Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › CNN Makes Stunning Admission
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) CNN Makes Stunning Admission (Read 607 times)
Little Big Man
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

CNN Makes Stunning Admission
Dec 17th, 2018 at 10:09am
Print Post  
Quote:
Many consumers, however, have not been happy with the changes Obamacare wrought -- particularly because they caused premiums to spike. Many middle class Americans who don't qualify for subsidies have dropped their coverage, saying it's now unaffordable.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/15/politics/obamacare-texas-ruling/index.html

I'm really shocked that the statist media admits this.  The only thing that would be more shocking is if they added, "Just as Obamacare opponents predicted it would the whole time . . . "

Doesn't matter.  The USSC knows it would be politically unpopular to actually end Obamacare.  When the government institutes a new entitlement, the productive get used to paying for it almost as fast as the unproductive get used to benefiting from it. 

Picture a non-productive person who is on a laundry list of mood-altering medications made "affordable" (to him) because:

Quote:
. . . Obamacare helped close the gap in Medicare's drug coverage and was on track to completely eliminate it by 2020.

Assuming such a person is a keyboard warrior who strongly supports the GOP's supposed goal of reducing entitlements (except for his), he will be emailing his representatives, senators and whoever else he can annoy to tell them to get his entitlement back.  This person (I'll call him "Jeb") will also no doubt spend his days posting those cute little Facebook memes like "If you are pro-war, pro-death penalty and anti-healthcare, you are NOT pro-life."

The Dems will propose another Obamacare that will likely be worse because it will try to fix the current Obamacare and statists always make things worse when they try to "fix" them.  The GOP will offer their own version which will be just as bad if not worse.  The the Twoparties will come up with a compromise that combines the worst of each side's plans.

Snarky no more!

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Re: CNN Makes Stunning Admission
Reply #1 - Dec 17th, 2018 at 11:37am
Print Post  
Little Big Man wrote on Dec 17th, 2018 at 10:09am:
  When the government institutes a new entitlement, the productive get used to paying for it almost as fast as the unproductive get used to benefiting from it. 

I think it was Jeff who suggested that only property owners should have voting rights.

Whoever it was,  I agree.

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #2 - Dec 17th, 2018 at 9:24pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Dec 17th, 2018 at 11:37am:
I think it was Jeff who suggested that only property owners should have voting rights.

That was actually the mod. Jeff's plan includes those who pay taxes on income, whether they own land or not.

I think Land of Freedom's plan is more moral, but Jeff's plan is more fair.

I'm really shocked that the statist media admits this.

I'm not. It's checkmate at this point. The moves still have to be played out, but they don't have to hide their motives anymore.

If you're working class, and you get sick, you gon' die.

This will leave Democrats with a bigger base.

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #3 - Dec 19th, 2018 at 8:33am
Print Post  
https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/15/politics/obamacare-texas-ruling/index.html

I'm really shocked that the statist media admits this.
They don't mind admitting that the ACA failed/is failing because it wasn't what they wanted anyway. They wanted and still want  government funded bureaucrat administered health care for all.

What would be shocking would be an admission that free markets in health/medical care and drugs and insurance would produce far better results.

IP Logged

Little Big Man

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #4 - Dec 19th, 2018 at 9:38am
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Dec 19th, 2018 at 8:33am:
They don't mind admitting that the ACA failed/is failing because it wasn't what they wanted anyway. They wanted and still want  government funded bureaucrat administered health care for all.

That is a logical point and I believe you are correct.

Snarky no more!

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #5 - Dec 24th, 2018 at 5:11pm
Print Post  
Little Big Man wrote on Dec 19th, 2018 at 9:38am:
That is a logical point and I believe you are correct.

What should we do?

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #6 - Jan 1st, 2019 at 2:02pm
Print Post  

Assuming all else remains as it is now, I would make the rule that only Federal individual tax payers can vote.  That means you have to actually pay net taxes, not just file

Contest winner:  I predicted Kaz' meltdown

IP Logged

Little Big Man

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #7 - Jan 3rd, 2019 at 8:22pm
Print Post  

kaz wrote on Jan 1st, 2019 at 2:02pm:
Assuming all else remains as it is now, I would make the rule that only Federal individual tax payers can vote.  That means you have to actually pay net taxes, not just file

Either one of those would lead to improvement in our authoritarian, seemingly all powerful central government that the Whiskey Rebellion ushered in. 

However, those would be the opposite of libertarianism.  Once you accept the statist premise that government has the moral right to take our money because "LuLsies, majority rules," it is important that everyone to be governed by that government has a say in it.  Otherwise, your already extremely shaky "majority rules, so government can steal" argument collapses entirely.

Snarky no more!

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #8 - Jan 3rd, 2019 at 9:16pm
Print Post  
Little Big Man wrote on Jan 3rd, 2019 at 8:22pm:

Jeff and Kaz suggest that only taxpayers get the vote.

Land of Freedom said that only property owners should get the vote.

Either one of those would lead to improvement in our authoritarian, seemingly all powerful central government that the Whiskey Rebellion ushered in. 

You do realise that all welfare queens would suddenly have to pay a single penny in taxes per year, right?

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #9 - Jan 3rd, 2019 at 9:35pm
Print Post  
Once you accept the statist premise that government has the moral right to take our money because "LuLsies, majority rules," it is important that everyone to be governed by that government has a say in it

Here you go, Cleetus: 

kaz:  "Assuming all else remains as it is now"

Idiot

Contest winner:  I predicted Kaz' meltdown

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › CNN Makes Stunning Admission
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy