Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Rubber Dogshit at the Dollar General
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Rubber Dogshit at the Dollar General (Read 684 times)
Jeff
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Rubber Dogshit at the Dollar General
Reply #10 - Nov 20th, 2018 at 8:41am
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Nov 19th, 2018 at 10:57pm:
I've noticed Humans glorify aggression.

You deliberately misinterpret what I say, again and again.
People like getting beat up in the street? Or people glorify the beatings? Which is it?

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #11 - Nov 20th, 2018 at 3:40pm
Print Post  
Snarky Sack wrote on Nov 18th, 2018 at 3:34pm:
Anyway, [the Dollar General store] was nice inside.  Of course, the private sector has to make things nice for us, unlike places like public schools, DMV's, county hospitals that have a captive audience. 

In another thread, I identified the VA Hospital as the "most depressing place on Earth".

#2 Most Depressing Place on Earth would be the DMV, IMO.

I dread going there almost as much as I dread going to the VA Hospital.

No matter what matter of business I need to conduct there, I know I will need to waste at least an hour of my life.

The tiny parking lot is always full, so there's only street parking available. So to find a spot on the street, one must keep making circuits around the block until someone leaves, and quickly nab the space.

Years ago, they used to have a 4 or 5 "motorcycle only" parking spaces provided in the DMV lot, but they later converted those into a couple of Handicapped Parking spaces.   Angry

What's nice is I can make an "appointment" before going to the DMV.

But the "appointment" is just so you can go to a special area where you get a number-in-line. The hard-plastic chairs are really uncomfortable -  that's probably intentional.

It's depressing when my number is 144 and a DVM worker calls "Sixty-Two - Sesenta y Dos!" over the intercom.   Cry

IP Logged

Snarky Sack

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #12 - Nov 20th, 2018 at 4:45pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Nov 20th, 2018 at 3:40pm:
In another thread, I identified the VA Hospital as the "most depressing place on Earth".

No matter what matter of business I need to conduct there, I know I will need to waste at least an hour of my life.

The tiny parking lot is always full, so there's only street parking available. So to find a spot on the street, one must keep making circuits around the block until someone leaves, and quickly nab the space.

Years ago, they used to have a 4 or 5 "motorcycle only" parking spaces provided in the DMV lot, but they later converted those into a couple of Handicapped Parking spaces.   Angry

But the "appointment" is just so you can go to a special area where you get a number-in-line. The hard-plastic chairs are really uncomfortable -  that's probably intentional.

It's depressing when my number is 144 and a DVM worker calls "Sixty-Two - Sesenta y Dos!" over the intercom.   Cry

I had to deal with the VA in getting the GI bill in the 80's.  It was a nightmare.  Came close to being evicted because I was going to school and counting on those VA payments since I wasn't working full time.  Zero sympathy, zero sense of urgency to help me get the money that had been promised in exchanged for me working unlimited hours per week for less than six hundred per month.

I tell this story often, so sorry if I already have:  When my first son got his DL, they had just made the road test optional.  I wanted my son to take it, though.  I just wanted the state to agree with my judgement that he was roadworthy (I was pre-libertarian, obviously).  He got a bit of an attitude, which didn't phase me.  But then the DMV got an attitude.  They acted put out that I wanted them to do the "hard work" of scheduling a test when it was optional.  I mean literally, raised voices, Hurrumphing, rolled eyes. 

By the time my third son was ready for his DL, the test had been changed back to mandatory.  But they still had the attitude.  Like it was my fault even thought he had to take the test.  They kept mentioning that there was a bigger DMV just built about twenty miles away with "faster testing." 

I took their word for it with my next two.  The larger center was a little better.  But can you imagine private sector workers acting like that?  They'd last about an hour, literally, before they'd be out.

"I think I'll backtrack." - Jeff

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #13 - Nov 20th, 2018 at 4:46pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Nov 20th, 2018 at 3:40pm:

I think I mentioned that there's a privately owned and operated DMV office in my small town that I've been using for 15 years. The worst I can remember was waiting for one person to buy a new license plate, and he was getting a vanity plate, so as soon as he got the paperwork he needed to fill out, the woman at the counter asked me what I needed, Hon...

When I told her just to renew my registration, she took care of it while the man ahead of me filled out his vanity plate paper.

It's great except that for a new drivers license, I have to go to the state owned and operated DMV office, and it's just exactly like the one you described. Cry

Maybe there are federal regulations requiring all Official State DMV offices in every state to suck equally for all comers, as the 14th Amendment requires. Grin

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #14 - Nov 20th, 2018 at 4:50pm
Print Post  
Snarky Sack wrote on Nov 20th, 2018 at 4:45pm:
I had to deal with the VA in getting the GI bill in the 80's.  It was a nightmare.  Came close to being evicted because I was going to school and counting on those VA payments since I wasn't working full time.
You've been attached to the government tit since the '70s?

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #15 - Nov 20th, 2018 at 4:55pm
Print Post  
But then the DMV got an attitude.  They acted put out that I wanted them to do the "hard work" of scheduling a test when it was optional. 
Optional probably meant optional by their choice, not yours. If they had a candidate for a license that they thought might not really be ready to have a license, they could use the road test as a further evaluation before saying no, we don't think you are ready to drive.

They'd probably just had their budget cut so they no longer had the manpower to do all the tests that were no longer mandatory.

Didn't you're kids school have drivers ed?

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #16 - Nov 20th, 2018 at 4:58pm
Print Post  
But can you imagine private sector workers acting like that?
In the private sector, they'd tell you "The road test is $100 extra if you want it, and you have to buy the insurance, which is $25".

You could shop around for better deals. Smiley

IP Logged

Snarky Sack

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #17 - Nov 20th, 2018 at 5:02pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Nov 20th, 2018 at 4:55pm:
Optional probably meant optional by their choice, not yours. If they had a candidate for a license that they thought might not really be ready to have a license, they could use the road test as a further evaluation before saying no, we don't think you are ready to drive.

They'd probably just had their budget cut so they no longer had the manpower to do all the tests that were no longer mandatory.

Didn't you're kids school have drivers ed?

Nah.  Maybe because it was a small town, I don't know.  Texas does have parent-taught driver's ed, which is basically a process of filling out the forms correctly as you can imagine.

You know how we are, we just accept what government "gives" us.  I have to start a thread about that someday . . .

IP Logged

Snarky Sack

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #18 - Nov 20th, 2018 at 5:05pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Nov 20th, 2018 at 4:58pm:
In the private sector, they'd tell you "The road test is $100 extra if you want it, and you have to buy the insurance, which is $25".

You could shop around for better deals. Smiley

Right, which is why private sector would be better.

Was that your point?  I'd be disappointed if you said that this is yet another defense of government control of our lives.

Never mind, I just read your defense of the DMV treating the taxpayers like welfare dolees because their budget got cut.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #19 - Nov 20th, 2018 at 5:31pm
Print Post  
Snarky Sack wrote on Nov 20th, 2018 at 5:02pm:
Nah.  Maybe because it was a small town, I don't know.  Texas does have parent-taught driver's ed, which is basically a process of filling out the forms correctly as you can imagine.

You know how we are, we just accept what government "gives" us.  I have to start a thread about that someday . . .

Just make a list of everything you've received personally during your 35-40 years on the government tit.

BTW, working long hours for low pay as you did in the military was something you chose wasn't it?

Did you stay in long enough to get a pension?

What else beside low pay comprised your benefit package? Food, clothing, medical care... Anything else? VA benefits when you got out...

What combat zone were you in?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Rubber Dogshit at the Dollar General
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy