Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › How Should Government Deal With Transgender Prisoners?
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) How Should Government Deal With Transgender Prisoners? (Read 606 times)
Snarky Sack
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

How Should Government Deal With Transgender Prisoners?
Nov 6th, 2018 at 2:15pm
Print Post  
I have a couple of opinions about this, but I'd like to read yours.

Quote:
A transgender woman has filed a federal lawsuit against Dallas County alleging jailers ordered her to show her genitalia to them so they could determine her sex.

Valerie Jackson, 32, had been arrested in November 2016 after she left a gun in her purse when she went through security at Dallas Love Field. A grand jury has since declined to indict her on the weapons charge.

A grand jury dropped Jackson's weapons charge. She was subsequently arrested for alleged trespassing and interfering with an emergency call -- both misdemeanors, according to The Morning New.

Jackson was again housed with male inmates and required to shower with them, the suit said. The lawsuit claimed she was sexually harassed and had two instances where male inmates masturbated in front of her in the shower. No trial date has been set for either misdemeanor case.

The names in the lawsuit included former Dallas County Sheriff Lupe Valdez, who is now the Democratic nominee for Governor of Texas and several named and unnamed county employees.

Her lawsuit, filed Friday, alleges that she was harassed and humiliated at the jail and that her constitutional rights were violated. 

Dallas County placed her in danger by housing her with men, the lawsuit says. Jackson was male at birth but legally changed her gender to female and is identified in court records as a woman.

"Ms. Jackson has suffered trauma, felt demoralized, anxious, stressed, a loss of dignity, and fear," the lawsuit says.

A spokesman for Dallas County Sheriff Marian Brown, who is named in the lawsuit, said the sheriff would not comment.

"Sorry, but since it is in litigation, under advice of attorney, the Sheriff's Department does not comment on lawsuits," Raul Reyna said Monday.

The lawsuit says the county violated the federal Prison Rape Elimination Act, which says that jails "shall not search or physically examine a transgender or intersex detainee for the sole purpose of determining the detainee's genital status."

The county's policy for housing transgender inmates requires that a decision be made after medical, psychological and medication needs are assessed.

Instead, the suit states, a county employee told Jackson she needed to show her genitals because if she had a thingy, she needed to be housed with men.

"We need to know if you've had a sex change or not. We need to see if you have a thingy or a vagina," an officer in the jail told Jackson, according to the lawsuit. "We have to protect you. We can't put you with men if you have a vagina."

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/courts/2018/11/05/dallas-jailers-ordered-transge...

"I think I'll backtrack." - Jeff

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Re: How Should Government Deal With Transgender Prisoners?
Reply #1 - Nov 6th, 2018 at 2:41pm
Print Post  
Give them a nice private room and buy them a guitar.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #2 - Nov 6th, 2018 at 4:35pm
Print Post  
Sack, what's the number of other opinions you need before you'll give us yours?

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #3 - Nov 6th, 2018 at 4:39pm
Print Post  
I can't figure out the grand jury's refusal to indict...

Do they want really confused people to be carrying concealed weapons onto airplanes?

Are you sure this isn't all made up?

IP Logged

Snarky Sack

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #4 - Nov 6th, 2018 at 7:00pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Nov 6th, 2018 at 4:39pm:

Do they want really confused people to be carrying concealed weapons onto airplanes?

Is there an exception in the 2nd amendment for "really confused people?"  Or is the exception for airplanes?

This is the kind of thing that happens in our incredibly inhumane government prisons.  It's the kind of thing that happens after people are first arrested for bearing for having a gun in a country whose constitution guarantees them to right to bear arms.  This is the kind of thing that happens when police get annoyed that one of their arrests doesn't lead to an indictment so they arrest the same person for the same action and charge them with a different crime.

No judge would openly sentence an unlicensed pharmacist to be raped for five years.  But they know fully well that's what will happen to the offenders they send to our nation's prisons. 

I guess I should applaud the federal government for passing an act to curb prison rape.  But how does not allowing guards to determine whether a prisoner is biologically male or female prevent rape?  Making that determination seem a good way to help prevent rape as this guard explained:

Quote:
"We need to know if you've had a sex change or not. We need to see if you have a thingy or a vagina," an officer in the jail told Jackson, according to the lawsuit. "We have to protect you. We can't put you with men if you have a vagina."

Um . . . duh?

My opinion, then:  Government has not the competence to be given the power over our lives that you want them to have, Jeff.

"I think I'll backtrack." - Jeff

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #5 - Nov 6th, 2018 at 8:32pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Nov 6th, 2018 at 4:39pm:

A concealed weapon permit does not grant permission to carry firearms on a plane.

The plane is owned by the airline.  If the airline doesn't allow passengers to bring guns into their place of business, then guns cannot be brought onto the airplane.

Precedent was set several months ago when an Outback Steak House told police officers to leave their guns outside the restaurant.  Outback Steakhouse is a "gun-free" zone.

The officers explained they must carry their service weapons at all times while they are on duty.

The Outback manager told the police officers to leave the establishment. They were not served any food.

It is the right of any business to refuse service to anyone who disobeys house rules.    Including cops.

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #6 - Nov 6th, 2018 at 8:49pm
Print Post  
Cut off her penis and put her in the girls' slammer.

Girls' slammers aren't for people with penises.

Better yet, rename men's prisons, "prisons for people with penises" and rename women's prisons "prisons for people without penises" - simple.

Prisons no longer have anything to do with sex or gender. Just whether or not you have a certain sex organ.

That's the crux of it, isn't it? People with that sex organ should be separated from people without to prevent rape and pregnancy.

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #7 - Nov 7th, 2018 at 7:07am
Print Post  
Snarky Sack wrote on Nov 6th, 2018 at 7:00pm:
Is there an exception in the 2nd amendment for "really confused people?"  Or is the exception for airplanes?

Certainly the TSA (who seem to be conspicuously missing from this story) have been told that there is an exception to the 2nd A. in airports and on airplanes...

If the security at Love Field was private, working for the airline, they could make an exception and ban or permit carry on concealed weapons, whatever the airline preferred...

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #8 - Nov 7th, 2018 at 7:20am
Print Post  
Snarky Sack wrote on Nov 6th, 2018 at 7:00pm:
I guess I should applaud the federal government for passing an act to curb prison rape.  But how does not allowing guards to determine whether a prisoner is biologically male or female prevent rape?  Making that determination seem a good way to help prevent rape as this guard explained:

Um . . . duh?

My opinion, then:  Government has not the competence to be given the power over our lives that you want them to have, Jeff.
If a prisoner being inducted into a prison claims it's a man, and actually it's (physically) a woman, and the jailers accept it's self identification and put it in with the men, where it gets gang raped because the male prisoners know a vagina when they see one, would you expect the jailers to be sued for putting it in with the men?

Prisoners are routinely subjected to procedures while being inducted into jails and prisons that involve getting them naked and making sure they aren't taking in weapons or drugs or lice and communicable diseases. Not doing so would open the jailers up to potential lawsuits. Checking genitalia of prisoners being inducted obviously also has a legitimate purpose.

In almost every instance I don't want government to have power over our lives at all.

Here's a way to make sure they have less power over us-

https://reason.com/archives/2018/11/06/judge-advocates-jury-nullification?utm_me...

Although I still think the OP story is made up, the jury could/should have refrained from convicting it.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #9 - Nov 7th, 2018 at 7:23am
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Nov 6th, 2018 at 8:32pm:
A concealed weapon permit does not grant permission to carry firearms on a plane.

The plane is owned by the airline.  If the airline doesn't allow passengers to bring guns into their place of business, then guns cannot be brought onto the airplane.

And if an airline encourages people with concealed carry permits to bring their guns on their planes? You still can't because of federal laws.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › How Should Government Deal With Transgender Prisoners?
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy