Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › My Lawsuit is Being Settled. Twenty Million Dollars!
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) My Lawsuit is Being Settled. Twenty Million Dollars! (Read 297 times)
Snarky Sack
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

My Lawsuit is Being Settled. Twenty Million Dollars!
Oct 17th, 2018 at 3:54pm
Print Post  
Unfortunately, it was a class action that I knew nothing about. 

Some lawyers found some supposedly false claim on the Sams Club brand protein drink and launched a huge lawsuit "on behalf of" me and millions of others who bought it.  I knew nothing about it until I got a postcard yesterday.

So there's a twenty million dollar prize pool, er, I mean settlement pool. No doubt they arrived at that figure by estimating the cost of defense and rounding down.  All I gotta do is fill out some paperwork and I can get "up to" fifty cents per case that I bought back about four years ago.  I bought at the most ten cases and it really did help me lose weight and gain muscle at the same time, so I got no complaints and I sure don't have time to do paperwork chasing five bucks.

Likely few will "cash in," leaving the lawyers to eat up the rest in contingency fees.

That's the kind of court "protection" that statists think people should be robbed at gunpoint to pay for.  I say let the lawyers bear the entire cost of the court system they feed off of.  Why should the consumer/taxpayer, not only feed them their slop but also build them their trough? 

"I think I'll backtrack." - Jeff

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Re: My Lawsuit is Being Settled. Twenty Million Dollars!
Reply #1 - Oct 17th, 2018 at 5:36pm
Print Post  
Snarky Sack wrote on Oct 17th, 2018 at 3:54pm:
Unfortunately, it was a class action that I knew nothing about. 

Some lawyers found some supposedly false claim on the Sams Club brand protein drink and launched a huge lawsuit "on behalf of" me and millions of others who bought it.  I knew nothing about it until I got a postcard yesterday.

So there's a twenty million dollar prize pool, er, I mean settlement pool. No doubt they arrived at that figure by estimating the cost of defense and rounding down.  All I gotta do is fill out some paperwork and I can get "up to" fifty cents per case that I bought back about four years ago.  I bought at the most ten cases and it really did help me lose weight and gain muscle at the same time, so I got no complaints and I sure don't have time to do paperwork chasing five bucks.

Likely few will "cash in," leaving the lawyers to eat up the rest in contingency fees.

That's the kind of court "protection" that statists think people should be robbed at gunpoint to pay for.  I say let the lawyers bear the entire cost of the court system they feed off of.  Why should the consumer/taxpayer, not only feed them their slop but also build them their trough? 

The thing about it Red, the funny thing, is that the Judges that allow such suits to proceed are almost always of the "progressive" ideology and want to punish capitalists at every opportunity, allow them to be portrayed in court as greedy pigs that The People's Jury will happily validate by hoping to ruin them, the nasty exploiters!

Edit: the next step is to have the award greatly reduced by an Appeals Court, then, "progressives" can claim the Courts are in the pockets of big business so Courts should be abolished.

It's all very complicated.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #2 - Oct 17th, 2018 at 5:42pm
Print Post  
Snarky Sack wrote on Oct 17th, 2018 at 3:54pm:
That's the kind of court "protection" that statists think people should be robbed at gunpoint to pay for.

You're saying that statists hate capitalism, so they want to tax people to have 'progressive' courts destroy it?

That sounds nuts to me. Cheesy

IP Logged

Snarky Sack

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #3 - Oct 18th, 2018 at 10:38am
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Oct 17th, 2018 at 5:36pm:
The thing about it Red, the funny thing, is that the Judges that allow such suits to proceed are almost always of the "progressive" ideology and want to punish capitalists at every opportunity, allow them to be portrayed in court as greedy pigs that The People's Jury will happily validate by hoping to ruin them, the nasty exploiters!

Edit: the next step is to have the award greatly reduced by an Appeals Court, then, "progressives" can claim the Courts are in the pockets of big business so Courts should be abolished.

It's all very complicated.

Right, things get complicated when you try to justify "moral theft."

No theft, no batty lawsuits.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #4 - Oct 18th, 2018 at 2:28pm
Print Post  
Snarky Sack wrote on Oct 18th, 2018 at 10:38am:
Right, things get complicated when you try to justify "moral theft."

No theft, no batty lawsuits.

You were talking about fraud, a false claim made about a product.

Or at least you purported to be talking about fraud, since you seem to not know anything at all specific about the claim, only that is was said to be false. We are left to imagine how or if anyone might have actually been harmed,..

Fraud is not "moral theft" (whatever you might think that is) but simply theft.

Were you trying to say that Sam's Club had a moral purpose in making false claims about a product it sold?

IP Logged

Snarky Sack

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #5 - Oct 18th, 2018 at 3:47pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Oct 18th, 2018 at 2:28pm:
You were talking about fraud, a false claim made about a product.

Or at least you purported to be talking about fraud, since you seem to not know anything at all specific about the claim, only that is was said to be false. We are left to imagine how or if anyone might have actually been harmed,..

Fraud is not "moral theft" (whatever you might think that is) but simply theft.

Were you trying to say that Sam's Club had a moral purpose in making false claims about a product it sold?

I have no idea what you're going on about.

The "moral theft" that allowed this absurd lawsuit to proceed was the taxes that built the grand courthouses in which lawyers can battle each other for high stakes. 

As to the merits of the suit, let's say that the company did make false claims about it's product.  Does that justify the suit?

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #6 - Oct 18th, 2018 at 5:37pm
Print Post  
Snarky Sack wrote on Oct 18th, 2018 at 3:47pm:
The "moral theft" that allowed this absurd lawsuit to proceed was the taxes that built the grand courthouses in which lawyers can battle each other for high stakes. 

As to the merits of the suit, let's say that the company did make false claims about it's product.  Does that justify the suit?

What were the false claims? Who was harmed by them? No judgement can be made without knowing that.

Right, keep on about taxation and anything that has been supported and sustained by taxation, such as courts, being "moral theft", without ever explaining what you mean by "moral theft".

If you mean that legal taxes used for legal purposes are moral, say so.

If you think taxes are theft, but fall into a category of "moral theft" rather than being "immoral theft", please entertain me by explaining. Thanks.

IP Logged

Snarky Sack

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #7 - Oct 19th, 2018 at 9:47am
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Oct 18th, 2018 at 5:37pm:
What were the false claims? Who was harmed by them? No judgement can be made without knowing that.

Right, keep on about taxation and anything that has been supported and sustained by taxation, such as courts, being "moral theft", without ever explaining what you mean by "moral theft".

If you mean that legal taxes used for legal purposes are moral, say so.

If you think taxes are theft, but fall into a category of "moral theft" rather than being "immoral theft", please entertain me by explaining. Thanks.

It was you who said that,“Taxes are morally justified theft,” so you explain that.

IP Logged

Snarky Sack

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #8 - Oct 19th, 2018 at 10:02am
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Oct 18th, 2018 at 5:37pm:

I guess that’s one difference between you and I.  Using the courts to get a twenty million dollar judgement on behalf of claimants who end up getting fifty cents while. The lawyers get millions?  I can judge the merits of that with no further information.

IP Logged

lksalksa123

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #9 - Oct 19th, 2018 at 12:28pm
Print Post  
Certainly the amount of frivolous lawsuits that this country sees is despicable.  There must be harsher guidelines put forth that limit what can be done legally, yet you must be careful what you ask for because laws that are too lax will result in recklessness and death.  Terrified of being sued, companies watch every step they make and every product they put out to avoid lawsuits.   There must be a middle ground here where lawyers are not taking advantage of the system to make millions of dollars while costing the taxpayer as well.

JWS

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › My Lawsuit is Being Settled. Twenty Million Dollars!
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy