Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Another Myth About the Wage Gap
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Another Myth About the Wage Gap (Read 40 times)
Jeff
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Another Myth About the Wage Gap
Dec 5th, 2018 at 9:09am
Print Post  
Trying as usual to prove that "capitalism" is an evil suppressor of women.

https://reason.com/blog/2018/12/04/a-new-wage-gap-myth?utm_medium=email

IP Logged

Snarky Sack

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Another Myth About the Wage Gap
Reply #1 - Dec 5th, 2018 at 12:17pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Dec 5th, 2018 at 9:09am:
Trying as usual to prove that "capitalism" is an evil suppressor of women.

https://reason.com/blog/2018/12/04/a-new-wage-gap-myth?utm_medium=email

But if a community agrees that there is a real wage gap and that capitalists should be taxed in order for the government to correct that gap, you can have no moral objection to those taxes.

"I think I'll backtrack." - Jeff

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #2 - Dec 5th, 2018 at 4:31pm
Print Post  
Snarky Sack wrote on Dec 5th, 2018 at 12:17pm:
But if a community agrees that there is a real wage gap and that capitalists should be taxed in order for the government to correct that gap, you can have no moral objection to those taxes.
What definition of community are you using?

It's a fair question. I speak of communities controlling local schools, so I'm obviously speaking of local communities.

You aren't thinking of local communities are you? Did you think they'd all been destroyed?

Edit: Yes of course I have a moral objection to expending revenue to try to make things level. It's a proven bad idea that has serious dangerous side effects.

It's also unconstitutional for want of granted power.

Edit 2: I think perhaps some Kalifornia cities have closed the wage gap by law. It's probably not working as advertised.

IP Logged

Snarky Sack

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #3 - Dec 5th, 2018 at 5:27pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Dec 5th, 2018 at 4:31pm:
What definition of community are you using?

It's a fair question. I speak of communities controlling local schools, so I'm obviously speaking of local communities.

Then that's what I mean also. 

Quote:
You aren't thinking of local communities are you? Did you think they'd all been destroyed?

Edit: Yes of course I have a moral objection to expending revenue to try to make things level. It's a proven bad idea that has serious dangerous side effects.

You forgot to say, "except for making sure poor kids get to go to government school.  Then I love expending revenue to try to make things level."

Quote:
It's also unconstitutional for want of granted power.

You said local people have a right to levy taxes for things that pretty much everyone agrees on.  If everyone in a local community agrees that taxes should be used make things level, be those things education or wages, you can have no moral objection to one but not the other.

Quote:
Edit 2: I think perhaps some Kalifornia cities have closed the wage gap by law. It's probably not working as advertised.

So your objection is practical and not moral.

"I think I'll backtrack." - Jeff

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #4 - Dec 6th, 2018 at 8:04am
Print Post  
Snarky Sack wrote on Dec 5th, 2018 at 5:27pm:
So your objection is practical and not moral.
What's wrong with judging the morality of an action by it's results?

Do you think morality exists only in theory?

In fact, I think you do. You consider legally authorized taxation to be theft based on a moral principle, but fail to look beyond the theory to the inevitable result of banning what you call "immoral" taxation. A the same time, you discount the good that is accomplished by using legally collected taxes to fund institutions of law and law enforcement that preserve and protect civilization and the rights, property and lives of countless people.

Banning legally authorized taxation is an immoral action if judged by its results, and conversely, using the revenue from legally collected taxes to preserve individual rights is moral.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Another Myth About the Wage Gap
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy