Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › The Bad Untintended Consequences of Imagining You Children Are Fragile
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic The Bad Untintended Consequences of Imagining You Children Are Fragile (Read 76 times)
Jeff
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

The Bad Untintended Consequences of Imagining You Children Are Fragile
Oct 31st, 2018 at 6:44pm
Print Post  
Reason magazine has a great article in their outstanding 50th Anniversary issue by Greg Lukianoff and Jonathan Haidt titled Your Child Is More Resilient Than You Think. (Dec, 2018 issue).

It starts by examining the spike in nut allergies among American children, and identifies the cause- overcautious parents trying to keep their children from having a bad reaction to nuts, then goes on to explain the similar pernicious effects of trying to protect your children from any possible emotional upset.

It's very persuasive not only because it's well reasoned, but because it's totally reasonable.

I'd post a link, but my subscription to the print version doesn't include linking to the article on line...

I'll keep an eye out for it to appear in digital form that I can link to.

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Re: The Bad Untintended Consequences of Imagining You Children Are Fragile
Reply #1 - Oct 31st, 2018 at 9:25pm
Print Post  
No sicker children than the kids of people who spray Lysol everywhere. I've been saying this for a while.

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #2 - Nov 1st, 2018 at 7:45am
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Oct 31st, 2018 at 9:25pm:
No sicker children than the kids of people who spray Lysol everywhere. I've been saying this for a while.
Yes. The article includes that idea under the broad contention that the human immune system can't learn to function if it's never challenged.

It also goes on to make a good case for both intellectual and emotional challenges being necessary in order for growing children to be able to learn to deal with intellectual and emotional challenges later in life...

Raise your children in a sterile bubble free of any sort of challenge, and they will indeed be fragile adults. And they won't learn to think either.

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #3 - Nov 1st, 2018 at 9:34pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Nov 1st, 2018 at 7:45am:
Yes. The article includes that idea under the broad contention that the human immune system can't learn to function if it's never challenged.

It also goes on to make a good case for both intellectual and emotional challenges being necessary in order for growing children to be able to learn to deal with intellectual and emotional challenges later in life...

Raise your children in a sterile bubble free of any sort of challenge, and they will indeed be fragile adults. And they won't learn to think either.

I've stopped trying to convince people of this, but they're illogical Humans and I can't help them.

They see their kids getting sick a lot and just go, "Aha, I was right! We need the Lysol. In fact, we clearly need more of it."

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #4 - Nov 2nd, 2018 at 8:28am
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Nov 1st, 2018 at 9:34pm:
I've stopped trying to convince people of this, but they're illogical Humans and I can't help them.

They see their kids getting sick a lot and just go, "Aha, I was right! We need the Lysol. In fact, we clearly need more of it."
Right. Let them crawl around in the dirt outside and eat worms and dirt like their grandparents did, tell them to all drink out of the hose when they get thirsty, let them share food. Just get them vaccinated against things like polio and whooping cough and smallpox and measles and mumps.

If the other kids are mean to them, comfort them and counsel them, tell them "Some kids have always been mean to others, and there are ways to deal with it that you will have to try out to see which works best for you." (Teach them to use proportional force, no beating Susy half to death because she took your cookie! Make them aware that the situation often determines what you should do... Different responses are required when you are in school than when you are out playing unsupervised.)

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #5 - Nov 2nd, 2018 at 2:59pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Oct 31st, 2018 at 6:44pm:
Reason magazine has a great article in their outstanding 50th Anniversary issue by Greg Lukianoff and Jonathan Haidt titled Your Child Is More Resilient Than You Think.

Does this mean there is no longer a need for a "safe space" on college campuses?   Grin    Grin

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #6 - Nov 2nd, 2018 at 3:25pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Nov 2nd, 2018 at 2:59pm:
Does this mean there is no longer a need for a "safe space" on college campuses?   Grin    Grin
Unfortunately no, once you create fragile children, you can't just abandon them, that would be immoral.

I see only a binary choice, you can either protect them for the rest of their fragile lives, or use some simple behavioral therapy (parents and friends and relatives can do it) to help them learn that they aren't anywhere near as fragile as they've been taught to believe.

There is a problem with children who have been raised to be useless... That has an impact on how fragile their self images really are, as well as their feeble bodies that have never been challenged...

I've depressed myself, I'm glad I'm old.

Never challenge a child's immune system, their mind, or their body and what do you get... Fragile, useless and dependent is all I can see.

Edit: Who is to blame for this? SJWs or their philosophical supporters?

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #7 - Nov 2nd, 2018 at 4:44pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Nov 2nd, 2018 at 3:25pm:
Unfortunately no, once you create fragile children, you can't just abandon them, that would be immoral.
... Who is to blame for this? SJWs or their philosophical supporters?

Young people are emotionally fragile today due to bad (or lack of) parenting and  SJW administrators in public schools and college campuses.

They do everything in their power to shield children from opposing views - provide "safe spaces" where free speech is prohibited.

Then these kids graduate, go out in the real world, and everyone scratches their heads and wonder "Why are these kids so dysfunctional - Why can't they succeed at anything besides video games?"

Although in the kid's defense, today, they have to deal with something that you or I never did:

cyber-bullying.

It can get as nasty as the bully wants it to get.  Some kids have committed suicide because their (social) life was destroyed by a cyber-bully.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #8 - Nov 2nd, 2018 at 5:01pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Nov 2nd, 2018 at 4:44pm:
Although in the kid's defense, today, they have to deal with something that you or I never did:

cyber-bullying.

I'll take that any day over Glenn Jukes punching me in the face repeatedly because I wouldn't do what he wanted. Angry

The problem modern American children are facing (at least if they don't live in a "progressive" ghetto) is being overprotected in every way.

"Sticks and Stones" advice to children applies to any sort of verbal bullying or verbal insults, in person or not.

Sometimes the best advice to a child is "Punch him in the face if he does it again, here, let me teach you some things about fighting."

"He  says you aren't normal? Do you think he is?

Decide for yourself, punch him in the face if you need to, or use these techniques to make his balls explode."

"Later, I'll help you learn how to deal with cyber bullies. It can be fun, but you need to know what you're doing, so you will have to do more learning... to be effective..."

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › The Bad Untintended Consequences of Imagining You Children Are Fragile
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy