Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Example # 17,562,758 of Why Forced Taxation Leads to Disasters
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Example # 17,562,758 of Why Forced Taxation Leads to Disasters (Read 40 times)
Snarky Sack
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Example # 17,562,758 of Why Forced Taxation Leads to Disasters
Sep 14th, 2018 at 10:55am
Print Post  
Quote:
Nikki Haley, the U.S. ambassador to the United Nations, is drawing criticism over curtains in her official residence costing nearly $53,000 -- purchased amid deep budget cuts in the State Department. Trouble is, the purchase was approved in 2016, under the Obama administration.

The New York Times reported this week that $52,701 was spent last year on buying customized and mechanized curtains for the picture windows in Haley’s New York City residence, for which rent is $58,000 a month.

But the paper didn't mention until the sixth paragraph that Haley's spokesman said the Trump administration had no input in the purchase decision.

Some online critics apparently missed that detail.

Ok, so HA HA, the New York Times didn't fact check in their rush to publish a negative story about the Trum administration.  Not exactly news.  Neither is this justification of the expendature:

Quote:
Patrick Kennedy, the top management official at the State Department during the Obama administration, defended the spending, saying the curtains will be used by future officials and cited security and entertainment purposes.

“All she’s got is a part-time maid, and the ability to open and close the curtains quickly is important,” Kennedy told the newspaper.

That's the mentality of "our" government.  Any expenditure is worth the expense, not matter how flimsy the justification.  And why not?  There's a certain amount of money being stolen and counterfeited by the government each year.  That money "needs to be spent," so the details are irrelevant. 

I wonder if this story will finally make the statists on here understand why we libertarians don't want to be forced to pay into a system where we are robbed at gunpoint to pay for apartment curtains that cost about a fourth the market price of our house?

"I think I'll backtrack." - Jeff

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Example # 17,562,758 of Why Forced Taxation Leads to Disasters
Reply #1 - Sep 14th, 2018 at 12:26pm
Print Post  
Snarky Sack wrote on Sep 14th, 2018 at 10:55am:
I wonder if this story will finally make the statists on here understand why we libertarians don't want to be forced to pay into a system where we are robbed at gunpoint to pay for apartment curtains that cost about a fourth the market price of our house?

Use of quasi-voluntary taxes only would preclude this if stuck to, though my concern would be the same as yours about whether it was even possible for it to be stuck to.

Ultimately, you're correct that this is pretty much the inevitable result of having a government that's funded involuntarily.

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Example # 17,562,758 of Why Forced Taxation Leads to Disasters
Reply #2 - Sep 14th, 2018 at 12:41pm
Print Post  
The problem I see here is having an Ambassador to the UN in the first place. I don't think there is any authorization for that in the Constitution.

As far as fraud and corruption in government, yes, if you have government you will have fraud and corruption, just like if you have enough people in a business or a community, you will have fraud and corruption and theft.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Example # 17,562,758 of Why Forced Taxation Leads to Disasters
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy