Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Geolibertarianism - Opinions from Intelligent Posters?
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Geolibertarianism - Opinions from Intelligent Posters? (Read 216 times)
Jeff
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Geolibertarianism - Opinions from Intelligent Posters?
Reply #10 - Oct 19th, 2018 at 8:49am
Print Post  
Snarky Sack wrote on Oct 19th, 2018 at 8:42am:
Sure.  By restricting government revenues to only what they can convince people to pay to least the land.
You haven't even the faintest idea of how monopolies enforced by law work do you?

If the law says I own all the land, I can charge whatever I want to lease it to whoever I choose, or not. I don't have to convince potential leasers of anything, I just choose who I want to lease to and tell them how much it's going to cost.

Take a vacation Red, you're sounding like a fool again.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #11 - Oct 19th, 2018 at 8:52am
Print Post  
By not renting it if the government charges too  much.
Ha ha. Then you will do what? Live as a transient, vagrant, hobo, bum... Certainly you will never start a business if the government doesn't want you to start a business, because the government will make sure you can't afford to lease any of it's land.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #12 - Oct 19th, 2018 at 8:56am
Print Post  
Your arguments are asinine considering you don't believe that people do not have the right to own land if the community decides to tax it at any amount it deems necessary to pay for what it wants.

That's a pretty confusing statement Red... All those negatives pile up in my average brain... Grin Edit: As I've said, taxation is an infringement on an absolute right to own property, but it doesn't abrogate the right... See, I did understand you, although I'm tired of you making absurd hyperbolic statements in support of anarchy.

Since you can't understand the limiting effect of a rule of apportionment for direct taxes, tell me your preferred method of stopping my town from collecting property taxes to fund our schools.

Is there a libertarian option that wouldn't involve calling on the police power of the State?

IP Logged

Snarky Sack

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #13 - Oct 19th, 2018 at 9:20am
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Oct 19th, 2018 at 8:52am:
Ha ha. Then you will do what? Live as a transient, vagrant, hobo, bum... Certainly you will never start a business if the government doesn't want you to start a business, because the government will make sure you can't afford to lease any of it's land.

If the government charges so much for land that no one leases it, then the government won’t make any money.

How do you think people can ever own land without government?

"I think I'll backtrack." - Jeff

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #14 - Oct 19th, 2018 at 3:00pm
Print Post  
Snarky Sack wrote on Oct 19th, 2018 at 9:20am:
If the government charges so much for land that no one leases it, then the government won’t make any money.

How do you think people can ever own land without government?

What will prevent a government that owns all the land from using it's ownership as a tool of political repression? Why do you assume that the government will not pick who it wants to have lease land and charge them a low price, and who it does not want to lease land and charge them a high price, or indeed, refuse to lease at all to people who might oppose the governments views?

There are examples of governments that claim ownership of all the land in their countries in the world today. They are uniformly oppressive authoritarian regimes.

As I said, the ownership of property, including land, is a natural right. Without government to record and protect the ownership of land, people will do as they did before government, they will protect what land they own with force if such proves necessary.

I have to assume that you think legally granted monopolies are good things, that if Standard Oil is granted a legal monopoly on the sale of gasoline, that they will charge exactly the "right" price", because otherwise no one would by their fuel?

Or that if Trump Inc. is granted a legal monopoly on ownership of all the buildings in the U.S., they won't charge "too much" to rent and lease space in them, lest no one rent from them at all, so they wouldn't make any money?

IP Logged

Snarky Sack

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #15 - Oct 19th, 2018 at 3:22pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Oct 19th, 2018 at 3:00pm:
What will prevent a government that owns all the land from using it's ownership as a tool of political repression?

The fact that it's limited revenue will keep it too small.

Quote:
Why do you assume that the government will not pick who it wants to have lease land and charge them a low price, and who it does not want to lease land and charge them a high price, or indeed, refuse to lease at all to people who might oppose the governments views?
It does all that now, so that is not a problem of geolibertarianism, but with government in general.  Geolibertarianism will keep it too small to do much damage.

Quote:
There are examples of governments that claim ownership of all the land in their countries in the world today. They are uniformly oppressive authoritarian regimes.

I know, and you lack imagination so you assume that it can never work.

You only use your imagination when you imagine that a master raping a fourteen year old slave is a romance.

"I think I'll backtrack." - Jeff

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #16 - Oct 19th, 2018 at 4:07pm
Print Post  
Snarky Sack wrote on Oct 19th, 2018 at 3:22pm:
The fact that it's limited revenue will keep it too small.

Is that working out for North Korea?

Are you aware of how it works today in Communist China?

You say the Communist Party of China is a "geolibertarian" government, constrained by not being able to charge too much rent for the land it leases out, and thus severely limited in power over it's people? Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #17 - Oct 19th, 2018 at 4:11pm
Print Post  
Snarky Sack wrote on Oct 19th, 2018 at 3:22pm:
It does all that now...
Yes, the U.S. government does that with land it claims to own in the name of the People.

You like it that mineral rights are leased to the companies with the best lobbyists who spend the most on political campaigns, or to people who are politically connected of family members of the bureaucrats making the lease decisions.

In fact, you think it's such a swell idea, you want to put the entire U.S. under the management of BLM bureaucrats. Cheesy

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #18 - Oct 20th, 2018 at 12:30am
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Oct 19th, 2018 at 8:49am:
You haven't even the faintest idea of how monopolies enforced by law work do you?

If the law says I own all the land, I can charge whatever I want to lease it to whoever I choose, or not. I don't have to convince potential leasers of anything, I just choose who I want to lease to and tell them how much it's going to cost.

Take a vacation Red, you're sounding like a fool again.

I like how changing one word of the post you quoted makes your post a refutal of capitalism.

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #19 - Oct 20th, 2018 at 8:50am
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Oct 20th, 2018 at 12:30am:
I like how changing one word of the post you quoted makes your post a refutal of capitalism.
I've noticed you like to use lies to try to make your points.

Should I post the official APA symptoms of your self diagnosed mental disorder/personality defect again, or do remember that it includes lying?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Geolibertarianism - Opinions from Intelligent Posters?
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy