Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › How Should Government Deal With Transgender Prisoners?
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) How Should Government Deal With Transgender Prisoners? (Read 603 times)
Jeff
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: How Should Government Deal With Transgender Prisoners?
Reply #20 - Nov 7th, 2018 at 7:03pm
Print Post  
Snarky Sack wrote on Nov 7th, 2018 at 6:39pm:
Arresting someone for the "crime" of having a gun and then re-arresting them for the exact same event and calling it trespassing by having a gun is the kind of tactic authoritarian police use to make sure citizens know who is boss.  Your exact model of good government.

It is a federal crime to try to carry a concealed weapon onto a commercial airliner, or even to take one into a "secure" area of an airport. I didn't make the law, and calling it a "crime" doesn't change that it's a violation of a federal law.

There isn't enough information in the article to know why she was charged with trespass and interfering with an emergency call.

IP Logged

Snarky Sack

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #21 - Nov 8th, 2018 at 9:30am
Print Post  

Snarky Sack wrote yesterday at 12:58pm:
Quote:
I didn’t read the part where she expressed confusion.  She seems to know her own gender, I don’t know who else would know better than she would.

Jeff wrote on Nov 7th, 2018 at 1:11pm:
The female prisoners they put her in with will know right off that she's a man.

Ok, and then what?

"I think I'll backtrack." - Jeff

IP Logged

Snarky Sack

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #22 - Nov 8th, 2018 at 9:31am
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Nov 7th, 2018 at 7:03pm:
It is a federal crime to try to carry a concealed weapon onto a commercial airliner, or even to take one into a "secure" area of an airport. I didn't make the law, and calling it a "crime" doesn't change that it's a violation of a federal law.

There isn't enough information in the article to know why she was charged with trespass and interfering with an emergency call.

If she had done a separate act that led to the second arrest, that would have been stated. 

But, say you're correct.  Are you willing to state that it would be wrong for police to re-arrest a person who was not indicted and charge them with a different crime?

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #23 - Nov 8th, 2018 at 11:14am
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Nov 7th, 2018 at 7:07am:
Certainly the TSA (who seem to be conspicuously missing from this story) have been told that there is an exception to the 2nd A. in airports and on airplanes...

The second amendment, just like the first, only protects you from government.

You're cool with YouTube and Facebook banning conservatives because it's their "private property" so let's see how cool you are with every private business owner banning guns.

Have your gun in your own house.

But wait! The restaurants and clubs and wherever else you go are going to require you to disclose if you own a gun, and refuse to serve you if you have one. Lie to them and they'll sue.

Private property ownership sure gives regular people a lot of rights.

Cheesy

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #24 - Nov 8th, 2018 at 1:05pm
Print Post  
Snarky Sack wrote on Nov 8th, 2018 at 9:31am:
If she had done a separate act that led to the second arrest, that would have been stated. 
It was stated that she trespassed and interfered with an emergency call. Those are two additional separate illegal acts.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #25 - Nov 8th, 2018 at 1:12pm
Print Post  
Snarky Sack wrote on Nov 8th, 2018 at 9:31am:
But, say you're correct.  Are you willing to state that it would be wrong for police to re-arrest a person who was not indicted and charge them with a different crime?

Since the gun incident took place at a City owned airport where I assume the TSA arrested her for that violation of federal law, and since trespass and interfering with an emergency call are not federal crimes that I know of, I assumed the local police arrested her for trespass and interference, and yes, if that's what happened, I'm fine with that.

Like I said, there's not quite enough information given in the news article...

I most certainly oppose being re-arrested for the same alleged crime and sent before another grant jury, or being tried again in another venue when a jury refuses to convict.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #26 - Nov 8th, 2018 at 1:19pm
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Nov 8th, 2018 at 11:14am:
The second amendment, just like the first, only protects you from government.

You're cool with YouTube and Facebook banning conservatives because it's their "private property" so let's see how cool you are with every private business owner banning guns.

Have your gun in your own house.

But wait! The restaurants and clubs and wherever else you go are going to require you to disclose if you own a gun, and refuse to serve you if you have one. Lie to them and they'll sue.

Private property ownership sure gives regular people a lot of rights.

Cheesy
If airlines and private airports want to be gun free zones, they can, but all they can do if you disobey their orders is refuse you service and throw you off their property.

If private business want to put metal detectors and private security guards at the entrances to their places of business, they can. They can't search you without your permission, just deny you entry.

I'm not worried that this will happen, but you are correct, you have rights on your property that you can't exercise on other people's property or in public places.

IP Logged

Snarky Sack

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #27 - Nov 8th, 2018 at 1:45pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Nov 8th, 2018 at 1:12pm:
Since the gun incident took place at a City owned airport where I assume the TSA arrested her for that violation of federal law, and since trespass and interfering with an emergency call are not federal crimes that I know of, I assumed the local police arrested her for trespass and interference, and yes, if that's what happened, I'm fine with that.

Like I said, there's not quite enough information given in the news article...

I most certainly oppose being re-arrested for the same alleged crime and sent before another grant jury, or being tried again in another venue when a jury refuses to convict.

Ok, then.

It sounded like you were kind of happy about what happened to her just because you disagree with her choice of her gender.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #28 - Nov 8th, 2018 at 2:21pm
Print Post  
Snarky Sack wrote on Nov 8th, 2018 at 1:45pm:
Ok, then.

It sounded like you were kind of happy about what happened to her just because you disagree with her choice of her gender.

I don't care at all what anyone thinks they are as far as "gender" goes, as long as they don't get special treatment under the law. Just as it's wrong to have different treatment under law for different races and beliefs, so it is wrong for different sexes.

What if they put her in with the women prisoners, and she decides, after a few days, that she feels like a man? Would they have to move him back in with the other men? What if the women castrate her while she's in with them where she insists on being? Would she have grounds for a lawsuit?

What about the people who feel like they are neither man nor woman? Do they need private rooms in the jail (and guitars)?

IP Logged

Snarky Sack

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #29 - Nov 8th, 2018 at 3:51pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Nov 8th, 2018 at 2:21pm:
I don't care at all what anyone thinks they are as far as "gender" goes, as long as they don't get special treatment under the law. Just as it's wrong to have different treatment under law for different races and beliefs, so it is wrong for different sexes.

What if they put her in with the women prisoners, and she decides, after a few days, that she feels like a man? Would they have to move him back in with the other men? What if the women castrate her while she's in with them where she insists on being? Would she have grounds for a lawsuit?

Sure, in the system that you love so much.  Prisoners re thrown into jail with violent offenders for suspicion of trespassing and then the guards allow them to be brutalized.

In a humane system, we don't need separate facilities for however many genders people might choose to be.  Each prisoner will have a cell to themselves and all interaction will be carefully controlled and monitored to prevent violence.

Quote:
What about the people who feel like they are neither man nor woman? Do they need private rooms in the jail (and guitars)?

Not "private rooms," individual cells.  I see nothing wrong with them having a guitar if they buy it with money they earn.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › How Should Government Deal With Transgender Prisoners?
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy