Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › The Problem of Left Curriculum in Public Schools
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) The Problem of Left Curriculum in Public Schools (Read 700 times)
Jeff
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: The Problem of Left Curriculum in Public Schools
Reply #60 - Dec 5th, 2018 at 8:35am
Print Post  
Snarky Sack wrote on Dec 5th, 2018 at 7:57am:
No,  my solution is the stop pretending that it isn't stealing when government does it as long as it's stealing to buy us something we really, really want.
The process that allows free people to create governments to serve them by protecting their lives and property and liberty also allows free people to grant the power of taxation to those governments.

When the taxing power is legally granted to the government by the people, the exercise of that legally granted power is not theft.

Local communities are free to create or not create public schools...

They have been creating them since colonial times, not because the colonial or state or federal government told them they had to, but because they wanted to.

They saw (and see) offering an opportunity to get an education to every child in the community as a good thing for everyone involved.

Here's a little history-

http://education.stateuniversity.com/pages/2334/Private-Schooling.html

IP Logged

Snarky Sack

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #61 - Dec 5th, 2018 at 10:24am
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Dec 5th, 2018 at 8:35am:
The process that allows free people to create governments to serve them by protecting their lives and property and liberty also allows free people to grant the power of taxation to those governments.

When the taxing power is legally granted to the government by the people, the exercise of that legally granted power is not theft.

Where in nature does one group of humans get the right to tax another group of humans merely by voting to do so?

If it is not a natural right, what kind of right is it? 

It cannot be anything but the will of the collective, correct?

Quote:
Local communities are free to create or not create public schools...

They have been creating them since colonial times, not because the colonial or state or federal government told them they had to, but because they wanted to.

They saw (and see) offering an opportunity to get an education to every child in the community as a good thing for everyone involved.

It isn't good for a person who has no children and isn't interested in paying for other people's kids' education.  It also isn't good for people who prefer not to sent there kids to public schools and can't afford private schools since they pay so much taxes for public schools.

"I think I'll backtrack." - Jeff

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #62 - Dec 5th, 2018 at 4:16pm
Print Post  
Snarky Sack wrote on Dec 5th, 2018 at 10:24am:
Where in nature does one group of humans get the right to tax another group of humans merely by voting to do so?

When the U.S. Constitution was created and ratified, people were quite a ways beyond "nature". They were actually quite civilized, tolerant and liberal minded people who set about creating a government that would preserve the blessings of liberty for us and our posterity.

They did a pretty good job at something that had never been done before. The world's elites of the time predicted it wouldn't last 10 years.

Part of the approved plan of government was a strictly limited power of taxation. Every type of tax imaginable then, now or in our future is limited by the Constitutional Rules of apportionment and uniformity.

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #63 - Dec 5th, 2018 at 6:09pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Dec 5th, 2018 at 4:16pm:
Every type of tax imaginable then, now or in our future is limited by the Constitutional Rules of apportionment and uniformity.

Nothing is written in stone. Any Part of the Constitution is subject to revision. 

The founders wisely wrote Article V which allows any Amendment to be repealed. The states can convene and repeal taxation with a 2/3 approval.

The time to repeal the 16th Amendment is long overdue.  It never should have been ratified to begin with! What were they thinking??

The income tax has become "a terror and torment to the honest citizen."

"Income taxes are responsible for the transformation of the Federal government from one of limited powers into a vast leviathan whose tentacles reach into almost every aspect of American life." - Ron Paul

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #64 - Dec 6th, 2018 at 8:08am
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Dec 5th, 2018 at 6:09pm:
Nothing is written in stone. Any Part of the Constitution is subject to revision. 

The founders wisely wrote Article V which allows any Amendment to be repealed. The states can convene and repeal taxation with a 2/3 approval.

The time to repeal the 16th Amendment is long overdue.  It never should have been ratified to begin with! What were they thinking??

The income tax has become "a terror and torment to the honest citizen."

"Income taxes are responsible for the transformation of the Federal government from one of limited powers into a vast leviathan whose tentacles reach into almost every aspect of American life." - Ron Paul
It takes 3/4 of the states agreeing to amend the Constitution Chief.

2/3 of the state legislatures can only call a convention, which isn't actually a convention of the states, it's a convention consisting of people chosen by the states to represent the states in the convention.

IP Logged

Snarky Sack

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #65 - Dec 6th, 2018 at 10:23am
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Dec 5th, 2018 at 4:16pm:
When the U.S. Constitution was created and ratified, people were quite a ways beyond "nature". They were actually quite civilized, tolerant and liberal minded people who set about creating a government that would preserve the blessings of liberty for us and our posterity.

They did a pretty good job at something that had never been done before. The world's elites of the time predicted it wouldn't last 10 years.

Part of the approved plan of government was a strictly limited power of taxation. Every type of tax imaginable then, now or in our future is limited by the Constitutional Rules of apportionment and uniformity.

Income taxes are not limited by apportionment.

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #66 - Dec 6th, 2018 at 10:38am
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Dec 6th, 2018 at 8:08am:
It takes 3/4 of the states agreeing to amend the Constitution Chief.

Thanks.   I guess the point I was trying to make is that bad Constitutional Laws can be repealed.

The 18th Amendment was a bad Law.  It ruined countless American lives.  They (wisely) repealed it.

The 16th Amendment was and remains a bad Law.  It ruins the lives of the unfortunate half of Americans who are forced to pay it.

It's time to repeal it.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #67 - Dec 6th, 2018 at 4:01pm
Print Post  
Snarky Sack wrote on Dec 6th, 2018 at 10:23am:
Income taxes are not limited by apportionment.

Right, but taxes on incomes are limited by the Rule of uniformity... another common word you can't grasp the meaning of. Cry

It's the Direct taxes, like taxes on the fruits of your own labor of whatever kind that must be apportioned.

Are you slow witted lad?

IP Logged

Snarky Sack

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #68 - Dec 6th, 2018 at 4:15pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Dec 6th, 2018 at 4:01pm:
Right, but taxes on incomes are limited by the Rule of uniformity... another common word you can't grasp the meaning of. Cry

It's the Direct taxes, like taxes on the fruits of your own labor of whatever kind that must be apportioned.

Are you slow witted lad?

Quote:
I guess so, but so must the justices on the Supreme Court:In Executive Life Ins. Co. v. Commonwealth, 147 Pa. Commw. 105 (Pa. Commw. Ct. 1992), the court held that “the Uniformity Clause means that the classification by the legislative body must be reasonable and the tax must be applied with uniformity upon similar kinds of business or property and with substantial equality of the tax burden to all members of the same class.”

I guess that's the problem with representative democracy.  Our elected representatives keep giving slow-witted people judicial power over cases arising under the constitution.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #69 - Dec 6th, 2018 at 4:53pm
Print Post  
Snarky Sack wrote on Dec 6th, 2018 at 4:15pm:
I guess that's the problem with representative democracy.
As far as I know, that's not the kind of government we have here.

We have a Constitutional Republic.

Your precious "progressive" SCOTUS has interpreted our Constitutional Republic into being a representative democracy, but their interpretation is a lie.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › The Problem of Left Curriculum in Public Schools
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy