Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Five People are Stranded on a Stalled Elevator
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Five People are Stranded on a Stalled Elevator (Read 806 times)
Snarky Sack
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Five People are Stranded on a Stalled Elevator
Reply #100 - Oct 28th, 2018 at 7:33pm
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Oct 28th, 2018 at 7:16pm:
We all are. No matter how far from the initial blast we are, we're all sucking up the fallout of redistribution.

I could logically prove this just by stating that since all money is printed by the Federal Reserve, you must, at least indirectly, serve the Federal Reserve to have ever gotten any money. If your hands were completely clean, you might have a bunch of trade goods, but no dollars.

Even just the fact that I must live somewhere and pay taxes on it means I must serve the government.

This is a good starting point to understand that when a big factor like government is into the economy, it touches everything, albeit sometimes indirectly. You know you've gotten some, so if I shine your shoes, I'm guilty too. And the guy who takes that shoeshine money and sells me a kebab as well.

No one is innocent. I hope the fact that it's logically impossible to be innocent consoles you somewhat. It's something I feel bad for as well and I try to stay as far away from the blast as possible.

Yes, I am forced to commit an act of aggression every time I hand over a dollar bill with the threatening message, "this note is legal tender for all debts public and private."   Doesn't really mean much now, but it was outright robbery when they first converted the dollar to fiat.

"I think I'll backtrack." - Jeff

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #101 - Oct 28th, 2018 at 7:37pm
Print Post  
Snarky Sack wrote on Oct 28th, 2018 at 7:33pm:
Yes, I am forced to commit an act of aggression every time I hand over a dollar bill with the threatening message, "this note is legal tender for all debts public and private."   Doesn't really mean much now, but it was outright robbery when they first converted the dollar to fiat.

If you choose to use FRNs in ordinary commerce, it is your choice.

I thought you liked the idea of subsistence farmers using a barter system? Go for it. Cheesy

By choosing to use FRNs, you are betraying your ideals of pure libertarianism. Don't blame anyone else for your choice. You should be using Bitcoins.

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #102 - Oct 28th, 2018 at 8:59pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Oct 28th, 2018 at 7:37pm:
If you choose to use FRNs in ordinary commerce, it is your choice.

If you want to not pay taxes and lose your house, sure.

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #103 - Oct 29th, 2018 at 7:11am
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Oct 28th, 2018 at 8:59pm:
If you want to not pay taxes and lose your house, sure.

Paying taxes isn't ordinary commerce, but I have no doubt that you could buy  a money order made out to the local government using 90% silver coins. I bet the local government would even take the coins in payment!

If you want to maintain your pure libertarian lifestyle like Red does, that would be one option... Another would be to sell some of the potatoes you grew on your subsistence farm for FRNs, just enough to pay your property tax. You wouldn't want any FRNs left over and thus be forced to use them in ordinary commerce.

Sorry, I forgot, Red is working for FRNs (stolen from their rightful owners) now... He is pretty much stuck with them I guess.

I'm getting the idea that Red is one of those people who want's other people to do all the work to create the sort of totally free (no government at all) society he wants. Certainly he realizes that current governments must be eliminated before things like private money being used to buy private police and judges will be possible...

BTW, I just had a deed recorded in one of my local private courts. They charged quite a lot for the service, but the recorded deed shows that I am the actual owner of Reds property, so he doesn't have to worry about paying taxes on it anymore. Smiley

IP Logged

Snarky Sack

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #104 - Oct 29th, 2018 at 12:46pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Oct 29th, 2018 at 7:11am:
Paying taxes isn't ordinary commerce, but I have no doubt that you could buy  a money order made out to the local government using 90% silver coins. I bet the local government would even take the coins in payment!

If you want to maintain your pure libertarian lifestyle like Red does, that would be one option... Another would be to sell some of the potatoes you grew on your subsistence farm for FRNs, just enough to pay your property tax. You wouldn't want any FRNs left over and thus be forced to use them in ordinary commerce.

Sorry, I forgot, Red is working for FRNs (stolen from their rightful owners) now... He is pretty much stuck with them I guess.

I'm getting the idea that Red is one of those people who want's other people to do all the work to create the sort of totally free (no government at all) society he wants. Certainly he realizes that current governments must be eliminated before things like private money being used to buy private police and judges will be possible...

BTW, I just had a deed recorded in one of my local private courts. They charged quite a lot for the service, but the recorded deed shows that I am the actual owner of Reds property, so he doesn't have to worry about paying taxes on it anymore. Smiley

Just out of curiosity, how long did you work on that?

I wondering if you mightn't be able to get a job instead?  I know the perfect job for you.  I wanted to cancel a phone line and it turned out that the provider's strategy is to put abrasive and incompetent people on the phone number you call to do that.  It discourages people from canceling services.  Sounds right up your alley . . .

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #105 - Oct 29th, 2018 at 3:21pm
Print Post  
Snarky Sack wrote on Oct 29th, 2018 at 12:46pm:
Just out of curiosity, how long did you work on that?

I wondering if you mightn't be able to get a job instead?  I know the perfect job for you.  I wanted to cancel a phone line and it turned out that the provider's strategy is to put abrasive and incompetent people on the phone number you call to do that.  It discourages people from canceling services.  Sounds right up your alley . . .

I didn't work on it, I just wrote it.

Thanks for thinking of me, but I don't want a job.

IP Logged

Snarky Sack

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #106 - Oct 29th, 2018 at 3:34pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Oct 29th, 2018 at 3:21pm:
I didn't work on it, I just wrote it.

Thanks for thinking of me, but I don't want a job.

That's entirely obvious.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #107 - Oct 29th, 2018 at 4:23pm
Print Post  
Snarky Sack wrote on Oct 29th, 2018 at 3:34pm:
That's entirely obvious.
Both parts?

That's not nice of you to say that. If I had any feelings left, they would be hurt. Cry

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #108 - Oct 29th, 2018 at 9:56pm
Print Post  

I doubt it.

I'm still forced to hold these notes at least some of the time. Everything I said applies.

Regardless of whether or not this can happen in a libertarian world, when and if it does happen, Burnsy will be justified in defending his house because you, your overpaid stooges, and he all know that it's really his.

If you don't believe what I just said is true, then you must believe that someone cleverer making scrawls on some pieces of paper actually has any bearing on true ownership. In which case, good for you and your overpaid stooges; there was no wrong in what you did.

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #109 - Oct 30th, 2018 at 8:25am
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Oct 29th, 2018 at 9:56pm:
I doubt it.

90% silver coins are still legal tender.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Five People are Stranded on a Stalled Elevator
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy