Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Libertarian Postmodernism
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Libertarian Postmodernism (Read 93 times)
The Opposition
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Libertarian Postmodernism
Reply #10 - Oct 2nd, 2018 at 11:40pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Sep 30th, 2018 at 5:19pm:
People used to kill each other in Europe and in North America over these questions. We don't anymore. That is not moral relativism; it's pluralism. And that's the thing that we need to get back to and understand and fully appreciate. That's the great achievement of Western civilization, if we're using that term... of civilization, that we can disagree on fundamental things and still live peacefully side by side.

Moral pluralism as opposed to moral relativism. Stop trying to split hairs and have a conversation.

There is a limit to what we can disagree on and still live side-by-side. You know that.

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

TYCapitalism
Libertarian Full Member

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #11 - Oct 3rd, 2018 at 8:49am
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Sep 30th, 2018 at 7:34pm:
How fundamental? If you think it's okay to shoot people in the head, and I don't, then we can't live side-by-side.

Sure we can and probably do. It's only when you believe you can violate my fundamental rights that it becomes a problem that needs solving.

Help me buy shotguns for women.
https://www.help50.org/donate
IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #12 - Oct 3rd, 2018 at 8:57am
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Oct 2nd, 2018 at 11:40pm:
Moral pluralism as opposed to moral relativism.

There is a limit to what we can disagree on and still live side-by-side. You know that.
"... of civilization" is important to the point Gillespie is making.

Within a civilized society, people can agree to live peacefully together even if they fundamentally disagree on matters of faith and political belief and lifestyle and culture, but there are things that rise to the level of destroying civilization, of constituting barbaric behavior (such as murder and theft and slavery) that civilized people can't tolerate and remain civilized.

That my neighbor is a Trump "republican" is something I accept, as he accepts that I am a libertarian, and we are good neighbors with common interests outside of politics.

That sort of pluralism is made much easier, more possible, when the government is forbidden to involve itself in matters of political/religious belief. If the government can be captured by Trump "republicans" and libertarian ideas then suppressed and libertarians persecuted for their liberal beliefs, it will be much more difficult for me to accept that my neighbor is a Trump "republican".

A large problem in America, one that makes peaceful pluralism difficult, is the fact that the government is exercising powers beyond what has been granted to them, making laws and regulations that fundamentally challenge the rights of many people to believe what they want to and live as they choose, laws and regulations that can be reversed if some other political faction takes control in the next election.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #13 - Oct 3rd, 2018 at 5:16pm
Print Post  
I have a friend who is a dedicated mush-head liberal who ignores history and creates realities that have nothing to do with reality...

That's also pretty much what he says I do. Roll Eyes

Neither one of us want to control the life of the other, but I can't seem to successfully convince him that his preferences will lead to both of us being controlled by bureaucrats.

He's an investigative media guy who has taken the time to learn about how badly government control works out. I think it's because he's afraid that a lack of government will be even worse that makes him support all sorts of pie-in-the-sky coercive shit. Cry

Edit: Is it pie-in-the-sky thinking to imagine that giving all the children in a community at least a basic education will be a good thing?

Are not good things moral?

(Heads up moral absolutists, I expect an answer!) Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Libertarian Postmodernism
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy