Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Should libertarians merge into other parties like the Republicans?
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Should libertarians merge into other parties like the Republicans? (Read 110 times)
Land of Freedom
Libertarian's Forum Administrator

Libertarian's Forum

Should libertarians merge into other parties like the Republicans?
Nov 23rd, 2018 at 2:39pm
Print Post  
Should libertarians merge into other parties like the Republicans? Try to win in a primary to be the major party nominee. Would that be better strategy than running as a 3rd party? Libertarians in the party could demand certain power positions.

LibertariansForum.com The LF Administrator.
IP Logged

Jeff
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Should libertarians merge into other parties like the Republicans?
Reply #1 - Nov 26th, 2018 at 9:08am
Print Post  
I wasn't old enough to vote when the Republican Party consisted largely of people who generally agreed with Goldwater, but at that time, I considered myself to be a Republican.

Ron Paul was elected and reelected as a Republican, even though he's a pretty libertarian sort of person. Justin Amash would get my vote running as a Libertarian or as a Republican. He runs as a Republican because he can't win if he runs as a Libertarian. I'd vote for Amash if he ran as a Democrat.

I've said this before on this forum, libertarians should run as either Republicans or Democrats depending only on which will get them elected. 

Was Ron Paul's vote in the House any less effective because it got listed as a Republican vote? No.

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #2 - Dec 1st, 2018 at 1:59pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Nov 26th, 2018 at 9:08am:
Ron Paul was elected and reelected as a Republican, even though he's a pretty libertarian sort of person.

True.   It was awful to watch republican pundits and the MSM mock and marginalize Paul when he ran for prez.

He talked about abolishing the IRS and closing 700 useless military bases scattered around the globe.

How they hated him for that.

Still, I think libertarians should run as Libertarians.   

re: the presidential debates of 2016.   They deliberately excluded any 3rd party candidates.

The Dems and Republican threw insults and ad-hominem attacks - carried on like 5th graders. Not very informative, but quite entertaining.  Huge ratings - Commercial sponsors made out like bandits.

The Libertarian Presidential Debates were civil and intelligent.  Not ONE ad-hominem attack - no name-calling.  The candidates were civil with each other and stated their positions clearly. 

And one of the Libertarian candidates was actually accused of murdering his neighbor. (not during the debate, though!)   Grin    Huh     Grin

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #3 - Dec 1st, 2018 at 2:54pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Dec 1st, 2018 at 1:59pm:
The Dems and Republican threw insults and ad-hominem attacks - carried on like 5th graders. Not very informative, but quite entertaining.  Huge ratings - Commercial sponsors made out like bandits.

The Libertarian Presidential Debates were civil and intelligent.  Not ONE ad-hominem attack - no name-calling.  The candidates were civil with each other and stated their positions clearly. 

This speaks to what there is, and is not, a great demand for, on your planet.

This in turn, ironically enough, is why some people don't think capitalism works.

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #4 - Dec 2nd, 2018 at 6:40am
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Dec 1st, 2018 at 2:54pm:
This speaks to what there is, and is not, a great demand for, on your planet.

This in turn, ironically enough, is why some people don't think capitalism works.
People think free economies don't work because the TwoParties put on another fake presidential "debate"?

How do you make a connection like that?

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #5 - Dec 2nd, 2018 at 4:22pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Dec 2nd, 2018 at 6:40am:
People think free economies don't work because the TwoParties put on another fake presidential "debate"?

How do you make a connection like that?

Because your populace is too stupid to choose logic over shit-flinging, when they have a choice.

With this populace, how can you claim that better products will win over crappier ones? The one that attacks its opponent hardest in advertising will have all you chimps hooting and cheering for it.

Facts do not matter to you.

So products will be crappier. But libertarianism is right because it is moral. The result does not matter.

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #6 - Dec 2nd, 2018 at 5:21pm
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Dec 2nd, 2018 at 4:22pm:
Because your populace is too stupid to choose logic over shit-flinging, when they have a choice.

The choice looks like it's between a rigged economy or rigged "debates".

That's no choice.

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #7 - Dec 2nd, 2018 at 5:50pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Dec 2nd, 2018 at 5:21pm:
The choice looks like it's between a rigged economy or rigged "debates".

That's no choice.

I have never given my vote to a main-party candidate.

Are you claiming only Vulcans have free will? Only people with extremely high IQ? How many standard deviations?

If not, there's no reason I have any more free choice than anyone else. Everyone else can, in fact, make the same choice I did. Theoretically.

-SnarkySack

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #8 - Dec 2nd, 2018 at 6:09pm
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Dec 2nd, 2018 at 5:50pm:
I have never given my vote to a main-party candidate.

Are you claiming only Vulcans have free will? Only people with extremely high IQ? How many standard deviations?

If not, there's no reason I have any more free choice than anyone else. Everyone else can, in fact, make the same choice I did. Theoretically.
Undecided

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Should libertarians merge into other parties like the Republicans?
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy