Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Liberals, Defend a Drunk-Driving Illegal Immigrant
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Liberals, Defend a Drunk-Driving Illegal Immigrant (Read 117 times)
The Opposition
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Liberals, Defend a Drunk-Driving Illegal Immigrant
Dec 25th, 2018 at 1:37am
Print Post  

I saw this video titled:

Liberals Defend a Drunk-Driving Illegal Immigrant

and I thought I'd call on some classical liberals to defend a drunk-driving illegal immigrant, adding a comma.

I'll start.

First, drunk driving should be a right, unless on a private road that forbids it. So should owning a gun. How many people die is irrelevant. You have a right to bear arms, and you have a similar right to bear a car.

"Endangering" people is not aggression. If it is, please give up your gun.

Needless to say, deportation is aggression. Forcefully removing someone from their own property? How can you argue for this? You cannot.

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Liberals, Defend a Drunk-Driving Illegal Immigrant
Reply #1 - Dec 25th, 2018 at 7:34am
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Dec 25th, 2018 at 1:37am:

I saw this video titled:

and I thought I'd call on some classical liberals to defend a drunk-driving illegal immigrant, adding a comma.

I'll start.

First, drunk driving should be a right, unless on a private road that forbids it. So should owning a gun. How many people die is irrelevant. You have a right to bear arms, and you have a similar right to bear a car.

Needless to say, deportation is aggression. Forcefully removing someone from their own property? How can you argue for this? You cannot.
Reckless endangerment, whether with a car or a gun, is illegal because it is aggression. That's a judgement made over many years by the law and I agree with it, although I don't agree with randomly stopping people and subjecting them to breathalyzer tests, or even randomly stopping people to see if they smell like alcohol or have an open container of alcohol in their car.

Simply owning a gun or a car is not reckless endangerment, but either can be used in such a way as to create reckless endangerment.

Deportation is a response to the aggression of illegal immigration, and responses to aggression are not aggression. I know you don't think illegal immigration is aggression, but people have a right to forbid and punish trespass, and the governments that people create can be granted the authority to forbid and punish trespass on the territory they are charged with protecting.

BTW ,is that what you think "liberal" means, someone who believes in a "right" to recklessly endanger others?

IP Logged

Little Big Man

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #2 - Dec 25th, 2018 at 4:12pm
Print Post  
Ok, first of all, what are you two Scrooges doing posting here on Christmas day? 

Just kidding!

Merry, Christmas and I hope you both had friends and family with which to celebrate the birth of our savior.  I further hope that you have accepted that great gift of salvation.  I have a hard time accepting the claim by my fellow Baptists that only those who formally accept the gift actually receive it.  However, I know for a fact that accepting it can bring a person much peace and a more sensible perspective on worldly matters.  [/sermon]

The Opposition wrote on Dec 25th, 2018 at 1:37am:

I saw this video titled:

Dammit!

I saw your title and I gleefully clicked reply thinking I had finally caught you in a mistake.  Don't you ever get tired of being right all the time?

I'll start.

Instead of ruining people's lives, careers and reputation because a New Years Eve Constable's trap caught them .01 over the "legal limit," why not simply institute the death penalty for vehicular homicide with the option to choose instead a lifetime of servitude paying restitution to the family?  That way people who know they are capable of driving after three Bourbon rocks will not be sent to jail because they don't have a home breathalyzer, while people who would be dangerous behind the wheel after a half glass of champagne would have an incentive to Uber home.

Jeff wrote on Dec 25th, 2018 at 7:34am:
Reckless endangerment, whether with a car or a gun, is illegal because it is aggression. That's a judgement made over many years by the law and I agree with it, although I don't agree with randomly stopping people and subjecting them to breathalyzer tests, or even randomly stopping people to see if they smell like alcohol or have an open container of alcohol in their car.

Is that because people have a right to drive?

Quote:

Simply owning a gun or a car is not reckless endangerment, but either can be used in such a way as to create reckless endangerment.

Deportation is a response to the aggression of illegal immigration, and responses to aggression are not aggression. I know you don't think illegal immigration is aggression, but people have a right to forbid and punish trespass, and the governments that people create can be granted the authority to forbid and punish trespass on the territory they are charged with protecting.

I believe Opposition specified a person being taken off of his own land.  Being on one's own land is the opposite of trespassing, isn't it?  How is it not aggression to tell a Chinese woman who has bought a mall in Kansas that she has no right to be in it?

Snarky no more!

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #3 - Dec 25th, 2018 at 4:23pm
Print Post  
Little Big Man wrote on Dec 25th, 2018 at 4:12pm:
Ok, first of all, what are you two Scrooges doing posting here on Christmas day? 

I'm not a Christian, so I don't celebrate Christmas. I'm not a pagan either, so I don't celebrate the winter solstice, other than to be happy that the days will be getting longer and the sun higher in the sky! Smiley

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #4 - Dec 25th, 2018 at 4:25pm
Print Post  
Merry, Christmas and I hope you both had friends and family with which to celebrate the birth of our savior.  I further hope that you have accepted that great gift of salvation.  I have a hard time accepting the claim by my fellow Baptists that only those who formally accept the gift actually receive it.  However, I know for a fact that accepting it can bring a person much peace and a more sensible perspective on worldly matters. 
Now that I know you're some sort of baptist, it might be easier for me to understand you. Don't count on it.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #5 - Dec 25th, 2018 at 4:30pm
Print Post  
Instead of ruining people's lives, careers and reputation because a New Years Eve Constable's trap caught them .01 over the "legal limit," why not simply institute the death penalty for vehicular homicide with the option to choose instead a lifetime of servitude paying restitution to the family?  That way people who know they are capable of driving after three Bourbon rocks will not be sent to jail because they don't have a home breathalyzer, while people who would be dangerous behind the wheel after a half glass of champagne would have an incentive to Uber home.
I don't like your idea of subjecting someone to a lifetime of slavery, and not just because it would cost too much to administer and require far too powerful of a state.

If you get stopped for driving erratically and it's because you have been drinking, I think you should be charged with reckless endangerment. In general (and I speak as a lifetime motorcycle rider) I think all erratic driving should draw a charge of reckless endangerment no matter what the cause of the erratic driving.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #6 - Dec 25th, 2018 at 4:32pm
Print Post  
Is that because people have a right to drive?

Of course people have a right to drive.

Why do you doubt it?

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #7 - Dec 25th, 2018 at 4:34pm
Print Post  
I believe Opposition specified a person being taken off of his own land.  Being on one's own land is the opposite of trespassing, isn't it?  How is it not aggression to tell a Chinese woman who has bought a mall in Kansas that she has no right to be in it?
How high is U.S. airspace? Does the Chinese woman have a right to traverse U.S. airspace on the way to her mall? Why?

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #8 - Dec 25th, 2018 at 5:29pm
Print Post  

My mother-in-law calls me Scrooge because I'm frugal. I actually give people good stuff on X-Mas, I'm just frugal. When I set out a $20 value veggie plate, I paid maybe $7 for it because I cut it all up and made the Ranch dressing myself. My beloved is frugal too. From where I sit (and my beloved has agreed with me) I'm normal and my mother-in-law is decidedly wasteful. When she wants rum-and-coke, she'll buy a $6 2L bottle of Coke from the liquour store rather than go into Walmart that's next door and pay less than $2 for the same bottle. She should be the one with the derogatory nickname! But instead I get called Scrooge?

...And that's when she's not calling me Bad Will Hunting.

Merry Christmas

Thanks. Smiley

Instead of ruining people's lives, careers and reputation because a New Years Eve Constable's trap caught them .01 over the "legal limit," why not simply institute the death penalty for vehicular homicide with the option to choose instead a lifetime of servitude paying restitution to the family?

I'll tell you exactly why not and it's going to make you super-depressed. I think you should know as a sort of PSA warning that my cynicism has singlehandedly put people off their religion, and that's when my pictures of parasites aren't putting them off their food.

It's because Humans are little babies who scream when their emotions tell them to scream. They don't stop and self-examine, because they can't. On a good day, I'll say, "Well, no one taught them to," but usually I just admit that most of them simply lack the capability.

While your plan would have the objective result of vastly less aggression and vastly less unnecessary death (10k per year, check the video; that's sickening), one person would misjudge, drink and drive, then kill someone, and nobody would be able to "ruin his life" by punishing him. There would be an outcry, and the punishment would be revealed as a paper tiger.

"Killing or enslaving him won't bring the victim back!" the Humans would cry.

...And like all little babies, they'd get their way, because they're so myopic they can't see past their own noses, and they can't be expected to completely understand the issue.

Jeff wrote on Dec 25th, 2018 at 4:34pm:
How high is U.S. airspace? Does the Chinese woman have a right to traverse U.S. airspace on the way to her mall? Why?

Yes, because of right-of-way or whatever it was that Alan explained to me about how a property includes the right to get to and from it.

If it's hers, she's entitled to go to it, as part of the title of the property.

Besides, no one really owns the air above that mall.

Jeff wrote on Dec 25th, 2018 at 4:30pm:
If you get stopped for driving erratically and it's because you have been drinking, I think you should be charged with reckless endangerment. In general (and I speak as a lifetime motorcycle rider) I think all erratic driving should draw a charge of reckless endangerment no matter what the cause of the erratic driving.

I swerved to avoid what I assume was a skunk. I didn't risk hitting anyone.

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #9 - Dec 26th, 2018 at 8:16am
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Dec 25th, 2018 at 5:29pm:
Yes, because of right-of-way or whatever it was that Alan explained to me about how a property includes the right to get to and from it.

If it's hers, she's entitled to go to it, as part of the title of the property.

Besides, no one really owns the air above that mall.

I swerved to avoid what I assume was a skunk. I didn't risk hitting anyone.
In reality, she will have some sort of visa allowing her entry into the country. If she has been refused a visa because she's considered a danger to others, (or for some other good reason) she won't be able to visit her mall.

Right of ways are generally included as means of access to landlocked property, but I don't see that anyone has a right to trespass included with a right to own property. If you buy a parcel of landlocked property that has no right of way included, you are a fool.

Swerving to avoid hazards is not erratic driving, although if you kill a pedestrian or someone in an oncoming car in order to not hit a skunk, I say you drove recklessly and endangered the lives of others.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Liberals, Defend a Drunk-Driving Illegal Immigrant
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy