfied that the law, in it's broad categories of criminal law and civil torts is philosophically correct.

I'm not at all happy that the national government has usurped police powers and created bureaucratic SWAT teams to enforce "regulations" that are not laws according to the Constitution.

That's a reasonable answer. Thank you.

Jeff wrote on Sep 15th, 2018 at 7:10am:
Hey, I said the liar had probably committed a crime, and that seizing property without probable cause and reasonable cause is extra-legal (and should be a crime).

Your fox was certainly aggressed against. Cry

By the lying neighbour, right? Because the police were just doing their job and had no way to know the neighbour was being a spiteful ass rather than making a legitimate report?

-SnarkySack

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #37 - Sep 15th, 2018 at 11:32am
Print Post  

I would vote him off the island.

Yep.  Banishment.

Thats what Liberland will do.  After due process, of course.

Nobody will ever get a "25 - to - life"  sentence.  Citizenship is revoked, and they get deported.

Problem is eliminated.

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #38 - Sep 15th, 2018 at 11:51am
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Sep 15th, 2018 at 11:32am:

Yep.  Banishment.

Nobody will ever get a "25 - to - life"  sentence.  Citizenship is revoked, and they get deported.

Problem is eliminated.

And who should get banished in this case? The cop, the lying neighbour, the animal control employee who put in the needle, or the pet owner?

-SnarkySack

IP Logged

GEMorton
Libertarian Senior Member

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #39 - Sep 15th, 2018 at 9:10pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Sep 15th, 2018 at 11:32am:

Yep.  Banishment.

Problem is eliminated.

Ever read Robert Heinlein's short story "Coventry"? Your suggestion there is the premise of that story.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 21
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Find the Aggression - Part 1
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy