Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Big Farms Win
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Big Farms Win (Read 85 times)
The Opposition
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Big Farms Win
Dec 26th, 2018 at 11:02am
Print Post  
https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/dairy-farming-is-dying-after-40-years-im-...

Mark my words: When big farms win the long game, they'll be able to push up prices sky-high.

That's aside from some of the issues in the article, like certification being co-opted by the big guys. In a free market, certification would still exist, because you'd still need to know what your product actually was. Is it organic? Is it not?

Private companies would accomplish this goal.

...And since there aren't consequences for lying, the big guys would just buy the certification companies the same way they buy the government.

But that's kind of off track for this topic.

The scientific method praises that which is able to make good predictions, and shuns hypotheses that make inaccurate predictions.

I wish we could do politics like this.

My hypothesis is that getting small farmers out of the business is quite intentional. My prediction is that prices will rise explosively, and that the free market will not keep them in check.

The most successful form of free market competition is anti-competition - behaviour that restricts or eliminates competition.

When all the little guys have committed suicide because they're being forced out of the business by a calculated initiative (over 900 of them did), or become workers who live paycheck-to-paycheck, no one will be able to enter the market to compete with the big guys.

That's the objective. That's when prices will rise explosively. Competition will not bring prices back down because capitalists have figured out how to game the free market and keep prices high: Keep out competition. Turn everyone into a paycheck-to-paycheck worker, who cannot ever enter into the market.

Enjoy that $3 gallon of milk while you can. They're probably taking a loss, or just barely not, to bring it to you at that price.

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Big Farms Win
Reply #1 - Dec 26th, 2018 at 3:16pm
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Dec 26th, 2018 at 11:02am:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/dairy-farming-is-dying-after-40-years-im-...

Mark my words: When big farms win the long game, they'll be able to push up prices sky-high.

That's aside from some of the issues in the article, like certification being co-opted by the big guys. In a free market, certification would still exist, because you'd still need to know what your product actually was. Is it organic? Is it not?

...And since there aren't consequences for lying, the big guys would just buy the certification companies the same way they buy the government.

The scientific method praises that which is able to make good predictions, and shuns hypotheses that make inaccurate predictions.

My hypothesis is that getting small farmers out of the business is quite intentional. My prediction is that prices will rise explosively, and that the free market will not keep them in check.

The most successful form of free market competition is anti-competition - behaviour that restricts or eliminates competition.

When all the little guys have committed suicide because they're being forced out of the business by a calculated initiative (over 900 of them did), or become workers who live paycheck-to-paycheck, no one will be able to enter the market to compete with the big guys.

That's the objective. That's when prices will rise explosively. Competition will not bring prices back down because capitalists have figured out how to game the free market and keep prices high: Keep out competition. Turn everyone into a paycheck-to-paycheck worker, who cannot ever enter into the market.

Enjoy that $3 gallon of milk while you can. They're probably taking a loss, or just barely not, to bring it to you at that price.
One of the reasons small dairy farms mostly disappeared in PA is because the PA Milk Control Commission controls the wholesale price of milk.

Free competition will keep prices under control, but you have to have it before it works.

There are economies of scale in farming, but being big doesn't automatically mean you will be profitable... nevertheless, food in general is relatively cheaper than its ever been... (and almost nobody wants to work on a dairy farm anyway.)

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Re: Big Farms Win
Reply #2 - Jan 1st, 2019 at 1:47pm
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Dec 26th, 2018 at 11:02am:

Eliminating small, inefficient farmers will drive up prices.  Got it. 

You mean like how gas is so expensive because it's dominated by big companies.  No wait, it's cheap.  Electronic companies?  Oh, cheap too.  Air travel?  No, wow, it's cheap.

What are you talking about?

Greg Gutfeld - I became a conservative by being around liberals and I became a libertarian by being around conservatives

Matt Stone - I hate conservatives, but I really f'ing hate liberals

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Big Farms Win
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy