Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Coming to My Town: Robot Brothels!
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Coming to My Town: Robot Brothels! (Read 293 times)
Jeff
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Coming to My Town: Robot Brothels!
Reply #20 - Sep 28th, 2018 at 10:34am
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Sep 28th, 2018 at 10:21am:
No thanks. Your arguments are neither.

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #21 - Sep 28th, 2018 at 10:37am
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Sep 28th, 2018 at 10:34am:
No thanks. Your arguments are neither.

Ah, so you knew what I meant, you just wanted to make fun on the chance that you could convince others I had no idea what I was talking about.

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #22 - Sep 28th, 2018 at 10:47am
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Sep 28th, 2018 at 10:37am:
Ah, so you knew what I meant, you just wanted to make fun on the chance that you could convince others I had no idea what I was talking about.
Anyone who thinks you know what your talking about is welcome to their belief.

What I see you doing is misconstruing both the law and libertarian theories... Nothing new for you.

IP Logged

Snarky Sack

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #23 - Oct 12th, 2018 at 10:15am
Print Post  
It may seem that I'm harping on the robot brothel idea, but I believe the reaction to the idea is emblematic of how we have either become tribal or failed to control our natural tendency to tribalism. 

It is clearly a great business model, buying a durable appliance for a few thousand dollars and renting it out for a few tens of dollars per hour.  If there is any demand for the product at all, you are almost guaranteed to make money while providing a needed/wanted service.  So why aren't there dozens of them in every city? 

Because entrepreneurs are waiting to see if "they make it legal."  Nobody is shocked that elected representatives not only will spend time and money discussing regulating the rental of sex dolls, but that they will likely pass such laws and cities will spend money enforcing them.

Why?

Renting a sex doll is NOT the same prostitution, any more than renting a riding lawnmower is the same as hiring an illegal alien to mow your lawn.

Yes, it could pull a family man away from his family to spend time and money on a selfish pursuit.  The same can be said of football, chess and charity work.  Why not outlaw those things and simply require men to spend every spare minute and spare dollar on there wives and kids?  That's what I did and my family was much happier for it.  The world would absolutely be a better place if men did that, right?  So, let's pass a law!

Sadly, I think I am more likely to sway a statist with that last argument than with the first.

"Taxes are morally justified theft" - Jeff

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #24 - Oct 13th, 2018 at 12:16am
Print Post  
Snarky Sack wrote on Oct 12th, 2018 at 10:15am:
It may seem that I'm harping on the robot brothel idea, but I believe the reaction to the idea is emblematic of how we have either become tribal or failed to control our natural tendency to tribalism. 

I'm the only one here who has none of this tendency whatsoever. It's why I treated racists on this board with the same cordiality I'd be expected to give anyone else.

I got more respect from them than I get from the average poster here, too. And being the dumb shit I am, I don't really care about what they think about someone who has nothing to do with me. I repay respect with respect.

Needless to say, I lost a lot of points here and they were eventually banned.

New wave anti-tribalistic tribalism ftw.

It is clearly a great business model, buying a durable appliance for a few thousand dollars and renting it out for a few tens of dollars per hour.  If there is any demand for the product at all, you are almost guaranteed to make money while providing a needed/wanted service.  So why aren't there dozens of them in every city? 

Because entrepreneurs are waiting to see if "they make it legal."  Nobody is shocked that elected representatives not only will spend time and money discussing regulating the rental of sex dolls, but that they will likely pass such laws and cities will spend money enforcing them.

Why?

Renting a sex doll is NOT the same prostitution, any more than renting a riding lawnmower is the same as hiring an illegal alien to mow your lawn.

Yes, it could pull a family man away from his family to spend time and money on a selfish pursuit.  The same can be said of football, chess and charity work.  Why not outlaw those things and simply require men to spend every spare minute and spare dollar on there wives and kids?  That's what I did and my family was much happier for it.  The world would absolutely be a better place if men did that, right?  So, let's pass a law!

Sadly, I think I am more likely to sway a statist with that last argument than with the first.

I think you're a little off with where you're pointing that finger.

The people in power don't want anyone to be able to make a lot of money unless they have their fingers in the pie. Otherwise they'll squish it out of spite. Eventually, people will get wise and bribe them. Or they won't.

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #25 - Oct 13th, 2018 at 2:20pm
Print Post  

You could make the same good points with something other than sex or drugs, and that, perhaps, would help people understand that libertarians are about much more than just sex and drugs...

How about needing 2 years of training and a certificate from the state in order to be allowed to be a beautician?

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #26 - Oct 13th, 2018 at 5:58pm
Print Post  
This goes to essential ideas about the power that can safely be granted to any government. That makes it very interesting to me.

Edit: There is much precedent in U.S. law that goes strongly against tribalism.

Do you think it's moral for me to be denied the free exercise of my tribal instincts? (As long as I'm careful?)

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #27 - Oct 13th, 2018 at 6:02pm
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Oct 13th, 2018 at 12:16am:
The people in power don't want anyone to be able to make a lot of money unless they have their fingers in the pie. Otherwise they'll squish it out of spite. Eventually, people will get wise and bribe them. Or they won't.
I got a chuckle out of that, thanks. Grin

IP Logged

Snarky Sack

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #28 - Oct 14th, 2018 at 9:08pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Oct 13th, 2018 at 2:20pm:
You could make the same good points with something other than sex or drugs, and that, perhaps, would help people understand that libertarians are about much more than just sex and drugs...

How about needing 2 years of training and a certificate from the state in order to be allowed to be a beautician?

I guess if that's the community's standard, expressed though its elected representatives, the would-be beauticians will just have to meet the standards and pony up the fees. 

Beauty school dropouts cannot be allowed to ruin it for the qualified ones, can they?

Cue the song:

Beauty school dropout . .
No graduation day for you.
Beauty school dropout . . .
Missed your midterms a-and flunked shampoo.

Another example of government protecting us from ourselves.

IP Logged

Snarky Sack

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #29 - Oct 14th, 2018 at 9:14pm
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Oct 13th, 2018 at 12:16am:
I'm the only one here who has none of this tendency whatsoever. It's why I treated racists on this board with the same cordiality I'd be expected to give anyone else.

If you notice me acting tribal, I'd be happy for you to offer constructive criticism.  That's absolutely the root of many evils.

Quote:
I got more respect from them than I get from the average poster here, too. And being the dumb shit I am, I don't really care about what they think about someone who has nothing to do with me. I repay respect with respect.

Needless to say, I lost a lot of points here and they were eventually banned.

New wave anti-tribalistic tribalism ftw.

I think you're a little off with where you're pointing that finger.

I think that church and organized crime work hand in hand with the churches being unwitting partners in the profit making of the gangsters.

When churches talk about banning robot brothels before they even exist, the same criminals who make money off the fact that human prostitution is illegal laugh and get ready to start cashing in. 

The police who take the graft start planning renovations to their houses with the extra money they'll be getting.  The owners won't mind paying protection because organized crime is so much more reliable as business partners than government.  Plus gangsters are highly efficient in ensuring "destructive competition," is eliminated.

Once robot brothels are banned, the price of the bribes can be predictable business expense and the owners are safe.  If they just open them up without the law being settled, they are in danger of being shut down by police and having their property confiscated without due process under forfeiture laws.  They could simply interpret "prostitution" to apply to robots, and BINGO!  Clean the brothel owners bank account to buy more SWAT gear.

That's the result of enforcing community standards through representative government.

Yay, democracy!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Coming to My Town: Robot Brothels!
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy