Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Voted Early - NOT the Libertarian Straight Ticket
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Voted Early - NOT the Libertarian Straight Ticket (Read 113 times)
Snarky Sack
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Voted Early - NOT the Libertarian Straight Ticket
Oct 28th, 2018 at 12:59pm
Print Post  
The machines gave the option to vote Rep, Dem or Lib straight ticket.  In fact it wasn't really optional. To go to the next screen you had to pick one of them.   I actually selected GOP with one hand holding my nose with the other.  My main concern in this election is O'Rourke vs. Cruz.  I mentioned in another thread how stupid voters in Texas are turning out in droves for O'Rourke just because he calls himself "Beto," and dumbasses think we should have a Hispanic senator, which we already have. 

I went through changing all available races to the Libertarian candidate.  They only ran candidates for the top slots, governor, senator, Supreme Court, etc.  I voted for them, but that's a bad strategy.

I'm considering running for Constable in my precinct on a platform of no more taxes, no more tickets.  If we can't operate with no gunplay, I'll disband the office.  Not like we don't have Houston Police, Harris County Sheriff, Police in "cities," like Katy and Sugar Land, State Troopers and even Stop light cameras to keep writing those all-important tickets.

"I think I'll backtrack." - Jeff

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Voted Early - NOT the Libertarian Straight Ticket
Reply #1 - Oct 28th, 2018 at 2:13pm
Print Post  
It's been my experience that there are good guy officers who only really write tickets when people are driving extremely recklessly.

It's hard to pin people for weaving, so they pin them for speeding, but they only stop people who are speeding and weaving.

It's legitimate to think that these people shouldn't be punished (and indeed I don't think they should until they cause an accident) but they're probably as big a threat as drunks.

Speeding, taken by itself, is just a lottery-style road tax. More than that, it doesn't stop anyone from speeding. The people who do it are the rich %$&%s who don't care because even $190 is just a pinprick to them. Maybe it shouldn't feel like a huge gash to me, but I'm just innately frugal, so it does. I've only gotten one speeding ticket in my life, and I wasn't guilty.

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #2 - Oct 28th, 2018 at 2:33pm
Print Post  
Snarky Sack wrote on Oct 28th, 2018 at 12:59pm:
I'm considering running for Constable in my precinct on a platform of no more taxes, no more tickets.  If we can't operate with no gunplay, I'll disband the office.
I'm pretty sure that being elected Constable doesn't give you the authority to "disband the office". You can quit if you want to.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #3 - Oct 28th, 2018 at 2:38pm
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Oct 28th, 2018 at 2:13pm:
It's hard to pin people for weaving, so they pin them for speeding, but they only stop people who are speeding and weaving.

Driving over the center line is illegal in itself, and even out in the boonies where I live, the Sheriffs have dash cams in their patrol cars, so they can record you weaving if they get the chance... And weaving around is probable cause to check you for sobriety.
Probably you were just back and forth over the center line and off the road because you were texting, but that sort of driving is reckless driving.

IP Logged

Snarky Sack

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #4 - Oct 28th, 2018 at 2:41pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Oct 28th, 2018 at 2:33pm:
I'm pretty sure that being elected Constable doesn't give you the authority to "disband the office". You can quit if you want to.

What happened to "the people having a voice in government?"

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #5 - Oct 28th, 2018 at 2:41pm
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Oct 28th, 2018 at 2:13pm:
Speeding, taken by itself, is just a lottery-style road tax. More than that, it doesn't stop anyone from speeding. The people who do it are the rich %$&%s who don't care because even $190 is just a pinprick to them.
Depending on how fast you were going, speeding can lead to immediate loss of your license and the impounding of your car. In any case, in my state, you get points for speeding. Accumulate enough of them and you lose your license.

Insurance companies pay attention to how many points you got and what they were for, so you wil find your insurance rate going up, and maybe they will even stop insuring you. Some people think that's something to consider too.

IP Logged

Snarky Sack

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #6 - Oct 28th, 2018 at 3:33pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Oct 28th, 2018 at 2:41pm:
Depending on how fast you were going, speeding can lead to immediate loss of your license and the impounding of your car. In any case, in my state, you get points for speeding. Accumulate enough of them and you lose your license.

Insurance companies pay attention to how many points you got and what they were for, so you wil find your insurance rate going up, and maybe they will even stop insuring you. Some people think that's something to consider too.

Since my "community" voted that I have to have insurance to drive a car, the insurance companies can raise rates at will, with little to stop them

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #7 - Oct 28th, 2018 at 3:56pm
Print Post  
Snarky Sack wrote on Oct 28th, 2018 at 2:41pm:
What happened to "the people having a voice in government?"

You're the one trying to change the meaning, as usual.

The people created a government that sustains the office of Constable (In Texas?) because the people want to have the laws enforced, to protect their lives and property, and that is accomplished pretty well through the agency of the Constable's Office.

You can't abolish that Office because you aren't the people.

You are so hopelessly confused.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #8 - Oct 28th, 2018 at 4:00pm
Print Post  
Snarky Sack wrote on Oct 28th, 2018 at 3:33pm:
Since my "community" voted that I have to have insurance to drive a car, the insurance companies can raise rates at will, with little to stop them
That's another separate issue that we've talked about before.

Actual free market competition will greatly reduce car insurance rates.

If "insurance companies can raise rates at will" look for a government supported cartel.

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #9 - Oct 28th, 2018 at 7:04pm
Print Post  
Snarky Sack wrote on Oct 28th, 2018 at 3:33pm:

Exactly. You'll find yourself paying about the maximum the law allows whether you speed constantly or not.

I just got a refund check because my insurance company actually charged me above the maximum.

And my driving record is virtually spotless. I only had one ticket in my life, which was many years ago and I wasn't even guilty.

But of course, the most common libertarian position is to get rid of the legal maximum but keep the insurance mandatory. The rights of the big businesses must actually be respected, you see. Our rights are more like old Christmas decorations.

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Voted Early - NOT the Libertarian Straight Ticket
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy