Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Dems Seize Control Of The House - - New Taxes To Come
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Dems Seize Control Of The House - - New Taxes To Come (Read 156 times)
SkyChief
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Dems Seize Control Of The House - - New Taxes To Come
Nov 7th, 2018 at 7:10pm
Print Post  
Libertarian's darkest fear materialized yesterday.

Democrat lawmakers have some new taxes up their sleeves...  Just what we need...  More Taxes...    Angry

"I think we'll be able to have a bipartisan piece of legislation that puts a price on carbon." - Florida Democrat Ted Deutch (co-chair, Climate Solutions Caucus)

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/carbon-tax-congress-deutch-1.4890286

IP Logged

Some Voluntaryist

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Dems Seize Control Of The House - - New Taxes To Come
Reply #1 - Nov 8th, 2018 at 4:16am
Print Post  
Democrats or no, the state will always try to increase taxes. Big governments only seek to get bigger- create some kind of new social program, enforce all the new dumb laws they pass, and of course doing all the usual stuff in decreasingly cost-efficient ways.

Oh, and who can forget the military and police industrial complexes? And the prison industrial complex? And the education industrial complex?

Point is, expansion is a fundamental part of the modern nation-state, and possibly even states in general (who says minarchy won't end up exactly like this one day). No matter which party you elect, they're always going to ask for new taxes to fund their nonsense, or just create a metric tonne of debt and put the tax burden on future generations.

On the bright side, it's gonna be pretty entertaining to watch the house and senate wrestling with each other for the next two years.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #2 - Nov 8th, 2018 at 7:55am
Print Post  
The consent of the Republican controlled Senate and Republican President will be required.

And of course since the Republican controlled government just committed to spending tons of future tax money, they will almost certainly acquiesce in raising taxes.

I wonder if bookmakers are taking bets on when exactly the national economy will collapse?

BTW, carbon isn't free now, and it's best to let the market price it...

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #3 - Nov 8th, 2018 at 8:03am
Print Post  
Some Voluntaryist wrote on Nov 8th, 2018 at 4:16am:
Point is, expansion is a fundamental part of the modern nation-state, and possibly even states in general (who says minarchy won't end up exactly like this one day). No matter which party you elect, they're always going to ask for new taxes to fund their nonsense, or just create a metric tonne of debt and put the tax burden on future generations.

It's not exactly like they ask for taxes, they pass laws that demand them.

Yes, it has been the nature of government since history started keeping track of governments to grow and take more and more.

That was where the ideas of the U.S. Constitution came from, ideas to limit the government to a few enumerated powers and limit taxes by apportionment and uniformity to make it very difficult to collect much revenue.

Too bad those essential features of the Constitution were changed illegally. We should change them back and see what happens. Smiley

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #4 - Nov 8th, 2018 at 1:26pm
Print Post  
Oh, and who can forget the military and police industrial complexes? And the prison industrial complex? And the education industrial complex?

No matter which party you elect, they're always going to ask for new taxes to fund their nonsense, or just create a metric tonne of debt and put the tax burden on future generations.

True - all of these industrial complexes rely heavily on funding by taxpayers.

On the bright side, it's gonna be pretty entertaining to watch the house and senate wrestling with each other for the next two years.

I'm less optimistic than you with with the split congress.

Trump had been laying the groundwork for a tax-cut for the middle-class.

Now all that comes to screeching halt.  House Dems would never allow tax cuts for the middle-class.  Angry

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #5 - Nov 8th, 2018 at 1:52pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Nov 8th, 2018 at 1:26pm:
Now all that comes to screeching halt.  House Dems would never allow tax cuts for the middle-class.  Angry
But will the Senate allow tax increases? I say it's almost certain.

Will both together cut spending? I say almost certainly no.

The experts say to buy gold when central banks start buying gold... But then there's that nasty precedent of FDR stealing American's gold...

Of course they'll probably pay you for it (in FRNs) at the official price of $42.2222/oz. Cheesy

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #6 - Nov 8th, 2018 at 2:25pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Nov 8th, 2018 at 1:52pm:
But will the Senate allow tax increases? I say it's almost certain.

Will both together cut spending? I say almost certainly no.

agree 100%.   Both parties like to tax - - they just have different ideas on where the government hand-outs should go.

Jeff wrote on Nov 8th, 2018 at 1:52pm:
The experts say to buy gold when central banks start buying gold... But then there's that nasty precedent of FDR stealing American's gold...

Of course they'll probably pay you for it (in FRNs) at the official price of $42.2222/oz. Cheesy

That will not happen again.  (FDR gold confiscation).

The government could easily find out who bought (physical) gold.  They could seize sales records from bullion dealers,  but they could not find where the buyers stashed/cached it..   (unless they used waterboarding... 
which they could, I suppose.   Undecided  )

If they came for mine, I would tell them I lost it all in a boating accident.    Grin

"We have gold because we can not trust our governments". - President Herbert Hoover

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #7 - Nov 8th, 2018 at 2:40pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Nov 8th, 2018 at 2:25pm:
agree 100%.   Both parties like to tax - - they just have different ideas on where the government hand-outs should go.

That will not happen again.  (FDR gold confiscation).

The government could easily find out who bought (physical) gold.  They could seize sales records from bullion dealers,  but they could not find where the buyers stashed/cached it..   (unless they used waterboarding... 
which they could, I suppose.   Undecided  )

If they came for mine, I would tell them I lost it all in a boating accident.    Grin

"We have gold because we can not trust our governments". - President Herbert Hoover
Do you know the penalties for not turning in your gold that came along with FDRs order? Very large fines and long jail sentences.

If they know you bought gold, and you can't show proof that you sold it, they will take that as evidence that you are hoarding gold and apply heavy fines and long jail sentences.

Will there be a black market? Probably, but you'll have to be very very careful if you ever want to sell or trade your hoarded gold.

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #8 - Nov 8th, 2018 at 3:00pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Nov 8th, 2018 at 2:40pm:
Do you know the penalties for not turning in your gold that came along with FDRs order? Very large fines and long jail sentences.

If they know you bought gold, and you can't show proof that you sold it, they will take that as evidence that you are hoarding gold and apply heavy fines and long jail sentences.

Yes, Jeff.

Here' s a list of everyone who paid a fine or was jailed for hoarding gold in FDR's Gold Confiscation of 1933 (Executive Order 6102):

1)
2)
3)
4)
5)
6)
7)
8)
9)
10)
11)

Smiley

Jeff wrote on Nov 8th, 2018 at 2:40pm:
Will there be a black market? Probably, but you'll have to be very very careful if you ever want to sell or trade your hoarded gold.

Like I said, I lost it all in a tragic boating accident.   

All the evidence is at the bottom of the Pacific Ocean about a mile and a half off the coast of Catalina Island.

If it's not still there, it means that divers have already recovered it!    Grin

Seriously - nobody's going to fall for another gold confiscation.  Even the government understands this.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #9 - Nov 8th, 2018 at 4:44pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Nov 8th, 2018 at 3:00pm:
Yes, Jeff.

Here' s a list of everyone who paid a fine or was jailed for hoarding gold in FDR's Gold Confiscation of 1933 (Executive Order 6102):

1)
2)
3)
4)
5)
6)
7)
8)
9)
10)
11)

Smiley

They stole literally tons of gold, and they established a precedent.

Make your own decisions if another Order comes down with even worse penalties...

You know it's much easier for them to find you now, right?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Dems Seize Control Of The House - - New Taxes To Come
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy