Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › If Police Come to Arrest me for a Crime I know I Never Committed . . .
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) If Police Come to Arrest me for a Crime I know I Never Committed . . . (Read 2396 times)
Jeff
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: If Police Come to Arrest me for a Crime I know I Never Committed . . .
Reply #60 - Oct 26th, 2018 at 1:11pm
Print Post  
Little Big Man wrote on Oct 26th, 2018 at 11:34am:
Yeah, and while I'm waiting for it to all be magically cleared up because government always quickly and honestly corrects its mistakes, I can just enjoy being the fish on the cell block?  No thanks. 
I'll give you the same reply I did before, threaten the police with guns if you think that will work out best for you.

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #61 - Oct 26th, 2018 at 3:42pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Oct 26th, 2018 at 1:11pm:
I'll give you the same reply I did before, threaten the police with guns if you think that will work out best for you.
I hoped you'd reply to this first.

Do you agree that police have a right to protect themselves from deadly harm?

Why would you imagine that the right of self defense would be abrogated when someone hired on as a policeman?

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Little Big Man

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #62 - Oct 26th, 2018 at 4:02pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Oct 26th, 2018 at 3:42pm:
I hoped you'd reply to this first.

Do you agree that police have a right to protect themselves from deadly harm?

Sure, they do.   They should start by disobeying people who tell them to go arrest innocent people.

Quote:
Why would you imagine that the right of self defense would be abrogated when someone hired on as a policeman?

I don't.  If I shoot someone who comes with a gun to do me bodily harm, it isn't to punish them.  It's to defend myself. 

Snarky no more!

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #63 - Oct 26th, 2018 at 4:07pm
Print Post  
Little Big Man wrote on Oct 26th, 2018 at 4:02pm:
Sure, they do.   They should start by disobeying people who tell them to go arrest innocent people.
Right, policemen assigned by their supervisor to carry out a judicially approved arrest should say no... Based on what? That they know you real well and can't believe you would beat and rape someone?

Maybe the Judges decision was wrong, but how would the police serving the warrant know that?

Make your own choice.

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #64 - Oct 26th, 2018 at 4:08pm
Print Post  
Little Big Man wrote on Oct 26th, 2018 at 4:02pm:

I don't.  If I shoot someone who comes with a gun to do me bodily harm, it isn't to punish them.  It's to defend myself. 
Right, that's what the police will be doing if they come to your home and you great them by threatening them with guns.

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Little Big Man

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #65 - Oct 26th, 2018 at 4:10pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Oct 26th, 2018 at 4:08pm:
Right, that's what the police will be doing if they come to your home and you great them by threatening them with guns.

Defending oneself means avoiding a situation in which one is in danger.  You can't attack someone and then claim self defense when they defend themselves.

Yes, it's a bad situation due to aggression that I did not initiate.

But, given the option of being the princess of cell block C and defending myself against an arrest when I'm innocent, I'll take option B.

You are more than welcome to passively comply with the officers and kiss their badge when they push you into the squad car. 

Snarky no more!

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #66 - Oct 26th, 2018 at 4:14pm
Print Post  
Little Big Man wrote on Oct 26th, 2018 at 4:10pm:
Defending oneself means avoiding a situation in which one is in danger.
No. Once again, those are completely different things.

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Little Big Man

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #67 - Oct 29th, 2018 at 4:06pm
Print Post  
Snarky Sack wrote on Oct 26th, 2018 at 4:10pm:
Quote:
Defending oneself means avoiding a situation in which one is in danger.

Jeff wrote on Oct 26th, 2018 at 4:14pm:
No. Once again, those are completely different things.

What possible self-defense scenario starts with the supposed self-defender breaking into an innocent man's house with a gun drawn?

Snarky no more!

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #68 - Oct 29th, 2018 at 5:01pm
Print Post  
Little Big Man wrote on Oct 29th, 2018 at 4:06pm:
Snarky Sack wrote on Oct 26th, 2018 at 4:10pm:

What possible self-defense scenario starts with the supposed self-defender breaking into an innocent man's house with a gun drawn?

Blame the people who sent the SWAT team out based on some drug dealers "information" that some police bureau is willing to buy from him by making a deal, and actually believe. Or the dispatcher that got the address wrong. Or the political heads of the police department that think SWAT teams are the best way to serve warrants.

Police SWAT teams aren't just roaming around the country like ronin Samurai, SWAT teams are created and armed and trained by... Can you guess? "Progressive" big city police departments headed by political appointees.

Nevertheless, even private police, if they have a warrant, are on the business of the Court, and the Court is intending to keep the community safe, misguided as they sometimes are by the laws they have to enforce... But once again, that goes back to the type of politicians who want to use police power to make society better.

From everything I know, libertarians only want to use police power to try to make society safer from murderers and rapists and thieves and suchlike.

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Little Big Man

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #69 - Oct 30th, 2018 at 9:11am
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Oct 29th, 2018 at 5:01pm:
Blame the people who sent the SWAT team out based on some drug dealers "information" that some police bureau is willing to buy from him by making a deal, and actually believe. Or the dispatcher that got the address wrong. Or the political heads of the police department that think SWAT teams are the best way to serve warrants.

Police SWAT teams aren't just roaming around the country like ronin Samurai, SWAT teams are created and armed and trained by... Can you guess? "Progressive" big city police departments headed by political appointees.

Nevertheless, even private police, if they have a warrant, are on the business of the Court, and the Court is intending to keep the community safe, misguided as they sometimes are by the laws they have to enforce... But once again, that goes back to the type of politicians who want to use police power to make society better.

From everything I know, libertarians only want to use police power to try to make society safer from murderers and rapists and thieves and suchlike.

Sure, I'll blame the bosses, not the police officer.  But it's the police officer there to harm me, whether he's "just following orders," or not.  If the judge that issued the warrant decides to ride along with the officer, it's still the officer that's presenting the immediate threat to my life and safety. So it's the officer that I'm defending myself from.  Assuming the judge isn't armed, there would be no justification for shooting him.

Snarky no more!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › If Police Come to Arrest me for a Crime I know I Never Committed . . .
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy