Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › If You Support Mandatory Insurance...
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) If You Support Mandatory Insurance... (Read 1131 times)
Jeff
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: If You Support Mandatory Insurance...
Reply #70 - Sep 27th, 2018 at 8:46am
Print Post  
Snarky Sack wrote on Sep 27th, 2018 at 7:56am:
"People shouldn't steal from each other at gunpoint," is a radical idea?

If you are being robbed at gunpoint, you are being threatened with bodily harm or death, in which case you can shoot the thief. That's not radical and it's based on the idea that your life has intrinsic value and that the thief has forfeited his right to not be killed by threatening your life with a gun.

What is a radical idea based on a moral absolute is that, because theft is wrong, you can shoot any thief at any time.

IP Logged

Snarky Sack

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #71 - Sep 27th, 2018 at 9:14am
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Sep 27th, 2018 at 8:46am:
If you are being robbed at gunpoint, you are being threatened with bodily harm or death, in which case you can shoot the thief. That's not radical and it's based on the idea that your life has intrinsic value and that the thief has forfeited his right to not be killed by threatening your life with a gun.

What is a radical idea based on a moral absolute is that, because theft is wrong, you can shoot any thief at any time.

But you are a firm believer in government using any force they choose, including shooting me, if I don’t pay taxes.

"I think I'll backtrack." - Jeff

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #72 - Sep 27th, 2018 at 10:37am
Print Post  
Snarky Sack wrote on Sep 27th, 2018 at 9:14am:
But you are a firm believer in government using any force they choose, including shooting me, if I don’t pay taxes.

If you resist agents of the government with deadly force, they will shoot you. The people who might eventually show up to arrest you didn't make the laws they are sworn to enforce and don't deserve to be shot at.

If you open a robot brothel somewhere that it's been made illegal, do you plan to shoot at the officers of the law who come to shut it down and arrest you?

IP Logged

Snarky Sack

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #73 - Sep 27th, 2018 at 11:40am
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Sep 27th, 2018 at 10:37am:
If you resist agents of the government with deadly force, they will shoot you. The people who might eventually show up to arrest you didn't make the laws they are sworn to enforce and don't deserve to be shot at.

If you open a robot brothel somewhere that it's been made illegal, do you plan to shoot at the officers of the law who come to shut it down and arrest you?

Morally I would absolutely have the right to..  Those officers didn’t make the laws, but they choose to get paid for enforcing them. 

But would I?  No, of course not.  But that is a moral failing on my part, not a virtue. 

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #74 - Sep 27th, 2018 at 3:47pm
Print Post  
You mentioned being averse to the smell of cordite a while back. Don't worry, cordite wasn't used much after WWII so you aren't likely to ever smell any burning.

Wars are good for the development of the tools of war, and much better propellants became available during the war, mostly from America.

There is still a lot of good developmental work being done on gunpowder, with really nice results.

IP Logged

Snarky Sack

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #75 - Sep 27th, 2018 at 3:58pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Sep 27th, 2018 at 3:47pm:
You mentioned being averse to the smell of cordite a while back. Don't worry, cordite wasn't used much after WWII so you aren't likely to ever smell any burning.

Wars are good for the development of the tools of war, and much better propellants became available during the war, mostly from America.

There is still a lot of good developmental work being done on gunpowder, with really nice results.

I stand corrected, sir.  Thank you!

I have no aversion to the smell of ammunition propellant whatever it is in the modern times.  I enjoy shooting as a sport and a means to practice for self-defense.   

Perhaps the smell coming from the letters from the IRS isn't cordite but the whiff of fascism?

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #76 - Sep 27th, 2018 at 4:37pm
Print Post  
Snarky Sack wrote on Sep 27th, 2018 at 3:58pm:
I have no aversion to the smell of ammunition propellant whatever it is in the modern times.
Propellants have always been used to propel projectiles. Ammunition and projectiles are not the same thing.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #77 - Sep 27th, 2018 at 4:38pm
Print Post  
Snarky Sack wrote on Sep 27th, 2018 at 3:58pm:
Perhaps the smell coming from the letters from the IRS isn't cordite but the whiff of fascism?
Do you know what fascism is?

From the way you use the word, I guess not.

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #78 - Sep 27th, 2018 at 10:26pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Sep 27th, 2018 at 4:38pm:
Do you know what fascism is?

From the way you use the word, I guess not.

Why don't you define it? I bet you can't.

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #79 - Sep 28th, 2018 at 7:24am
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Sep 27th, 2018 at 10:26pm:
Why don't you define it? I bet you can't.
I don't need to. The word has a standard accepted meaning-

https://www.webster-dictionary.org/definition/fascism

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › If You Support Mandatory Insurance...
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy