Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › If Police Come to Arrest me for a Crime I know I Never Committed . . .
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) If Police Come to Arrest me for a Crime I know I Never Committed . . . (Read 2354 times)
The Opposition
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: If Police Come to Arrest me for a Crime I know I Never Committed . . .
Reply #50 - Oct 13th, 2018 at 3:27pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Oct 13th, 2018 at 2:04pm:
You are the contributor here who insists the NAP is the ultimate arbiter of all questions (and you define aggression far too narrowly)

I'm going on the libertarian literature I've read, and what I've picked up here.

If you disagree with my definition of the NAP, provide your own - one that can be followed and that doesn't require the follower to consult your nose's evaluation of a particular situation.

The whole point of judging actions to be right or wrong is so people understand what they can and cannot do before they do it. If they can't have that, then right and wrong, as concepts, are worthless.

And if you like the law how it is (you keep referring to commonlaw) then all I ask is that you stick to that.

Jeff wrote on Oct 13th, 2018 at 2:04pm:
Is it moral to judge every human action and interaction by a moral standard?

If it's not, then nothing can be said about right or wrong at all.

If you want to say some action is wrong, it has to be wrong every time. Add a thousand caveats if you like. Add an "only in this situation" if you like. Add an "only for white people" if you like. But then, when that situation comes round again, that action's rightness or wrongness must remain the same.

If you can't stick to this basic truth, you're not saying anything about right or wrong. It's just flatulence. Even if everyone wants to heed you, they can't, because they have no idea how that same situation will smell to you next time.

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

Josh

Stop looking at me like
that, you pervert.

Reply #51 - Oct 13th, 2018 at 4:46pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Oct 2nd, 2018 at 9:56am:
If you resist with force, they are likely to shoot you, and they will be morally justified in doing so.

Why?

I like big butts and I cannot lie.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #52 - Oct 13th, 2018 at 5:17pm
Print Post  
Josh wrote on Oct 13th, 2018 at 4:46pm:
Why?
For the same reason I would if you attacked me.

IP Logged

Josh

Stop looking at me like
that, you pervert.

Reply #53 - Oct 25th, 2018 at 7:19pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Oct 13th, 2018 at 5:17pm:
For the same reason I would if you attacked me.

If I broke into your home and threatened your life at gunpoint, you would be justifying in shooting me, legally and morally.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #54 - Oct 25th, 2018 at 7:22pm
Print Post  
Josh wrote on Oct 25th, 2018 at 7:19pm:
If I broke into your home and threatened your life at gunpoint, you would be justifying in shooting me, legally and morally.
That's right, and if the police come to your door with a warrant for your arrest and you threaten their lives at gunpoint, they are legally and morally justified in shooting you.

Edit: Sorry, I forgot you're an anarchist now... You believe what? That nobody has the legal power to arrest you, no matter what you've done? Law of the jungle and all that?

IP Logged

Josh

Stop looking at me like
that, you pervert.

Reply #55 - Oct 25th, 2018 at 7:29pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Oct 25th, 2018 at 7:22pm:
That's right, and if the police come to your door with a warrant for your arrest and you threaten their lives at gunpoint, they are legally and morally justified in shooting you.

Edit: Sorry, I forgot you're an anarchist now... You believe what? That nobody has the legal power to arrest you, no matter what you've done? Law of the jungle and all that?

In the scenario outlined by the OP, the victim has done nothing wrong. So no, I don't think anyone has the "right" to aggress against someone who has done nothing wrong.

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #56 - Oct 25th, 2018 at 9:30pm
Print Post  
duplicate deleted
« Last Edit: Oct 26th, 2018 at 12:20pm by SkyChief »  

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #57 - Oct 25th, 2018 at 9:31pm
Print Post  
Josh wrote on Oct 25th, 2018 at 7:19pm:

It doesn't need to be at gunpoint, Josh.  If you broke into Jeff's home, he may presume that you intend to cause  him (or his family) injury or death.

He may shoot you even if you hold no weapons at all.

Its called the "Castle Doctrine"

The Castle Doctrine is a self-defense theory which gives a homeowner the moral and legal right to protect his/her home with the use of deadly force.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #58 - Oct 26th, 2018 at 9:32am
Print Post  
Josh wrote on Oct 25th, 2018 at 7:29pm:
In the scenario outlined by the OP, the victim has done nothing wrong. So no, I don't think anyone has the "right" to aggress against someone who has done nothing wrong.
Mistakes are sometimes made. Even if you are innocent, if you start threatening the police with guns when they show up at your door with a warrant, they have every right to shoot you.

The OP doesn't say what the crime the judge thinks he committed was. Perhaps the warrant was based on false information, something that you can probably clear up pretty easily, but not if you start shooting as soon as the police say "We have a warrant for your arrest."

IP Logged

Little Big Man

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #59 - Oct 26th, 2018 at 11:34am
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Oct 26th, 2018 at 9:32am:
Mistakes are sometimes made. Even if you are innocent, if you start threatening the police with guns when they show up at your door with a warrant, they have every right to shoot you.

The OP doesn't say what the crime the judge thinks he committed was. Perhaps the warrant was based on false information, something that you can probably clear up pretty easily, but not if you start shooting as soon as the police say "We have a warrant for your arrest."

Yeah, and while I'm waiting for it to all be magically cleared up because government always quickly and honestly corrects its mistakes, I can just enjoy being the fish on the cell block?  No thanks. 

Snarky no more!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › If Police Come to Arrest me for a Crime I know I Never Committed . . .
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy