Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › The Problem of Left Curriculum in Public Schools
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) The Problem of Left Curriculum in Public Schools (Read 699 times)
Jeff
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: The Problem of Left Curriculum in Public Schools
Reply #20 - Nov 28th, 2018 at 7:27am
Print Post  
Snarky Sack wrote on Nov 27th, 2018 at 5:23pm:
But not acting on his own.  Acting at the behest of the taxman.  The sheriff, himself living off money stolen from taxpayers, is happy to help.

I interpret that to mean that the Sheriff, who is paid by the people of the community to enforce the laws, is doing his job.

IP Logged

Snarky Sack

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #21 - Nov 28th, 2018 at 10:33am
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Nov 28th, 2018 at 7:27am:
I interpret that to mean that the Sheriff, who is paid by the people of the community to enforce the laws, is doing his job.

He is not "paid by the people of the community" because "paying" is a voluntary act.  "Paying taxes" is a misnomer because the taxes are taken by force.  Banks don't instruct their tellers to "pay" bank robbers.   They say "surrender the money and cooperate so no one gets hurt." The same thing we do when taxes become due.

"I think I'll backtrack." - Jeff

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #22 - Nov 28th, 2018 at 4:16pm
Print Post  
Snarky Sack wrote on Nov 28th, 2018 at 10:33am:
He is not "paid by the people of the community" because "paying" is a voluntary act.  "Paying taxes" is a misnomer because the taxes are taken by force.
The power to tax is a granted power that can be removed.

Since you are so firmly convinced that all taxation is theft and that no one pays taxes unless they are under a threat of death, you should have an easy time of it convincing some small town to end local taxation as it applies to them. Give it a try. Let us know when you've done it.

IP Logged

Snarky Sack

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #23 - Nov 28th, 2018 at 9:02pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Nov 28th, 2018 at 4:16pm:
The power to tax is a granted power that can be removed.

Since you are so firmly convinced that all taxation is theft and that no one pays taxes unless they are under a threat of death, you should have an easy time of it convincing some small town to end local taxation as it applies to them. Give it a try. Let us know when you've done it.

Right, all they have to do is elect officials who promise to end taxation.   Just like how we voted for all those congressmen who promised to pass a term-limit law.  Surprise, surprise!  Once they were in office, the "realized" that term limits actually suck.

Just like those local politicians will suddenly realize that sometimes you just gotta steal the money.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #24 - Nov 29th, 2018 at 8:39am
Print Post  
Snarky Sack wrote on Nov 28th, 2018 at 9:02pm:
Right, all they have to do is elect officials who promise to end taxation.
Once you convince the people that their local government will do just fine without relying on tax revenues, they will demand that the people currently in office eliminate taxation, and since the people in office really want to be re-elected, they'll end taxation.

What are you waiting for? (You really know it won't work don't you?)

IP Logged

Snarky Sack

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #25 - Nov 29th, 2018 at 1:47pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Nov 29th, 2018 at 8:39am:
Once you convince the people that their local government will do just fine without relying on tax revenues, they will demand that the people currently in office eliminate taxation, and since the people in office really want to be re-elected, they'll end taxation.

What are you waiting for? (You really know it won't work don't you?)

I don't believe we'll ever vote our way out of statism.  Not with a representative government in which we actually pay the people who tax us. 

Representative democracy is the perfect way to guarantee an authoritarian government that people will put up with if they can be convinced that they get to pick their own rulers.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #26 - Nov 29th, 2018 at 4:00pm
Print Post  
Snarky Sack wrote on Nov 29th, 2018 at 1:47pm:
Representative democracy is the perfect way to guarantee an authoritarian government that people will put up with if they can be convinced that they get to pick their own rulers.

Right, we never should have let "progressives" turn our constitutional Republic into a rigged "representative" democracy.

Why not help turn it back into the constitutional Republic it's supposed to be...

That's right, you think anarchy will be better...

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #27 - Nov 29th, 2018 at 4:58pm
Print Post  
Snarky Sack wrote on Nov 20th, 2018 at 7:00pm:
That is awesome, Dori!

I'm going to strongly recommend that Jeff read as much of your library as he can process.  I think it could teach him a LOT.

That's your solution?

What will I advocate after I learn everything I can from Dong's "libertarian propaganda children's books"? That control of schools should be very local and that parent's must have a strong voice? Or that teachers must not be dealt with as union members, but as individual teachers? That the Constitution grants no power to the federal government to do anything at all involving education?

Those are my proposed solutions now.

IP Logged

Snarky Sack

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #28 - Nov 29th, 2018 at 5:39pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Nov 29th, 2018 at 4:58pm:
That's your solution?

What will I advocate after I learn everything I can from Dong's "libertarian propaganda children's books"? That control of schools should be very local and that parent's must have a strong voice? Or that teachers must not be dealt with as union members, but as individual teachers? That the Constitution grants no power to the federal government to do anything at all involving education?

Those are my proposed solutions now.

Yeah, they suck.

I notice that two of your three solutions involve force.  I love that you think parents should have a “strong voice” in how their children are educated.  Very generous of you that you would allow parents who are forced to pay taxes a “voice” how their children who are forced to attend government schools are taught. 

Why not let the free market give parents the controlling voice?  Private schools educate children far better for far less money.

How would your law read that would force a private or public school to refuse to bargain with a union the teachers formed?  What would be the penalty if Sack Academy recognizes an organization that its teachers voluntarily join?

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #29 - Nov 30th, 2018 at 1:39am
Print Post  
"The Community" just amounts to a weaselly way to say bullying is fine. If five people want your wallet, by gosh, they can have it, because "The Community" says they can. Everyone has agreed, you see.

No matter what level you do this at, the freeloaders will always be able to have more babies than the non-freeloaders. The freeloaders outnumber the payers and then use their numbers to vote their way.

But let's assume there's a positive right to an education for every child. It follows from pure logic that there must be a maximum number of children, because the carrying capacity of every dollar that can be spent on education will eventually be broken.

And then, you can force people to volunteer (lol), but that, too, has a natural limit. You can work them eight hours a day, and let them still go to their jobs, but there comes a point where you just can't squeeze out another iota.

If the maximum number of children a community can educate, is, say, 1000, then the person who popped out the 1001st baby is an aggressor and a violator of rights - either her own baby's, or other babies' rights.

Therefore, to respect rights, we must also have population control.

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › The Problem of Left Curriculum in Public Schools
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy