Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › 50 Years of Gun Control
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) 50 Years of Gun Control (Read 118 times)
Jeff
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

50 Years of Gun Control
Oct 23rd, 2018 at 9:03am
Print Post  
An excellent overview, and an assertion that it's still ideas that are important...

http://thecrux.com/50-years-of-gun-control/

IP Logged

Snarky Sack

Libertarian's Forum

Re: 50 Years of Gun Control
Reply #1 - Oct 23rd, 2018 at 9:36am
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Oct 23rd, 2018 at 9:03am:
An excellent overview, and an assertion that it's still ideas that are important...

http://thecrux.com/50-years-of-gun-control/

If pretty much everyone in a community agrees that you should turn over your guns for the good of the community's children, your only moral option is to hand them over.

The community, through its elected representatives, has the power to convert your guns into their scrap metal.

"I think I'll backtrack." - Jeff

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #2 - Oct 23rd, 2018 at 11:14am
Print Post  
Here's another article that shows keeping big cats is not as dangerous as often portrayed.

https://pethelpful.com/exotic-pets/big-cat-attacks-USA

One of the things I find interesting is that one of the most cited statistics includes attacks, when most of them happen outside of the US or at zoos.

The number of private (and yes, illegal) big cat owners whose animal has hurt someone besides themselves is minuscule.

But articles and statistics only count when it's something libertarians want. When it's something libertarians are against, lo and behold, another pro interpretation of the NAP that labels risking others as aggression, and that labels gun ownership as not risking others, tiger ownership as risking others, and dog ownership as not risking others.

LOL!

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #3 - Oct 23rd, 2018 at 12:44pm
Print Post  
Snarky Sack wrote on Oct 23rd, 2018 at 9:36am:
If pretty much everyone in a community agrees that you should turn over your guns for the good of the community's children, your only moral option is to hand them over.

The community, through its elected representatives, has the power to convert your guns into their scrap metal.
No. My right of self defense trumps their power to disarm me.

Just like having all the children in a community educated, having plenty of people armed in the community is good for the community as a whole.

"Welfare" by the redistribution of wealth by the government is not good for the community as a whole.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #4 - Oct 23rd, 2018 at 12:45pm
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Oct 23rd, 2018 at 11:14am:
Here's another article that shows keeping big cats is not as dangerous as often portrayed.

https://pethelpful.com/exotic-pets/big-cat-attacks-USA

One of the things I find interesting is that one of the most cited statistics includes attacks, when most of them happen outside of the US or at zoos.

The number of private (and yes, illegal) big cat owners whose animal has hurt someone besides themselves is minuscule.

But articles and statistics only count when it's something libertarians want. When it's something libertarians are against, lo and behold, another pro interpretation of the NAP that labels risking others as aggression, and that labels gun ownership as not risking others, tiger ownership as risking others, and dog ownership as not risking others.

LOL!
And if there are plenty of armed people around to shoot loose tigers, the risk will be reduced even more!

IP Logged

Snarky Sack

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #5 - Oct 23rd, 2018 at 1:22pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Oct 23rd, 2018 at 12:44pm:
No. My right of self defense trumps their power to disarm me.

Oh.

You do believe that there are such things as rights?

I was beginning to wonder.

So you have a right to keep your gun but not your money?  What if you owe back taxes and your only wealth is your collection of guns?  Do you keep or lose your right to keep and bear arms?

Quote:
Just like having all the children in a community educated, having plenty of people armed in the community is good for the community as a whole.

In the community I live in now, as a successful mind scientist, yes.  When I was a struggling underpaid public school teacher, not so much.

Quote:
"Welfare" by the redistribution of wealth by the government is not good for the community as a whole.

That's for the community to decide, not the individual.

Unless, there is some "property right," you are suddenly going to announce you believe in?

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #6 - Oct 23rd, 2018 at 5:03pm
Print Post  
Snarky Sack wrote on Oct 23rd, 2018 at 1:22pm:
Oh.

You do believe that there are such things as rights?

I was beginning to wonder.

Why?

What makes you wonder asshole?

What's your position on rights?

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #7 - Oct 23rd, 2018 at 5:07pm
Print Post  
Snarky Sack wrote on Oct 23rd, 2018 at 1:22pm:
In the community I live in now, as a successful mind scientist, yes.  When I was a struggling underpaid public school teacher, not so much.
Where did you teach?

What was your salary and benefit package  worth? How much did taxpayers have to pony up to have the benefits of your brilliant teaching? How early could you retire with full benefits? Would you be paid to get 'advanced' degrees that would entitle you to more money for doing the same thing, year after year? Could your name happen to be Frack? Shocked

Don't be shy... At least tell us where and when you were a public school teacher.

IP Logged

Snarky Sack

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #8 - Oct 24th, 2018 at 9:27am
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Oct 23rd, 2018 at 5:07pm:
Where did you teach?

What was your salary and benefit package  worth? How much did taxpayers have to pony up to have the benefits of your brilliant teaching? How early could you retire with full benefits? Would you be paid to get 'advanced' degrees that would entitle you to more money for doing the same thing, year after year? Could your name happen to be Frack? Shocked

Don't be shy... At least tell us where and when you were a public school teacher.

Sure, Jeff.  I'll turn over all my personal information to an internet troll.  Can't imagine a downside to that . . .

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #9 - Oct 24th, 2018 at 1:50pm
Print Post  
Snarky Sack wrote on Oct 24th, 2018 at 9:27am:
Sure, Jeff.  I'll turn over all my personal information to an internet troll.  Can't imagine a downside to that . . .

Let's say you taught in Anytown, U.S.A.

Is the rest of it really secret personal information?

Edit: Hey, just tell me your name isn't Bill Frack... No, never mind, you'd be at least 120 years old if you were Mr. Frack. Shocked

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › 50 Years of Gun Control
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy