Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › SCOTUS To Rule On 1st Amendment Case Regarding Social Media
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) SCOTUS To Rule On 1st Amendment Case Regarding Social Media (Read 476 times)
Jeff
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: SCOTUS To Rule On 1st Amendment Case Regarding Social Media
Reply #50 - Nov 1st, 2018 at 8:06am
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Oct 31st, 2018 at 9:45pm:
That's correct! But see how you go back to rights, rights, rights when it's a business?

Of course. You don't lose your rights just because you have a business.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #51 - Nov 1st, 2018 at 8:15am
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Oct 31st, 2018 at 9:45pm:
My contention is nothing. I have no contentions. If you want me to have my rights sacrificed for the greater good, and you want YouTube's rights absolute, just say so and I'll support that.

I keep bringing it up when you say my rights aren't absolute, because you clearly think rich people and businesses have absolute rights.
You misrepresent my position as usual.

The owners of YouTube have exactly the same rights you do, and none of them are absolute.

What is required is that the government treat everyone equally.

They cannot require you to allow opinions you disagree with to be aired in your private home or on your private media platform.

They cannot prohibit you from expressing your beliefs in your home or on your platform.

They federal government is granted no police power in the area of speech at all, beyond being permitted to punish people for conspiring to commit treason or committing fraud by saying their counterfeit FRNs are real.

Further, the federal government is empowered to prevent state and local governments from denying your rights of speech and conscience and in fact has a duty to do so.

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #52 - Nov 1st, 2018 at 9:30pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Nov 1st, 2018 at 8:15am:
You misrepresent my position as usual.

The owners of YouTube have exactly the same rights you do, and none of them are absolute.

What is required is that the government treat everyone equally.

They cannot require you to allow opinions you disagree with to be aired in your private home or on your private media platform.

Nothing about what I said is misrepresentation. You here affirm that businesses and the rich have absolute rights.

There's no hard cannot when regular people and their property is involved.

Jeff wrote on Nov 1st, 2018 at 8:04am:
Kill her if you want to. If she has a gun and gets the drop on you, she'll probably shoot you and take your camel. Grin

I'm a healthy Vulcan male. She's a 100-year-old Human female with Alzheimer's, which is how she ended up in the Vulcan desert to begin with. Her family has tried to warn her about stepping through every vortex she sees but she's confused and she forgets.

She can't hurt me, but she keeps trying to steal my camel. She won't give up. If I keep stopping her, she'll die.

Do I have to let her take it, or not? You've said people can't defend themselves from the elderly before. But if I have to let her take my means of transportation, I'll be the one in dire straits and I might die.

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #53 - Nov 2nd, 2018 at 8:15am
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Nov 1st, 2018 at 9:30pm:
Nothing about what I said is misrepresentation. You here affirm that businesses and the rich have absolute rights.

There's no hard cannot when regular people and their property is involved.
Rights are not absolute. Neither your rights of free speech and conscience nor the same rights possessed by the owner of a business, but they are the same and limited in the same ways.

Neither you nor a business can use speech to defraud or coerce.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #54 - Nov 2nd, 2018 at 8:21am
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Nov 1st, 2018 at 9:30pm:
I'm a healthy Vulcan male. She's a 100-year-old Human female with Alzheimer's, which is how she ended up in the Vulcan desert to begin with. Her family has tried to warn her about stepping through every vortex she sees but she's confused and she forgets.

She can't hurt me, but she keeps trying to steal my camel. She won't give up. If I keep stopping her, she'll die.

Do I have to let her take it, or not? You've said people can't defend themselves from the elderly before. But if I have to let her take my means of transportation, I'll be the one in dire straits and I might die.
I never said you can't defend your self from anyone, you can, you just have to use force that is not wildly out of proportion to the threat.

The woman is not actually a threat to you at all the way you describe the situation, and I don't see how she could possibly keep trying to steal your camel unless you are already giving her a ride out of the desert.

No system of morality that I can imagine says you have to give her your camel and die in her stead.

Either offer her a ride, or ride off and leave her.

Which sounds more moral to you?

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #55 - Nov 2nd, 2018 at 8:23am
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Nov 1st, 2018 at 8:06am:
Of course. You don't lose your rights just because you have a business.
Let's get back to this-

Why do you think that business owners have either fewer or more rights than anyone else?

Please let me know which it is, less or more, and explain why you think there is a disparity. Thanks.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › SCOTUS To Rule On 1st Amendment Case Regarding Social Media
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy