Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Harvard Law Professor Goes Bonkers - Abolish The Supreme Court!
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Harvard Law Professor Goes Bonkers - Abolish The Supreme Court! (Read 134 times)
The Opposition
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Harvard Law Professor Goes Bonkers - Abolish The Supreme Court!
Reply #10 - Oct 14th, 2018 at 8:13pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Oct 14th, 2018 at 7:23pm:
These are desperate times.  Leftists are circling the wagons.  They will do or say anything to regain lost power.

Including buy Trump and use him to "win" the election?

Two things that intrigue me are that the Leftists only need to buy time before the population turns over and they win by default, forever; and secondly, that Trump's bread and butter is his image as the rich guy, but something Stevea posted indicated he wasn't actually that successful as a businessman, on his own.

I wonder if the Left bought him to placate the current population, making us think we "won" so we won't fight, while we still potentially could.

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #11 - Oct 15th, 2018 at 7:27am
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Oct 14th, 2018 at 7:23pm:
Professor Tushnet suggests abolishing the Supreme Court so that Roe v Wade can never be challenged.

I'm not sure I see why past decisions of an abolished institution would be considered to remain effective... Wouldn't S.Ct. precedents go away with the court?

Anyway, without a Supreme Court to say it's unconstitutional, what would prevent a state legislature from making a new law criminalizing abortion?

What I think the neo-liberals actually fear is decisions returning the Constitution to a document of limited enumerated powers and limited powers of taxation.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #12 - Oct 15th, 2018 at 7:49am
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Oct 14th, 2018 at 8:13pm:
Two things that intrigue me are that the Leftists only need to buy time before the population turns over and they win by default, forever; and secondly, that Trump's bread and butter is his image as the rich guy, but something Stevea posted indicated he wasn't actually that successful as a businessman, on his own.

I wonder if the Left bought him to placate the current population, making us think we "won" so we won't fight, while we still potentially could.
It's nice you can predict future political beliefs and be certain that communism is sure to win out ("forever", like the Soviet Union)... Isn't that called "historical determinism"?

I've not heard more about it, but it seems that Trump was laundering money for his Father's companies and getting rich while evading taxes, and the fact that he'd bankrupted numerous businesses was known before he was elected.

Hillary was supposed to win. History had determined that it was her turn... Cheesy

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #13 - Oct 15th, 2018 at 11:33am
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Oct 15th, 2018 at 7:27am:
I'm not sure I see why past decisions of an abolished institution would be considered to remain effective... Wouldn't S.Ct. precedents go away with the court?

Anyway, without a Supreme Court to say it's unconstitutional, what would prevent a state legislature from making a new law criminalizing abortion?
Good point.

"Not thinking things through is the cornerstone of statist thought." - SnarkySack

Jeff wrote on Oct 15th, 2018 at 7:27am:
What I think the neo-liberals actually fear is decisions returning the Constitution to a document of limited enumerated powers and limited powers of taxation.

My conservative friends are just as fond of taxes as the neo-liberals.  Of course, the conservatives want the taxes to fund things other than Planned Parenthood, Medicaid and welfare.

But they're mighty "proud" to be paying taxes.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #14 - Oct 15th, 2018 at 5:10pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Oct 15th, 2018 at 11:33am:
My conservative friends are just as fond of taxes as the neo-liberals.  Of course, the conservatives want the taxes to fund things other than Planned Parenthood, Medicaid and welfare.

But they're mighty "proud" to be paying taxes.
I don't know anybody like that.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Harvard Law Professor Goes Bonkers - Abolish The Supreme Court!
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy