Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › The Thread for Jeff to Answer Questions
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) The Thread for Jeff to Answer Questions (Read 881 times)
Little Big Man
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: The Thread for Jeff to Answer Questions
Reply #40 - Jan 7th, 2019 at 3:16pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Jan 7th, 2019 at 2:43pm:
Right. Lots of people do accept the responsibility of protecting themselves so far as they are capable.

Having the police around to deal with organized criminal gangs is still a necessity, and it's nice to be able to go to work and continue on with your life after you've been robbed and have the police find who robbed you and recover your property and bring the thief to justice.

Oh, yeah!

It is sooooo nice that that happens!

In what percent of cases does that happen, again?

Snarky no more!

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #41 - Jan 7th, 2019 at 4:46pm
Print Post  
Little Big Man wrote on Jan 7th, 2019 at 3:16pm:
Oh, yeah!

It is sooooo nice that that happens!

In what percent of cases does that happen, again?

How many people recover their stolen property and get the thieves into court without the help of the police? Not very many I bet!

IP Logged

Little Big Man

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #42 - Jan 8th, 2019 at 12:02pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Jan 7th, 2019 at 4:46pm:
How many people recover their stolen property and get the thieves into court without the help of the police? Not very many I bet!

About the same number that do get it with police help, which is nearly zero.

Snarky no more!

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #43 - Jan 8th, 2019 at 2:20pm
Print Post  
Little Big Man wrote on Jan 8th, 2019 at 12:02pm:
About the same number that do get it with police help, which is nearly zero.

That's not true.

IP Logged

Little Big Man

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #44 - Jan 8th, 2019 at 2:57pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Jan 8th, 2019 at 2:20pm:
That's not true.

Here is a graph of the recovery rate of stolen property in the United States in 2017, by type.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/252444/recovery-rate-of-stolen-property-in-t...

Less than a third of it is recovered by police and even that figure is skewed by the fact that automobiles are relatively easy to recover, so they are the only item that has an above average recovery rate of 59%

The next highest recovery rate is 15% for livestock, then 14% for firearms, etc down to about 2% for currency.

Not the police fault.  Thieves steal things and use them up and trash them.  Except for cars, which they abandon usually in plain sight because they don't care if they are found. 

This is the recovery rate, meaning that police find the stolen items.  The return rate is much lower and the process for getting items back is so arduous that most taxpayers find it easier just to buy another one and forget it.

Houston PD, to its credit, is trying to return millions of items in their stolen goods warehouse.  But look how arduous the process is for even a department that cares (as most of them don't) about the rightful owners:

Quote:
Captain Gerstner says, "We run out of room and the more property we can get rid of or give back it's better for us."

The Property Division can only release items when a property release form is authorized by a police officer from the division investigating your case.

The following steps are required for the retrieval process:

1. You must first make contact with an investigator from the concerned division to determine whether the property is authorized for release. (Generally, authorization comes from a court or the investigator when the property is no longer necessary for law enforcement purposes).
2. The Property Release Form MUST BE COMPLETED and SIGNED by the investigator from the concerned division prior to picking up property. Once the form is completed and signed, it is given to the citizen or faxed to Property Division.

3. Property Division personnel do not have the authority to release any property unless steps 1 and 2 are completed.
https://abc13.com/news/how-to-recover-your-stolen-property/687688/

Point is, paying so much taxes for our bloated, militarized, redundant and out-of-control law enforcement agencies with the justification that they get our stuff back when it is stolen is ludicrous. 

Snarky no more!

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #45 - Jan 8th, 2019 at 4:39pm
Print Post  
Little Big Man wrote on Jan 8th, 2019 at 2:57pm:
Here is a graph of the recovery rate of stolen property in the United States in 2017, by type.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/252444/recovery-rate-of-stolen-property-in-t...

Less than a third of it is recovered by police and even that figure is skewed by the fact that automobiles are relatively easy to recover, so they are the only item that has an above average recovery rate of 59%

The next highest recovery rate is 15% for livestock, then 14% for firearms, etc down to about 2% for currency.

Not the police fault.  Thieves steal things and use them up and trash them.  Except for cars, which they abandon usually in plain sight because they don't care if they are found. 

Where's the statistics on the recovery rate for people trying to get their stolen property back on their own?

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #46 - Jan 8th, 2019 at 4:42pm
Print Post  
Little Big Man wrote on Jan 8th, 2019 at 2:57pm:
This is the recovery rate, meaning that police find the stolen items.  The return rate is much lower and the process for getting items back is so arduous that most taxpayers find it easier just to buy another one and forget it.

Houston PD, to its credit, is trying to return millions of items in their stolen goods warehouse.  But look how arduous the process is for even a department that cares (as most of them don't) about the rightful owners:

https://abc13.com/news/how-to-recover-your-stolen-property/687688/

Point is, paying so much taxes for our bloated, militarized, redundant and out-of-control law enforcement agencies with the justification that they get our stuff back when it is stolen is ludicrous. 

I agree, that is a problem, primarily with big "progressive" city police with unions.

I happen to live in a place where the recovery rate is better and the police give the recovered property back to the owners.

The federal government "police" are probably the worst as far as not giving things back goes.

IP Logged

Little Big Man

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #47 - Jan 8th, 2019 at 5:06pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Jan 8th, 2019 at 4:42pm:
I agree, that is a problem, primarily with big "progressive" city police with unions.

I happen to live in a place where the recovery rate is better and the police give the recovered property back to the owners.

I’ll take your word for and I’m happy for you.  Actually, in a way I’ve seen it for myself.  Didn’t Andy and Barney get back Aunt Bee’s apple pie when the town loafer stole it from her window sill?

Quote:
The federal government "police" are probably the worst as far as not giving things back goes.

Oooh, you reminded me of a good point:  With civil confiscation laws such as a guy getting his car taken if he drives it to a massage parlor where police are running a prostitution sting, it may well be that police actually take more property than they return property stolen by criminals.

Snarky no more!

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #48 - Jan 8th, 2019 at 5:24pm
Print Post  
Little Big Man wrote on Jan 8th, 2019 at 5:06pm:
I’ll take your word for and I’m happy for you.  Actually, in a way I’ve seen it for myself.  Didn’t Andy and Barney get back Aunt Bee’s apple pie when the town loafer stole it from her window sill?

Oooh, you reminded me of a good point:  With civil confiscation laws such as a guy getting his car taken if he drives it to a massage parlor where police are running a prostitution sting, it may well be that police actually take more property than they return property stolen by criminals.

I take this blather to mean you have absolutely no evidence for your implied assertion that people do well at recovering their own property without the help of police, that what you said is complete B.S.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #49 - Jan 8th, 2019 at 5:29pm
Print Post  
Little Big Man wrote on Jan 8th, 2019 at 5:06pm:
I’ll take your word for and I’m happy for you. 
It's the real world and the Sheriffs are just humans, so they don't catch everybody.

They do return recovered stolen property, and they do catch a lot of criminals.

I attribute it to the fact that your average criminal is more stupid than your average Sheriff. Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › The Thread for Jeff to Answer Questions
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy