Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › One Important Problem with Democracy: Voters are Stupid
Poll
Poll closed Question: What Group of People is Stupider?
bars   pie
*** This poll has now closed ***

Lawmakers    
  1 (20.0%)
Voters    
  4 (80.0%)

Total votes: 5
« Created by: Jeff on: Oct 28th, 2018 at 7:57am »
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) One Important Problem with Democracy: Voters are Stupid (Read 655 times)
Jeff
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: One Important Problem with Democracy: Voters are Stupid
Reply #10 - Oct 23rd, 2018 at 8:41am
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Oct 22nd, 2018 at 9:28pm:
This is another example of you being cloistered.
You know a lot of people who pick candidates by race and ethnicity? Are you cloistered in a big University somewhere?

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #11 - Oct 23rd, 2018 at 10:48am
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Oct 23rd, 2018 at 8:41am:
You know a lot of people who pick candidates by race and ethnicity?

Everyone does if they live in the real world, and I don't even know that many people.

You're either trolling or you're so out of touch it's not funny anymore.

I try not to cause conflict so I don't initiate pointless conversations, and when others do I just sort of passively agree with whatever they say. It keeps me from getting fired, but I can't challenge people, or call them on their contradictory bullshit, even through a mere question, because they don't like it. They, like you, like their doublethink if it means they get to be on the winning team.

Maybe when people stop engaging in Jeff-ery we can actually have practical liberty that gives people more viable choices and makes the world an objectively better place.

But as long as people are more concerned with tribalism and being on the winning team, while being pure self-advantage on EVERY issue, pretending to have principles but only using them to virtue signal, that's just not gonna happen.

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #12 - Oct 23rd, 2018 at 12:20pm
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Oct 23rd, 2018 at 10:48am:
Everyone does if they live in the real world, and I don't even know that many people.

You claim to know something about the real human world?

I've known a very great number of people over the years, from all walks of life and of a wide variety of races and ethnicity, and I've talked politics with lots of them, and listened while others talked politics, and I'm convinced they all choose candidates based on Party and policies, except for a few who said they were going to vote for Hillary "because it's time we had a woman president."  Cheesy

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #13 - Oct 23rd, 2018 at 9:39pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Oct 23rd, 2018 at 12:20pm:
You claim to know something about the real human world?

I've known a very great number of people over the years, from all walks of life and of a wide variety of races and ethnicity, and I've talked politics with lots of them, and listened while others talked politics, and I'm convinced they all choose candidates based on Party and policies, except for a few who said they were going to vote for Hillary "because it's time we had a woman president."  Cheesy

You've been living under a rock longer than I've been alive, or perhaps you're just selectively not remembering that everyone did this for Obama and it actually worked.

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #14 - Oct 24th, 2018 at 6:00am
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Oct 23rd, 2018 at 9:39pm:
You've been living under a rock longer than I've been alive, or perhaps you're just selectively not remembering that everyone did this for Obama and it actually worked.
I don't think so. I think what worked was the candidates the Republican Party ran against him.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #15 - Oct 26th, 2018 at 6:00pm
Print Post  
Snarky Sack wrote on Oct 22nd, 2018 at 1:02pm:
Voters in Texas will turn out in a caravan to vote for Beto O'Rourke...
The essential idea of America is that people can govern themselves, keeping in mind that democracy acts to permit a majority to tyrannize a minority. The purpose  of designing a good form of republican government, is so the people can govern themselves without all running over a cliff in a time of temporary madness...

Since you think people are too stupid to govern themselves and that all government is illegitimate I can't see many other options...

Anarchy? When the vast majority of people (you say) have not learned to govern themselves as individuals because they are too stupid?

You think all those stupid ungoverned people will get along well in an anarchic situation?

IP Logged

Snarky Sack

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #16 - Oct 27th, 2018 at 12:36pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Oct 23rd, 2018 at 8:40am:
Who picks the committee? What's to prevent them from stacking the committee with people like me?

A requirement for an IQ test?

"I think I'll backtrack." - Jeff

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #17 - Oct 27th, 2018 at 1:58pm
Print Post  
Snarky Sack wrote on Oct 27th, 2018 at 12:36pm:
A requirement for an IQ test?

I'll wait for the Chief's reply.

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #18 - Oct 27th, 2018 at 3:33pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Oct 27th, 2018 at 1:58pm:
I'll wait for the Chief's reply.

Many voters feel compelled to vote on every single item on the ballot.   They should only vote on the things they are knowledgable about. 

This is why taxes are so outrageously high in California.  Many voters will vote for a measure without fully understanding the impact on taxes.

Over half of State measures are tax increases.  These usually pass, and then voters who voted FOR them whine about them when it actually comes time to pay for them.

So yeah,  (many) voters ARE stupid - or at least ignorant.

"When more of the people's sustenance is exacted through the form of taxation than is necessary to meet the just obligations of government and expenses of its economical administration, such exaction becomes ruthless extortion and a violation of the fundamental principles of free government." - Grover Cleveland

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #19 - Oct 27th, 2018 at 4:35pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Oct 27th, 2018 at 3:33pm:
Many voters feel compelled to vote on every single item on the ballot.   They should only vote on the things they are knowledgable about. 
In my instance, even though I don't really know anything about the guy running for Judge as a Libertarian, I know for certain that in general I prefer the policies of libertarians over anybody else, so, I vote a straight Libertarian ticket when I can, which has been never.

Edit: I don't vote straight Libertarian for the LP, I do it for myself, because I think it's my most moral option. Kiss

This really needs to go back to the Supreme Court. It's an essential issue, perhaps more important than another freedom of speech case, of which there have been multitudes... The reason being that "progressives" keep creating multitudes of new categories of speech, while at the same time claiming that the freedom to speak is continually being incrementally improved so that soon, only perfect speech will be heard throughout the land.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › One Important Problem with Democracy: Voters are Stupid
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy