Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Coming to My Town: Robot Brothels!
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Coming to My Town: Robot Brothels! (Read 304 times)
Jeff
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Coming to My Town: Robot Brothels!
Reply #10 - Sep 27th, 2018 at 10:27am
Print Post  
Snarky Sack wrote on Sep 27th, 2018 at 9:02am:
Actually, I think that standing up for robot brothels is a great place for the LP and libertarians in general to make a stand.

It is, if you want to keep libertarians marginalized and viewed as the people who only care about free sex and drugs.

IP Logged

Snarky Sack

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #11 - Sep 27th, 2018 at 11:49am
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Sep 27th, 2018 at 10:27am:
It is, if you want to keep libertarians marginalized and viewed as the people who only care about free sex and drugs.

Since the mainstream consists of people who believe.  That it is morally justifiable to steal from me to pay for their welfare programs, I’m very comfortable on the margins of that.

Maybe you could state a valid objection to “allowing” people to operate sex doll brothels?

"I think I'll backtrack." - Jeff

IP Logged

Snarky Sack

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #12 - Sep 27th, 2018 at 11:55am
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Sep 27th, 2018 at 7:58am:
Right. That was poorly worded. I left out people.

Move somewhere that people think AI sex robots are a good idea.

See, that is literally the opposite of freedom::  Only being allowed to do things that “people” think are good ideas.

THAT is fascism.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #13 - Sep 27th, 2018 at 1:59pm
Print Post  
Snarky Sack wrote on Sep 27th, 2018 at 11:49am:
Maybe you could state a valid objection to “allowing” people to operate sex doll brothels?

I don't object, I don't care one way or another. There probably isn't a valid objection. That doesn't keep people from objecting.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #14 - Sep 27th, 2018 at 2:00pm
Print Post  
Snarky Sack wrote on Sep 27th, 2018 at 11:55am:
See, that is literally the opposite of freedom::  Only being allowed to do things that “people” think are good ideas.

THAT is fascism.

No it's not.

IP Logged

Snarky Sack

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #15 - Sep 27th, 2018 at 3:01pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Sep 27th, 2018 at 1:59pm:
I don't object, I don't care one way or another. There probably isn't a valid objection. That doesn't keep people from objecting.

It should keep those objections from being codified into a law forbidding an activity that violates no one's rights.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #16 - Sep 27th, 2018 at 4:07pm
Print Post  
Snarky Sack wrote on Sep 27th, 2018 at 3:01pm:
It should keep those objections from being codified into a law forbidding an activity that violates no one's rights.

"It"?

You expect the mostly "progressive" Supreme Court to accept a case pitting state police powers against the idea of general liberty?

Or will you argue for some specific identifiable right to make a living renting out sex robots?

I'd go with general liberty as long as you don't open one in my immediate neighborhood. Grin

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #17 - Sep 27th, 2018 at 10:17pm
Print Post  
Snarky Sack wrote on Sep 27th, 2018 at 9:02am:
Actually, I think that standing up for robot brothels is a great place for the LP and libertarians in general to make a stand.

You'll get your stand out of me precisely because I'm not really a libertarian.

I'm not all about how I can use the NAP to deprive others of everything so they get no practical rights, while making sure I live in the luxury of abundant practical rights.

But just let me show you that I'm not too stupid to do this. (I'm in the top tenth of a percent of IQ scores; of course I can do this.) I just think I shouldn't.

Disclaimer: Nothing in green text is an argument I am actually making. I am showing how such an argument can be made. I do not believe in the soundness of these arguments (they are, however, valid).

If your robot brothel, or other sex shop, devalues my property (which it almost certainly will), then I am permitted to sue you and if my claim is proven true, I am entitled to a remedy. If you cost me half the value of my $500,000 house, then you owe me $250,000.

How many peoples' nice houses are you devaluing, setting up your sex shop in a nice neighbourhood? You want the nice neighbourhood because it provides advantages, but when shops like yours move in, the nighbourhood quickly becomes not-so-nice.

You may not have been the one who took a baseball bat to the windows, but all the same, you did damage my property. And a lot of other peoples' property.

That's aggression.

Recognise this sort of argument? You should. It's a libertarian one.

And it's one I don't agree with.

I don't give a shit what other people do. I only care what I do.

This is why libertarianism is really bad for me, objectively: Because I won't make these sorts of arguments. I don't want every action to be subject to sixty-six sets of lawyeristic mind-games so we can find out who "wins" the NAP and gets his way.

And it's because I would win.

I spent my youth winning because I was clever. I felt so bad about my behaviour that I nearly killed myself. All I want now is a set of rules that are fair to everyone, designed with as little as possible room for interpretation in mind.

If you ask three libertarians how the NAP applies to any given situation, you'll get five different answers. This is a failure as a principle.

Snarky Sack wrote on Sep 27th, 2018 at 11:55am:

THAT is fascism.

Actually that's libertarianism.

Being disallowed from doing what the dictator thinks is a bad idea is more what you're talking about.

The NAP is subject to whatever interpretation gives you the result you want. I just proved that. You think this won't descend into majority-rules, endemically?

The private security companies who enforce the most popular interpretations of the NAP will get no blowback. So they'll have lots of PR people making sure their interpretations are correct.

Look at Jeff. That's average. (He may be even slightly above.) The average person just thinks what he's been taught to. Yes, by the media. This is the sea of people making sure their will (the biggest company's will) is done.

The only difference is that our system doesn't allow Jeff to shoot me in the street because I'm unpopular, and the reason, oddly enough, is because our legislative body isn't accountable to the public.

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #18 - Sep 28th, 2018 at 7:21am
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Sep 27th, 2018 at 10:17pm:
I do not believe in the soundness of these arguments (they are, however, valid).

Cheesy

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #19 - Sep 28th, 2018 at 10:21am
Print Post  

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Coming to My Town: Robot Brothels!
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy