Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › My Lawsuit is Being Settled. Twenty Million Dollars!
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) My Lawsuit is Being Settled. Twenty Million Dollars! (Read 300 times)
genepool
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: My Lawsuit is Being Settled. Twenty Million Dollars!
Reply #10 - Oct 19th, 2018 at 1:10pm
Print Post  
Can I see the court cases?

Class action lawsuits. Interesting.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #11 - Oct 19th, 2018 at 3:37pm
Print Post  
Snarky Sack wrote on Oct 19th, 2018 at 9:47am:
It was you who said that,“Taxes are morally justified theft,” so you explain that.

If you wanted me to explain (again) what I meant by morally justified theft, you should have mentioned morally justified theft.

What I meant was, taxation used for moral purposes like protecting people's rights and lives and property is morally justified, actually a good thing. At the most very basic level, taxation is theft, but legally authorized taxation used for legally authorized purposes is good; both legally and morally justified theft.

I think I'll backtrack. I now think that legally authorized taxation is no more theft than is the collection of authorized dues by any private organization. Non-payment of either carries penalties.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #12 - Oct 19th, 2018 at 3:39pm
Print Post  
Snarky Sack wrote on Oct 19th, 2018 at 9:47am:
It was you who said that,“Taxes are morally justified theft,” so you explain that.

It was you who claimed to be the recipient of an award in a class action lawsuit for fraud. What was the fraud? Who was harmed and how?

IP Logged

Snarky Sack

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #13 - Oct 19th, 2018 at 3:44pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Oct 19th, 2018 at 3:39pm:
It was you who claimed to be the recipient of an award in a class action lawsuit for fraud. What was the fraud? Who was harmed and how?

I have no idea.  I got a post card from a law firm telling me I can get fifty cents for every case of the protein drink I bought several years ago.  No one admitted fraud or harm, they just agreed to pay the lawyers the extortion money, with tax-funded courts as the enforcers of the extortion.

You think that might be a good way to redistribute wealth, if you knew more details.  I don't.  That's how we differ.

"I think I'll backtrack." - Jeff

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #14 - Oct 19th, 2018 at 3:46pm
Print Post  
lksalksa123 wrote on Oct 19th, 2018 at 12:28pm:
Certainly the amount of frivolous lawsuits that this country sees is despicable.  There must be harsher guidelines put forth that limit what can be done legally, yet you must be careful what you ask for because laws that are too lax will result in recklessness and death.  Terrified of being sued, companies watch every step they make and every product they put out to avoid lawsuits.   There must be a middle ground here where lawyers are not taking advantage of the system to make millions of dollars while costing the taxpayer as well. 
You are certainly correct, and if Judges follow the precepts of the common law of torts, they won't allow frivolous lawsuits to proceed.

One problem in the whole mess is allowing plaintiffs to cherry pick the courts where they want to file their suits. Since Sam's Club sold the product with the supposedly fraudulent claim in lots of different states, the plaintiff's lawyers will seek out an area where they think the can convince a jury that all big capitalistic companies are essentialy evil and are stealing wealth from all of us, so Sam's Club should be punished whether they did something wrong in the special instance or not, because Sam's Club is a capitalistic raper of the common people to begin with.

IP Logged

Snarky Sack

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #15 - Oct 19th, 2018 at 3:47pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Oct 19th, 2018 at 3:37pm:
If you wanted me to explain (again) what I meant by morally justified theft, you should have mentioned morally justified theft.

What I meant was, taxation used for moral purposes like protecting people's rights and lives and property is morally justified, actually a good thing. At the most very basic level, taxation is theft, but legally authorized taxation used for legally authorized purposes is good; both legally and morally justified theft.

I think I'll backtrack. I now think that legally authorized taxation is no more theft than is the collection of authorized dues by any private organization. Non-payment of either carries penalties.

Thank you for backtracking, but you were more right when you at least admitted it was theft.

However, in light of your admission of being wrong, I'll take your quote out of my signature.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #16 - Oct 19th, 2018 at 3:54pm
Print Post  
Snarky Sack wrote on Oct 19th, 2018 at 3:44pm:
I have no idea.  I got a post card from a law firm telling me I can get fifty cents for every case of the protein drink I bought several years ago.  No one admitted fraud or harm, they just agreed to pay the lawyers the extortion money, with tax-funded courts as the enforcers of the extortion.

You think that's a good way to redistribute wealth, I don't.  That's how we differ.

I think redistribution of wealth by frivolous lawsuits is a particularly evil thing to do, since, in the case you say happened, lawyers will get most of the money and everyone buying products from Sam's Club will pay.

You imagine if the same lawyers had taken the same claim to a private court where they hired the judge and jury to hear the case, the outcome would have been different? In such a system, you might have received a post card telling you that the protein drink you liked to buy from Sam's Club was the subject of a fraud claim, and asking you to contribute to defend Sam's Club...

No, that wouldn't happen... What would?

Why would Sam's Club even agree to appear in the court hired by the "class action" lawyers? If the private court found Sam's Club guilty of fraud in absentia and exacted a huge penalty, why would Sam's Club pay?

IP Logged

Snarky Sack

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #17 - Oct 19th, 2018 at 4:01pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Oct 19th, 2018 at 3:54pm:
I think redistribution of wealth by frivolous lawsuits is a particularly evil thing to do, since, in the case you say happened, lawyers will get most of the money and everyone buying products from Sam's Club will pay.

You imagine if the same lawyers had taken the same claim to a private court where they hired the judge and jury to hear the case, the outcome would have been different? In such a system, you might have received a post card telling you that the protein drink you liked to buy from Sam's Club was the subject of a fraud claim, and asking you to contribute to defend Sam's Club...

No, that wouldn't happen... What would?

Why would Sam's Club even agree to appear in the court hired by the "class action" lawyers? If the private court found Sam's Club guilty of fraud in absentia and exacted a huge penalty, why would Sam's Club pay?

Yeah, having the lawyers hire the judge is a really bad idea.   

It comes from  your imagination, no one that I know ever advocated that.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #18 - Oct 19th, 2018 at 4:25pm
Print Post  
Snarky Sack wrote on Oct 19th, 2018 at 3:47pm:
Thank you for backtracking, but you were more right when you at least admitted it was theft.

However, in light of your admission of being wrong, I'll take your quote out of my signature.
You do understand that I realized that my error was in saying that taxation is theft of any kind?

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #19 - Oct 19th, 2018 at 4:29pm
Print Post  
Snarky Sack wrote on Oct 19th, 2018 at 4:01pm:
Yeah, having the lawyers hire the judge is a really bad idea.   

It comes from  your imagination, no one that I know ever advocated that.

I distinctly remember a time when you claimed that private courts and private police were the libertarian ideal.

I guess we'll never learn from you whether Sam's Club committed fraud or not.

Anyway, I'll stick with my contention that it is anti-capitalist "progressives" that are behind the perversion of our system of justice, and that only anti-capitalist "progressives" think it's a good idea... But of course "progressives" are statists.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › My Lawsuit is Being Settled. Twenty Million Dollars!
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy