Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Remembering the First World War
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Remembering the First World War (Read 444 times)
SkyChief
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Remembering the First World War
Reply #30 - Dec 3rd, 2018 at 12:33am
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Dec 2nd, 2018 at 5:30pm:
One of the many conspiracy theories out there is probably true. Why don't you watch the video? That'd be a good start.

Yes,  Most people know that German U-boats sunk the Lusitania (which had 128 American passengers on board when she sank)... This gave Wilson an ideal rationale to get the US to join the fray!

But the video (i think its part 2) reveals some little-known facts about the Lusitania (disclosed by Brits in 2014) which is relevant to the story. 

Watch the video to find out!

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #31 - Dec 3rd, 2018 at 9:03am
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Dec 3rd, 2018 at 12:33am:
Yes,  Most people know that German U-boats sunk the Lusitania (which had 128 American passengers on board when she sank)... This gave Wilson an ideal rationale to get the US to join the fray!

But the video (i think its part 2) reveals some little-known facts about the Lusitania (disclosed by Brits in 2014) which is relevant to the story. 

I thought the question was what started WWI, not what got the U.S. involved.

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #32 - Dec 3rd, 2018 at 12:22pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Dec 3rd, 2018 at 9:03am:
I thought the question was what started WWI, not what got the U.S. involved.

It's a conspiracy theory which involves many elements which are tied together.  The producer of the video felt it necessary to connected all the dots - i suppose that's why it's divided into 3 parts.

IP Logged

BobK71

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #33 - Dec 3rd, 2018 at 1:22pm
Print Post  
The key, IMO, is still, why were the elites in Britain and the USA hell bent on joining and continuing the war?

Another good question to ask is: why were alliances set up over the decades, so that a dispute over one assassination became a world war?

The only thing I can think of is that the global banking elites had decided to ally with America, and not Germany, in forming the new financial hegemon to replace the terminally declining British empire.  This game doesn't like multipolar arrangements.  It prefers that the empire's printed paper be unquestionably accepted as valuable assets by the world.

So the main goal was to smack down Germany.  And this was confirmed in the decades after Germany's defeat of 1918, when war reparations became the stick with which to beat the German economy continuously, and to destabilize it so that, as it turned out, it absorbed a disproportionate amount of pain from the Great Depression.  Germany had real grievances, which Hitler was able to exploit.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #34 - Dec 3rd, 2018 at 4:37pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Dec 3rd, 2018 at 12:22pm:
It's a conspiracy theory which involves many elements which are tied together.  The producer of the video felt it necessary to connected all the dots - i suppose that's why it's divided into 3 parts.
None of the dots that occurred after the start of the war have anything to do with why it started.

I know and I just recently explained it...

"A conspiracy of errors misjudgements and bad judgement compounded by arrogance and stupidity."

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #35 - Dec 3rd, 2018 at 4:40pm
Print Post  
BobK71 wrote on Dec 3rd, 2018 at 1:22pm:
Another good question to ask is: why were alliances set up over the decades...
All the Royalty was inbred and they made alliances as Royal relatives used to do in hopes that it would prevent any of them from attacking another.

As I just said, "A conspiracy of errors misjudgements and bad judgement compounded by arrogance and stupidity."

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #36 - Dec 3rd, 2018 at 9:50pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Dec 3rd, 2018 at 12:33am:

Interestingly enough, this is one of the videos I'd already seen on the subject.

I remember them talking about how the Germans were blockaded against numerous accords, and how they were starving because of it, as food had been declared contraband.

And the Lusitania was running guns. There were boxes marked with things like "oysters" and "butter" in un-refrigerated compartments. As I recall, a later manifest proved it.

Also, it was strongly implied that the sinking might not have been at German hands at all. The British may have sunk their own boat.

BobK71 wrote on Dec 3rd, 2018 at 1:22pm:
So the main goal was to smack down Germany.  And this was confirmed in the decades after Germany's defeat of 1918, when war reparations became the stick with which to beat the German economy continuously, and to destabilize it so that, as it turned out, it absorbed a disproportionate amount of pain from the Great Depression.  Germany had real grievances, which Hitler was able to exploit.

The video's explanations are very much in line with this.

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #37 - Dec 3rd, 2018 at 10:09pm
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Dec 3rd, 2018 at 9:50pm:
Interestingly enough, this is one of the videos I'd already seen on the subject.

And the Lusitania was running guns. There were boxes marked with things like "oysters" and "butter" in un-refrigerated compartments. As I recall, a later manifest proved it.

Exactly.

So did this give Germany the "right" to sink her?  Of course not.  But its solid evidence that the Lusitania was a Military target.  The Brits were the ones who decided to use Lusitania as a transport vessel for munitions.   The civilian deaths (from the sinking) are blood on the hands of the Brits.

Wilson knew this.  He didn't care.   

All he needed was an excuse to get the US into the fray.    The Lusitania sinking served this purpose well.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #38 - Dec 4th, 2018 at 7:45am
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Dec 3rd, 2018 at 9:50pm:
I remember them talking about how the Germans were blockaded against numerous accords, and how they were starving because of it, as food had been declared contraband.

Prior to the beginning of WWI? I think not.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Remembering the First World War
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy