Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Stark Messages from the Khashoggi Case
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Stark Messages from the Khashoggi Case (Read 203 times)
BobK71
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Stark Messages from the Khashoggi Case
Oct 19th, 2018 at 12:51pm
Print Post  
1. It's not about Saudi brutality: Western politicians and media have been ignoring the 1 million casualties in Yemen caused by the Saudi entry into the war.  Now the death of one man is important enough for boycotts and wall-to-wall coverage?

2. It's probably about a changing US relationship with Saudi Arabia or Mohammad bin Salman.  And we can be sure that the cause of the change is not human rights!

3. It does look more and more likely there is a deep state.  Who in the West decided to turn against Saudi Arabia and/or MbS?  Doesn't look like it's Trump, its nominal leader.  But Trump himself is being 'trumped,' on this issue, by some powerful and unified force.

IP Logged

Snarky Sack

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Stark Messages from the Khashoggi Case
Reply #1 - Oct 19th, 2018 at 2:11pm
Print Post  
Such a great argument for minding our own bee's wax.

"I think I'll backtrack." - Jeff

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #2 - Oct 19th, 2018 at 3:22pm
Print Post  
Many people mistakenly think of Saudi Arabia as an ally.

They are not.  Saudi Arabia is an interest.  There's a difference.

They have agreed to sell cheap oil for US dollars.  The US has agreed to sell cheap arms to the Saudis.

That's all.  If the Saudis suddenly stopped selling their oil for US dollars, they would just be another country in the M.E.

If the US stopped selling cheap arms to the Saudis, they would become disinterested with the US, and sever all ties - business and diplomatic.

There's the stark reality.   

IP Logged

BobK71

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #3 - Oct 19th, 2018 at 4:23pm
Print Post  
Snarky Sack wrote on Oct 19th, 2018 at 2:11pm:
Such a great argument for minding our own bee's wax.

To use Trump's language, we wouldn't last a week without our empire.

If anyone thinks we can get the world to accept the paper money we print as valuable, alongside the debt we incur payable only in this paper money, without direct or indirect military threat, they would need to think again.

That is the stark reality of the world.  Robbery.  Of course, in this day and age, we dress it up more nicely than the Romans.  We call our operations, among other things, regime change for human rights.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #4 - Oct 19th, 2018 at 4:37pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Oct 19th, 2018 at 3:22pm:
Many people mistakenly think of Saudi Arabia as an ally.

They are not.  Saudi Arabia is an interest.  There's a difference.

They have agreed to sell cheap oil for US dollars.  The US has agreed to sell cheap arms to the Saudis.

That's all.  If the Saudis suddenly stopped selling their oil for US dollars, they would just be another country in the M.E.

If the US stopped selling cheap arms to the Saudis, they would become disinterested with the US, and sever all ties - business and diplomatic.

There's the stark reality.   
There is (or was) more to it than just Saudi oil. Every country in the world plays geopolitical games, and the Saudi's were seen as a country that could be used to counterbalance the interests of other world powers in the Middle East, acting to support U.S. interests while deriving lots of benefits for the Saudi Royal family. No doubt the Deep State thought they could use Saudi support of terrorism to serve U.S. interests by directing Saudi funded terrorism. Maybe they have been successful... It's hard to know what the Deep State really wants, or to know what exactly they have had their hands in.

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #5 - Oct 19th, 2018 at 4:52pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Oct 19th, 2018 at 4:37pm:
No doubt the Deep State thought they could use Saudi support of terrorism to serve U.S. interests by directing Saudi funded terrorism.

That's ironic since it was the Saudis who funded the perps of the 9/11 attacks!   Grin

The point I was making is that if Saudi Arabia had no oil, the US would have nothing to do with them.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #6 - Oct 19th, 2018 at 5:43pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Oct 19th, 2018 at 4:52pm:
The point I was making is that if Saudi Arabia had no oil, the US would have nothing to do with them.
And I was politely disagreeing. As I remember, there was great fear of the Soviet Union taking over the entire Middle East...

They never did, but now it seems prudent to let Russia have Turkey if they want to... Shocked

These sorts of world power geopolitical games have gone on for centuries...

Had the Soviets controlled the Middle East, it wasn't just Saudi oil that they would control, and there was more to it than just oil.

Critical shipping lanes, critical to world commerce, would also have been controlled by the Soviets, who had vowed to bury America. Cry

Surely you remember those times Chief?

Maybe you weren't paying attention.

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #7 - Oct 19th, 2018 at 6:43pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Oct 19th, 2018 at 5:43pm:
Critical shipping lanes, critical to world commerce, would also have been controlled by the Soviets, who had vowed to bury America. Cry

Surely you remember those times Chief?

Yes - but that was over 50 years ago.    That's all in the distant past.

TODAY, there's only 2 reasons for interest in Saudi Arabia -  their oil, and their eagerness to buy US-made arms.

How the Saudis mistreat their dissidents is of no consequence to the US.  We shouldn't let political matters interfere with with oil-for-arms deals we have with Saudis.

It would be an abuse of power if Trump were to have the FBI intervene into the Khashoggi killing.

Khashoggi was Saudi - he was not a US citizen - the murder warrants no special attention from US taxpayer-funded agencies.  That would set a very dangerous precedent.

"i dont want any supper powers the usa should not be the world police." - thermf5

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #8 - Oct 20th, 2018 at 7:20pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Oct 19th, 2018 at 6:43pm:
Yes - but that was over 50 years ago.    That's all in the distant past.

Middle East shipping lanes and Middle East Oil are no longer important? Nothing matters but Saudi Oil and the profits of the MIC?

One of the ideas of America was to be a shining example of how people could govern themselves under a limited purposed government and preserve the Blessings of Liberty for Children and Grandchildren throughout he generations...

That, I suppose, is in the distant past too. Cry

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #9 - Oct 20th, 2018 at 7:29pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Oct 19th, 2018 at 6:43pm:
"i dont want any supper powers... - thermf5
I prefer to decide what I eat for supper- Jeff.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Stark Messages from the Khashoggi Case
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy