Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Tax Dollars at Work: Police Recover Man's BK Coupon
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Tax Dollars at Work: Police Recover Man's BK Coupon (Read 133 times)
Snarky Sack
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Tax Dollars at Work: Police Recover Man's BK Coupon
Sep 17th, 2018 at 3:56pm
Print Post  
Your the Government's Tax Dollars at Work!

http://www.foxnews.com/food-drink/2018/09/16/ohio-burger-king-customer-calls-911...

Quote:
A man in Ohio wasn’t allowed to have it his way in a Burger King drive-thru Thursday.

The 73-year-old customer went to the fast food chain in Lakewood for lunch and tried to use a buy-one-get-one Whopper coupon for his purchase.

MCDONALD'S CUSTOMER CALLS 911 OVER COLD BURGER AND FRIES

According to a police dispatch recording, the man claims the fast food worker took his coupon, but would not honor them. The unidentified customer then refused to leave the drive-thru without them.

"No I’m not moving anywhere until you give me back my coupons, anyway the managers taken, I’m calling the police," the caller said to 911 dispatch, FOX8 reports.

The police arrived at the scene Thursday afternoon and discovered the man had “received the coupons in Texas and was advised that they are no good in Ohio,” according to the police report.

FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK FOR MORE FOX LIFESTYLE NEWS

In the report, police state the man was “advised he is not allowed to return to this Burger King.”

Police did confirm that the man received his coupons back and no one was charged in the incident.

Thank GAWD!

Theft is theft, except when it's the morally acceptable theft of taxation.  That man will always be grateful for getting his valuable property back. This is exactly why we must use force to pay for law enforcement.  Who would pay for this kind of fine police work voluntarily?   No one, of course.  Least of all a grouchy old tightwad who makes a stink about a whopper coupon. 

Then what?

Next thing you know, they'll be refusing to take green stamps or give refunds for coke bottles!

"I think I'll backtrack." - Jeff

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Tax Dollars at Work: Police Recover Man's BK Coupon
Reply #1 - Sep 17th, 2018 at 10:28pm
Print Post  
The police arrived at the scene Thursday afternoon and discovered the man had “received the coupons in Texas and was advised that they are no good in Ohio,” according to the police report.

I'm curious whether the coupons said that, or the restaurant said that.

I know you think this is petty but it's a pet peeve of mine because I'm often treated poorly by these sorts of establishments also. I would never involve the police, but this looks to me like the place was trying to take advantage of the old man.

There was no reason to take the coupon and then not honour it. If it was really no good, why confiscate it? The man paid for whatever paper he clipped that coupon from. Taking it away from him actually is theft.

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

Snarky Sack

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #2 - Sep 18th, 2018 at 8:26am
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Sep 17th, 2018 at 10:28pm:

I'm curious whether the coupons said that, or the restaurant said that.

I know you think this is petty but it's a pet peeve of mine because I'm often treated poorly by these sorts of establishments also. I would never involve the police, but this looks to me like the place was trying to take advantage of the old man.

There was no reason to take the coupon and then not honour it. If it was really no good, why confiscate it? The man paid for whatever paper he clipped that coupon from. Taking it away from him actually is theft.

Sure, you're right about that.  I'm not taking sides in the BK vs. Mr. Grouchy Pants conflict.  I'm deploring the use of tax dollars to settle it.

Under my system, that won't be a problem at all.  When coupon guy calls 911, they'll get his debit card information if he doesn't already have it on file with them.  Then he can be instantly charged for the call and for all subsequent services provided. 

That way, he - the person who earned or created the wealth - decides how it is spent.  That's not the way I would spend my money, but since it's his money, it's his decision.

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #3 - Sep 18th, 2018 at 11:37pm
Print Post  
Snarky Sack wrote on Sep 18th, 2018 at 8:26am:
Sure, you're right about that.  I'm not taking sides in the BK vs. Mr. Grouchy Pants conflict.  I'm deploring the use of tax dollars to settle it.

Under my system, that won't be a problem at all.  When coupon guy calls 911, they'll get his debit card information if he doesn't already have it on file with them.  Then he can be instantly charged for the call and for all subsequent services provided. 

That way, he - the person who earned or created the wealth - decides how it is spent.  That's not the way I would spend my money, but since it's his money, it's his decision.

Good system. And Monsanto/iTunes/Whatever can pony up to support stripping IP violators of their property. If they want to prosecute some penniless neckbeard living in his mum's basement for illegally downloading Taylor Swift's Why You Gotta Be So Mean?, then they're welcome to spite their faces off for the mouldy pizza crusts they can take in reparations.

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #4 - Sep 19th, 2018 at 5:14pm
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Sep 18th, 2018 at 11:37pm:
Good system. And Monsanto/iTunes/Whatever can pony up to support stripping IP violators of their property. If they want to prosecute some penniless neckbeard living in his mum's basement for illegally downloading Taylor Swift's Why You Gotta Be So Mean?, then they're welcome to spite their faces off for the mouldy pizza crusts they can take in reparations.
That's a good point lizard, it's very hard to keep people from stealing your product, especially if it is a product of your talent and your mind.

I'm sure people are working on ways to prevent it...

But it's not all bad, especially if you're a band the likes to tour. You can let everybody listen to some of your songs, and then go on tour and make gobs of money.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #5 - Sep 19th, 2018 at 5:15pm
Print Post  
Snarky Sack wrote on Sep 17th, 2018 at 3:56pm:
Your the Government's Tax Dollars at Work!

http://www.foxnews.com/food-drink/2018/09/16/ohio-burger-king-customer-calls-911...

Thank GAWD!

Theft is theft, except when it's the morally acceptable theft of taxation.  That man will always be grateful for getting his valuable property back. This is exactly why we must use force to pay for law enforcement.  Who would pay for this kind of fine police work voluntarily?   No one, of course.  Least of all a grouchy old tightwad who makes a stink about a whopper coupon. 
It sounds made up to me.

Edit: Sorry, you live in a big "progressive" city, right. It's full of assholes working in fast food places isn't it?

Things are much better where I live.

IP Logged

Snarky Sack

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #6 - Sep 20th, 2018 at 4:55pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Sep 19th, 2018 at 5:15pm:
It sounds made up to me.

Edit: Sorry, you live in a big "progressive" city, right. It's full of assholes working in fast food places isn't it?

Things are much better where I live.

Well, yeah...  When the Dairy Queen’s management and staff are all your cousins, you probably never get hassled about a coupon.  Plus when you marry one of them, the reception can be held right there.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Tax Dollars at Work: Police Recover Man's BK Coupon
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy