Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Judge Napolitano: What If?
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Judge Napolitano: What If? (Read 147 times)
Snarky Sack
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Judge Napolitano: What If?
Reply #20 - Oct 3rd, 2018 at 2:13pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Oct 3rd, 2018 at 8:42am:
It's a very fundamental deviation. Of another order than hoping that making alcohol more expensive will improve society...

I've mentioned that I don't believe the Whiskey tax was legal because I believe the rule of uniformity for Indirect taxes prevents picking any specific product or transaction for taxation and actually requires that if revenue is to be raised from an excise/sales tax, that all products must be taxed at the same rate

So, you do know that government over-reach illegal taxation started within only a few years of the signing of the constitution?  You do understand that the lawless way our government taxes us did not wait for the “progressive” movement but was a product of the agreed upon growth of the scope and powers of the federal government?

That’s progress!

"I think I'll backtrack." - Jeff

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #21 - Oct 3rd, 2018 at 2:59pm
Print Post  
Snarky Sack wrote on Oct 3rd, 2018 at 2:13pm:
So, you do know that government over-reach illegal taxation started within only a few years of the signing of the constitution?  You do understand that the lawless way our government taxes us did not wait for the “progressive” movement but was a product of the agreed upon growth of the scope and powers of the federal government?

That’s progress!

Progressive taxes applied to wages and salaries without apportionment came with the Progressive Era.

The idea of heavily taxing alcohol or even making it illegal was a leftover from the Puritans.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #22 - Oct 3rd, 2018 at 5:45pm
Print Post  
I'd vote for the Judge if he ran. Smiley

My preferred candidate is John Allison, but he's not told me he's willing to run...

Judge Napalitano isn't willing to run either.

What's the point?.

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #23 - Oct 3rd, 2018 at 10:56pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Oct 3rd, 2018 at 8:42am:
It's a very fundamental deviation. Of another order than hoping that making alcohol more expensive will improve society...

Again you place everything into the realm of smell-tests. What's a big deviation? What's a little one? I knew you wouldn't stick to the one deviation rule for no other reason than it being a rule, and you don't do rules. You just follow your nose.

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #24 - Oct 4th, 2018 at 10:20am
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Oct 3rd, 2018 at 10:56pm:
Again you place everything into the realm of smell-tests.
Your ideas stink! Grin

Really, you think denying that people own themselves, effectively making them slaves of government, is no different than hoping and trying to keep fewer people from becoming drunks by taxing alcohol but otherwise treating them as free self-owning adults?

I better tell you again, I oppose using tax policy to try to change society (and besides, I view it as illegal in the U.S.). I oppose having any government action to try to change society, but, being practical, I see that benefits to a community can be had by offering every child a chance to become educated and likewise benefits are to be had by funding police and courts and jails.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Judge Napolitano: What If?
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy