Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Voter Fraud - Is An 8 Year Sentence Too Harsh?
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Voter Fraud - Is An 8 Year Sentence Too Harsh? (Read 366 times)
Snarky Sack
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Voter Fraud - Is An 8 Year Sentence Too Harsh?
Reply #40 - Dec 4th, 2018 at 5:02pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Dec 4th, 2018 at 4:24pm:
Even if they have been legally authorized by the people?

Sure.

Because there is no “right to tax” that supersedes they right to own property.

Quote:
If an import tariff was laid that placed a 3% tax on all imports to the U.S., uniformly, would you still say it was theft?

Please tell me specifically who is being robbed,

The people who pay the taxes.  They may pass that cost on, but the person who pays the greater price due to the tariff does so voluntarily.  The person who hands over the money does so under threat of violence.  I’m not sure what definition you use to say that this isn’t robbery.

Quote:
and if you think the robbery is uniform? Do you think that sort of "theft" by the government is fair and just? Please answer specifically. Thanks.

It is neither fair nor just.  I have no opinion of whether any tax is ever “uniform” except the opinion that any supposed uniformity doesn’t change an immoral act of stealing into a moral act.

"I think I'll backtrack." - Jeff

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #41 - Dec 4th, 2018 at 5:36pm
Print Post  
Snarky Sack wrote on Dec 4th, 2018 at 5:02pm:
Because there is no “right to tax”...
True so far, but then you run off into the weeds again.

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #42 - Dec 4th, 2018 at 9:53pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Dec 4th, 2018 at 7:39am:
OK then, it's your ideology that blinds you to the fact that legally authorized taxes collected in legally authorized ways are fundamentally different than criminal theft.

Again, your only argument is that your conclusion is obvious and others are simply blind to it.

Are they different? Meaningfully so? I am certainly not the one who objects to talking about how and why.

You dart away, kick, scratch, and bite because you fear your own cognitive dissonance. You fear delving deeply enough into the matter that you'll come across your own self-contradictions.

You know, no one's saying you can't refine your beliefs when you get there. If you can't cross that river on your sucky wagon, caulk it. If it still sinks, plug the holes. Make it better. Don't fear the river.

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #43 - Dec 5th, 2018 at 8:00am
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Dec 4th, 2018 at 9:53pm:
Again, your only argument is that your conclusion is obvious and others are simply blind to it.

Are they different? Meaningfully so? I am certainly not the one who objects to talking about how and why.

One (legally applied taxation) is authorized by the highest law, the other (theft and fraud) is made illegal by the common law.

That's a meaningful difference isn't it?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Voter Fraud - Is An 8 Year Sentence Too Harsh?
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy