Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › If You Support Mandatory Insurance...
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) If You Support Mandatory Insurance... (Read 1128 times)
The Opposition
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

If You Support Mandatory Insurance...
Sep 16th, 2018 at 1:27am
Print Post  
If you support mandatory insurance of any type, such as car insurance, do you also support government regulations on prices, since we can't simply choose not to buy the product?

Or would it be aggression to tell a business what it can and can't charge?

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Re: If You Support Mandatory Insurance...
Reply #1 - Sep 16th, 2018 at 2:36am
Print Post  
The term Mandatory should be shunned in any free society.

The term Mandatory should only be used in reference to Nazism or communism.   Or ruling class elites.  They often like to impose mandates.

Grin    Grin

*snicker*

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #2 - Sep 16th, 2018 at 9:17am
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Sep 16th, 2018 at 2:36am:
The term Mandatory should be shunned in any free society.

The term Mandatory should only be used in reference to Nazism or communism.   Or ruling class elites.  They often like to impose mandates.

Grin    Grin

*snicker*
Agreed Chief. The lizard isn't likely to find libertarians that support mandatory car insurance.

As I've said before on the forum, one part of the mandatory car insurance I'm required to buy is called "uninsured motorist coverage", which is needed to cover for people who haven't bought the mandatory car insurance. Cheesy

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #3 - Sep 16th, 2018 at 11:50am
Print Post  
kaz wrote on Jul 1st, 2017 at 9:13am:
Driving is a privilege not a right.  When you give government the power to build roads, the right to regulate their use goes with that power.  That you aren't driving without insurance is a reasonable restriction and everyone drives, so there is lots of competition. 

I guess you guys forgot that I remember basically everything I read.

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #4 - Sep 16th, 2018 at 12:24pm
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Sep 16th, 2018 at 11:50am:
I guess you guys forgot that I remember basically everything I read.
I never thought kaz was a libertarian, and I argued against his supposition that driving is a privilege.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #5 - Sep 16th, 2018 at 5:46pm
Print Post  
Let's get back to your idea the that "mandatory" equals "aggression"... I think you're onto something there...

Do you intend to morph it into something like taxation is aggression?

BTW, when we authorize governments to build and maintain roads for our use, that's the only thing that is authorized, our use of the roads they build on our behalf.

The idea that governments are granted power to restrict our use of things we have authorized them to create and maintain and have paid for with our money is an idea that comes from tyrannical governments.

Let's talk more. Smiley

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #6 - Sep 16th, 2018 at 7:10pm
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Sep 16th, 2018 at 1:27am:
... would it be aggression to tell a business what it can and can't charge?

When a government tries to hobble a business (with regulation) to put the business at a disadvantage, that's aggression.

Any regulation or mandate must be backed with force and coercion. This is why libertarians strongly object to gov't mandates and regulations - they hinder the growth, progress, and success of a business and are backed by force.

IP Logged

Snarky Sack

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #7 - Sep 17th, 2018 at 3:20pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Sep 16th, 2018 at 5:46pm:
Let's get back to your idea the that "mandatory" equals "aggression"... I think you're onto something there...

Do you intend to morph it into something like taxation is aggression?

BTW, when we authorize governments to build and maintain roads for our use, that's the only thing that is authorized, our use of the roads they build on our behalf.

The idea that governments are granted power to restrict our use of things we have authorized them to create and maintain and have paid for with our money is an idea that comes from tyrannical governments.

Let's talk more. Smiley

So, you oppose requiring drivers on public  roads to be licensed?

Backpedal begins in 3 . . . 2 . . .

"I think I'll backtrack." - Jeff

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #8 - Sep 17th, 2018 at 4:50pm
Print Post  
Snarky Sack wrote on Sep 17th, 2018 at 3:20pm:
So, you oppose requiring drivers on public  roads to be licensed?
My Dad made me take driver training at the High School, because it would make my insurance rates lower.

I think the fact that you had some training and passed a basic competency road test as part of your education, you should get a driving diploma, like you get a provisional race license when you complete the required schooling.

Will I say that someone who hasn't had the approved schooling and received the driving diploma somehow loses their right to travel freely on the roads Why should they? They might be very good drivers and be driving responsibly. Insurance companies notice that. While they might charge a non-schooled driver more to begin with, they will straighten things out in short order or lose customers.

IP Logged

Snarky Sack

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #9 - Sep 17th, 2018 at 4:53pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Sep 17th, 2018 at 4:50pm:
My Dad made me take driver training at the High School, because it would make my insurance rates lower.

I think the fact that you had some training and passed a basic competency road test as part of your education, you should get a driving diploma, like you get a provisional race license when you complete the required schooling.

Will I say that someone who hasn't had the approved schooling and received the driving diploma somehow loses their right to travel freely on the roads Why should they? They might be very good drivers and be driving responsibly. Insurance companies notice that. While they might charge a non-schooled driver more to begin with, they will straighten things out in short order or lose customers.

So,, you believe that a person with no drivers license should be allowed to drive on public roads?  It’s a yes or no, please and thank you.  Life story not needed.

"I think I'll backtrack." - Jeff

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › If You Support Mandatory Insurance...
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy