Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Venn Diagrams
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Venn Diagrams (Read 508 times)
Snarky Sack
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Venn Diagrams
Reply #20 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 4:52pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Oct 11th, 2018 at 12:53pm:
For the diagram that would need to be constructed using the categories I prescribed, size of the sets is very important, but very few individuals would be arrogant (or stupid) enough to try to create a Venn diagram out of sets as amorphous and ill defined as those I suggested.

Most libertarians think that a limited government is necessary. I am among them, and you have frequently called me a statist because of it.

It's too bad you can't see the lizard's diagram. It added a set, "minarchists", that I did not include, but included the set "libertarians" which I did specify...

Would you agree with the lizard that libertarians and minarchists are different sets that overlap to some degree? Why?

Yes.

In fact by definition a libertarian is a min-archist imeaning that a libertarian only wants government to have functions that can clearly best be performed by government.  Examples are police, courts and a small standing army.  Firefighting, education, charity, and many other functions have been ceded to government through pressure groups, but a mini-arch-ist/libertarian believes that is bad policy which leads to so-called “morally justified theft.”  Or more correctly they add to the “morally justified theft” that is often used to pay for even the small governments a monarchist prefers. 

In other words, once people say, “By Gum, I’m plumb tired of only some of us townsfolk paying for the sheriff when he keeps us all safe from being robbed.   Let’s tell the sheriff to start morally justified thievery to pay his salary and hire some more deputies.”

Other always say, “Yeah!  Hey, can we also use morally justified theft for that schoolmarm we’re hiring?  With more money, we could get a cuter one, I’ll bet!  I’ve been hankerin’ to learn that readin’ stuff.”

“Why Cletus, that’s brilliant!  You know what else we need?  A town statue of Nathan Bedford Forrest.”

“Perfect, Forest!  Yeah, one with a fountain, maybe!”

“Heck fire!  This morally justified thievery idea of yours.  Is like a bottomless gold mine.  We shoulda thought of this before.  Go get the sheriff and tell him to bring extry bullets!”

(I hope I captured the North Carolina accent and culture correctly)

Quote:
How about the set "anarchists" which the lizard shows intersecting with all the other categories, including "progressives"?

An anarchist "progressive" is an oxymoron to me, a non-existent figment...

My purpose for the post? I'm studying your minds.

About time you studied something . . .

I guess it is possible for a mini-arch-its to be non-libertarian.  One could believe in the smallest government possible but believe that government should use morally thefted dollars to arrest owners of robot brothels.

Say!

That’s you, right Jeff?

"I think I'll backtrack." - Jeff

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #21 - Oct 12th, 2018 at 12:00am
Print Post  
First of all, my circles are all the same size.

How about the set "anarchists" which the lizard shows intersecting with all the other categories,

That's a lie. Anarchists do not intersect with minarchists. I indicated that clearly.

Why ask for a six-way Venn diagram if you can't understand it? You remind me of my cat (and be aware that my Vulcan telepathy allows me to communicate with the beast).

Cat: Give me some of that.
Opposition: No. You don't like this.
Cat: I neeeeeed it.
Opposition: This is salad. It has peppers. It's spicy.
Cat: I want it. Give it to me.
Opposition: Here - have it. See? You don't like it.
Cat: Give me some of the other bits - the bits you still have.
Opposition: It's all more or less the same.
Cat: I don't believe you. It's not all the same. You had meat yesterday. Give me meat.
Opposition: I don't have meat today.
Cat: Yes you do.

including "progressives"?

An anarchist "progressive" is an oxymoron to me, a non-existent figment...

Anarchists (who may or may not call themselves libertarians) may actually be progressives. They want to progress to their ideal system by destroying the current system.

My purpose for the post? I'm studying your minds.

I never believed you were as stupid as you pretend to be.

Snarky Sack wrote on Oct 11th, 2018 at 4:52pm:
(I hope I captured the North Carolina accent and culture correctly)

A+ and very well satirised. Did I ever tell you I put on a fake Southern accent (I picked Tennessee) when I first went to university?

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

Snarky Sack

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #22 - Oct 12th, 2018 at 12:48pm
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Oct 12th, 2018 at 12:00am:
First of all, my circles are all the same size.

That's a lie. Anarchists do not intersect with minarchists. I indicated that clearly.

Why ask for a six-way Venn diagram if you can't understand it? You remind me of my cat (and be aware that my Vulcan telepathy allows me to communicate with the beast).

Cat: Give me some of that.
Opposition: No. You don't like this.
Cat: I neeeeeed it.
Opposition: This is salad. It has peppers. It's spicy.
Cat: I want it. Give it to me.
Opposition: Here - have it. See? You don't like it.
Cat: Give me some of the other bits - the bits you still have.
Opposition: It's all more or less the same.
Cat: I don't believe you. It's not all the same. You had meat yesterday. Give me meat.
Opposition: I don't have meat today.
Cat: Yes you do.

Anarchists (who may or may not call themselves libertarians) may actually be progressives. They want to progress to their ideal system by destroying the current system.

I never believed you were as stupid as you pretend to be.

A+ and very well satirised. Did I ever tell you I put on a fake Southern accent (I picked Tennessee) when I first went to university?

LoL!

One of the funniest Friends episodes was the one in which Ross was hired a temporary adjunct professor and started to speak to the first class in an English accent out of nervousness.  He was forced to maintain it and then . . . comedy ensued.

"I think I'll backtrack." - Jeff

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #23 - Oct 13th, 2018 at 12:06am
Print Post  
Snarky Sack wrote on Oct 12th, 2018 at 12:48pm:
One of the funniest Friends episodes was the one in which Ross was hired a temporary adjunct professor and started to speak to the first class in an English accent out of nervousness.  He was forced to maintain it and then . . . comedy ensued.

I wanted to know if people thought Southerners were stupid. So I maintained the accent as I sat at the top of every class and occasionally pulled out one of my genius tricks like remembering an entire page full of sequences of two-digit numbers (though I used things like chunking to help with that).

I got a flat admission from one of my unwitting test subjects.

"Oh wow. You don't expect that from someone with such a sexy Southern drawl."

So I dropped the accent and told her what I was about.

It didn't end well.

I had expected to be hailed for exposing bias.

Despite being a supergenius, I was very, very stupid when I was young.

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #24 - Oct 14th, 2018 at 5:06pm
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Oct 13th, 2018 at 12:06am:
I had expected to be hailed for exposing bias.

Despite being a supergenius, I was very, very stupid when I was young.
What makes you think anything has changed?

From what I have read from you, you still don't understand people. That makes you stupid about a lot of things.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #25 - Oct 14th, 2018 at 5:10pm
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Oct 13th, 2018 at 12:06am:
So I maintained the accent as I sat at the top of every class and occasionally pulled out one of my genius tricks like remembering an entire page full of sequences of two-digit numbers...
I had a math teacher in High School that could visualize a slide rule and use his envisioned rule to find natural logs to three decimal places. He was a good math teacher too and he never pretended to be anything but himself.

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #26 - Oct 15th, 2018 at 11:05pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Oct 14th, 2018 at 5:06pm:
What makes you think anything has changed?

From what I have read from you, you still don't understand people. That makes you stupid about a lot of things.

I understand now that people want their biases; they just want to pretend they don't have any biases to virtue-signal. They want to stay in their intellectual comfort zone because sometimes, examined lives are scary. Plus, examining one's own beliefs makes cognitive dissonance and all that.

Jeff wrote on Oct 14th, 2018 at 5:10pm:
I had a math teacher in High School that could visualize a slide rule and use his envisioned rule to find natural logs to three decimal places. He was a good math teacher too and he never pretended to be anything but himself.

Does me pretending to be a Vulcan offend you? Or are you just terrified of Vulcans? Given our personality, and yours, it's not really that surprising a fear.

I imagine you waking up at night in a cold sweat, shouting, "No! X can be not-X!!!" Slowly, your horror subsides as you realise that the people who showed you that X must equal itself aren't real, and you go back to sleep.

(I'm white. This is the only way I get to have a culture and not be tormented for either racism if I do something European or cultural appropriation if I do something non-European.)

-SnarkySack

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #27 - Oct 16th, 2018 at 6:11pm
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Oct 15th, 2018 at 11:05pm:
I understand now that people want their biases; they just want to pretend they don't have any biases to virtue-signal. They want to stay in their intellectual comfort zone because sometimes, examined lives are scary. Plus, examining one's own beliefs makes cognitive dissonance and all that.
You never left school, so you think all those University people, the only people you know, are representative of all humanity?

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #28 - Oct 16th, 2018 at 6:15pm
Print Post  
Does me pretending to be a Vulcan offend you?
It puzzled me for a while.

I couldn't figure out why a powerful Dragon who is able to fart enough flames out its ass to incinerate small villages (if the huts have thatched roofs) would want to stoop to being a Vulcan...

I figured it out. I was never offended. Kiss

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #29 - Oct 16th, 2018 at 6:19pm
Print Post  
(I'm white. This is the only way I get to have a culture and not be tormented for either racism if I do something European or cultural appropriation if I do something non-European.)
No, that's wrong.

I think you lie again.

I noticed that a tendency to like to lie was one of the Official Symptoms of Sociopathy (a Personality Disorder that merits classification as a Mental Disorder Smiley).

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Venn Diagrams
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy