Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Rubber Dogshit at the Dollar General
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Rubber Dogshit at the Dollar General (Read 682 times)
Jeff
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Rubber Dogshit at the Dollar General
Reply #20 - Nov 20th, 2018 at 5:35pm
Print Post  
Snarky Sack wrote on Nov 20th, 2018 at 5:05pm:
Right, which is why private sector would be better.

Was that your point?
You were complaining that your free government service didn't automatically provide everything you wanted it to. You were demanding another free service.

You said a private sector business that didn't give you the free things you demanded wouldn't stay in business long at all. Cheesy

I was just pointing out that the private sector would charge you for the free service you were demanding from the state.

IP Logged

Snarky Sack

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #21 - Nov 20th, 2018 at 7:07pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Nov 20th, 2018 at 5:35pm:
You were complaining that your free government service didn't automatically provide everything you wanted it to. You were demanding another free service.

The "service" DMV provides is "permission" to drive on the streets that my tax dollars paid for.  That "service" is only "free" to people like you who openly state that they have no interest in getting a job since they are living the life of leisure courtesy of the taxpayers.

Quote:
You said a private sector business that didn't give you the free things you demanded wouldn't stay in business long at all. Cheesy

I was just pointing out that the private sector would charge you for the free service you were demanding from the state.

The private sector would have no power to charge me for the service of giving me a "license" to drive my own car on roads I paid for. 

They could set up a shop like that.  Maybe they could offer licenses to cook lasagna.  But without the guns backing them up, anyone could cook lasagna without their "license."  Who would buy their "license?"

"I think I'll backtrack." - Jeff

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #22 - Nov 20th, 2018 at 7:49pm
Print Post  
Snarky Sack wrote on Nov 20th, 2018 at 7:07pm:
The "service" DMV provides is "permission" to drive on the streets that my tax dollars paid for.  That "service" is only "free" to people like you...
You offered to pay your DMV examiners extra if they'd give your boy a road test?

They also register vehicles, which can come in handy if yours is stolen.

Note: I'm still paying state taxes and none of the services I get from my DMV are free anymore. They haven't been for years. I pay fees for everything.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #23 - Nov 20th, 2018 at 7:51pm
Print Post  
Snarky Sack wrote on Nov 20th, 2018 at 7:07pm:
The private sector would have no power to charge me for the service of giving me a "license" to drive my own car on roads I paid for. 

You were demanding that the DMV give your boy a road test. The private sector will charge you for that.

IP Logged

Snarky Sack

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #24 - Nov 21st, 2018 at 10:39am
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Nov 20th, 2018 at 7:49pm:
You offered to pay your DMV examiners extra if they'd give your boy a road test?

They also register vehicles, which can come in handy if yours is stolen.

If registering vehicles is such a useful service, they should have no trouble with making it voluntary to pay for.  If I call the police and report my vehicle stolen but I never registered it, I won't expect that they will have any way to prove it's mine even in the extremely unlikely event they find it.  But that was my . . . wait for it . . . choice.

Quote:
Note: I'm still paying state taxes and none of the services I get from my DMV are free anymore. They haven't been for years. I pay fees for everything.

Yes, government plays us for fools.  What else is new?

IP Logged

Snarky Sack

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #25 - Nov 21st, 2018 at 10:41am
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Nov 20th, 2018 at 7:51pm:
You were demanding that the DMV give your boy a road test. The private sector will charge you for that.

Oh, I see what you're hung up on.  You didn't read the very next sentence.  Here, try again:

Quote:
I just wanted the state to agree with my judgement that he was roadworthy (I was pre-libertarian, obviously).

Pre-libertarian means I was not a libertarian yet.   

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #26 - Nov 26th, 2018 at 9:42am
Print Post  
Snarky Sack wrote on Nov 21st, 2018 at 10:41am:
Oh, I see what you're hung up on.  You didn't read the very next sentence.  Here, try again:

Pre-libertarian means I was not a libertarian yet.   
I don't think you're a libertarian now either, and I did read your disclaimer.

If you trusted the DMV's road test to tell you if your boy was ready to drive, you were just a fool in my opinion.

Didn't you have a friend you thought was a good driver and a level headed person? That's who you should have asked for a second opinion.

IP Logged

Snarky Sack

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #27 - Nov 26th, 2018 at 10:47am
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Nov 26th, 2018 at 9:42am:
I don't think you're a libertarian now either, and I did read your disclaimer.

If you trusted the DMV's road test to tell you if your boy was ready to drive, you were just a fool in my opinion.

Didn't you have a friend you thought was a good driver and a level headed person? That's who you should have asked for a second opinion.

Yes, Jeff. 

If I had been a libertarian then, that is likely what I would have done.  You don't get that I'm saying that I have since changed my mind.

I guess that's because you have such a hard time ever admitting to being wrong no matter how obvious to everyone else.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #28 - Nov 26th, 2018 at 7:14pm
Print Post  
Snarky Sack wrote on Nov 21st, 2018 at 10:39am:
If registering vehicles is such a useful service, they should have no trouble with making it voluntary to pay for.  If I call the police and report my vehicle stolen but I never registered it, I won't expect that they will have any way to prove it's mine even in the extremely unlikely event they find it.  But that was my . . . wait for it . . . choice.

My state does charge to register my vehicles.

I'm sure private companies would be glad to do the same for a fee, but having the DMV do it provides a unified statewide registry that is accessible to law enforcement people all over the country, and stolen vehicle reports to one police agency are accessible to all.

Possibly some private business would be created to establish a statewide registry combining the registrations done by competing private companies, but I expect that a private investigator you hired to find your stolen vehicle would have to pay to access the records of the statewide company (actually companies, because there would have to be competing vehicle registration companies to get the benefits of market forces)...

What would prevent me from stealing your car and registering it with a private company on the other side of the state? How would they know that you had already registered it with some other company? What would motivate them to try to discover if it was already registered to someone else and therefore refuse to take my proffered registration fee?

Tel me how you think private vehicle registration would work, thanks.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #29 - Nov 26th, 2018 at 7:17pm
Print Post  
Snarky Sack wrote on Nov 26th, 2018 at 10:47am:
Yes, Jeff. 

If I had been a libertarian then, that is likely what I would have done.  You don't get that I'm saying that I have since changed my mind.

I guess that's because you have such a hard time ever admitting to being wrong no matter how obvious to everyone else.
Actually I think that somewhere along the line, you drank the anarchist cool aide, so it doesn't matter much what your views on government were previously.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Rubber Dogshit at the Dollar General
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy