Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › The Thread for Jeff to Answer Questions
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 52 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) The Thread for Jeff to Answer Questions (Read 8349 times)
Jeff
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: The Thread for Jeff to Answer Questions
Reply #450 - Apr 3rd, 2019 at 1:32pm
Print Post  
Little Big Man wrote on Apr 3rd, 2019 at 10:07am:
Jeff, did you ever get around to answering this:

Should the school district spend about a hundred extra to get that emotionally disturbed kid glasses that he will wear and therefore has a fair chance at a basic education or be stubborn and refuse and insist that the little ingrate take the glasses we know that he won't wear and therefore let go to waste the hundreds of thousands of dollars already spent trying to educate him?
No, I didn't think it worthy of an answer.

I don't think schools should be buying glasses for children or dealing with emotionally disturbed children either.

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Little Big Man

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #451 - Apr 3rd, 2019 at 1:34pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Apr 3rd, 2019 at 1:32pm:
No, I didn't think it worthy of an answer.

I don't think schools should be buying glasses for children or dealing with emotionally disturbed children either.

So you think that emotionally disturbed kids will poor eyesight will grow up to be a benefit to the community if left uneducated?

Snarky no more!

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #452 - Apr 3rd, 2019 at 1:57pm
Print Post  
Little Big Man wrote on Apr 3rd, 2019 at 1:34pm:
So you think that emotionally disturbed kids will poor eyesight will grow up to be a benefit to the community if left uneducated?
No, they should have a chance to get an education just like every other child, but the schools aren't the proper venue to make sure they have (stylish) glasses or the proper place to deal with their emotional disturbances.

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #453 - Apr 3rd, 2019 at 5:37pm
Print Post  
Little Big Man wrote on Apr 3rd, 2019 at 12:08pm:
This is what I’ve been saying often.  You make up your own definitions for things and then get mad when others use the standard definition.

It’s a very common trait among people on the AU spectrum.

You mean like statist?  Jeff thinks it means someone who supports the existence of any government.  What a dumb ass.

EDIT:  Oh wait, that's you ...

My favorite is how you didn't know what an anarchist was or why I was calling you one when you kept opposing all taxes and only advocated voluntary government, which is what an anarchist actually is.  That was classic.

Then again what should be expected from a troll who thinks that school shootings are our fault for not confiscating all guns and who believes in government schools?  LOL.

Contest winner:  I predicted Kaz' meltdown

IP Logged

Little Big Man

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #454 - Apr 5th, 2019 at 7:53am
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Apr 3rd, 2019 at 1:57pm:
No, they should have a chance to get an education just like every other child, but the schools aren't the proper venue to make sure they have (stylish) glasses or the proper place to deal with their emotional disturbances.

In an ideal world, charities and professionals doing pro-bono work would be allowed to take care of such issues.  But in the real world - in which we are heavily taxed to pay for public schools and other government "generosity," people are too busy hustling to pay up.  The expectation now is that public school not only educate children, but create the conditions under which they can benefit from the education. 

That's why the parent went to the school in the first place for the "free" glasses.  That's why his teachers get a blank look when they ask mom to help control the student's behavior by giving him consequences at home for acting out at school.  The parents' thought process, as some have explained it is this:  'we make sure he behaves at home.  At school is your turn.  we don't ask you to punish him for not cleaning his room, so don't ask us to punish him for not doing his math.'  The existence of tax-funded schools have led parents to feel that education is not part of their responsibility. 

Hard to blame parents really.  They have no choice about sending their kids to school the majority of waking hours and certainly no choice about paying for it.  When they try to get involved, school officials and teachers often stonewall them and ridicule them for "trying to tell us how to do our jobs."

In the long term, you want to change all that "back" to the idyllic local schools you imagine existed sometime or another.  I want to change it also, even though our proposed methods differ.  But your proposed method still involves forcible taxation which is exactly what leads to the entitlement mentality of that student.  Therefore, it is for you to explain why you are willing to spend an average of over eleven thousand dollars per year on a student but not willing to spend an extra hundred dollars so that the education actually benefits the student and the community as you say public school does.

Snarky no more!

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #455 - Apr 5th, 2019 at 8:37am
Print Post  
Little Big Man wrote on Apr 5th, 2019 at 7:53am:
In an ideal world, charities and professionals doing pro-bono work would be allowed to take care of such issues.  But in the real world - in which we are heavily taxed to pay for public schools and other government "generosity," people are too busy hustling to pay up.  The expectation now is that public school not only educate children, but create the conditions under which they can benefit from the education. 

That's why the parent went to the school in the first place for the "free" glasses.  That's why his teachers get a blank look when they ask mom to help control the student's behavior by giving him consequences at home for acting out at school.  The parents' thought process, as some have explained it is this:  'we make sure he behaves at home.  At school is your turn.  we don't ask you to punish him for not cleaning his room, so don't ask us to punish him for not doing his math.'  The existence of tax-funded schools have led parents to feel that education is not part of their responsibility. 

Hard to blame parents really.  They have no choice about sending their kids to school the majority of waking hours and certainly no choice about paying for it.  When they try to get involved, school officials and teachers often stonewall them and ridicule them for "trying to tell us how to do our jobs."
Yes, that's why I keep saying that schools must be locally funded and locally controlled and free of government unions.

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #456 - Apr 5th, 2019 at 8:40am
Print Post  
Little Big Man wrote on Apr 5th, 2019 at 7:53am:
Therefore, it is for you to explain why you are willing to spend an average of over eleven thousand dollars per year on a student but not willing to spend an extra hundred dollars so that the education actually benefits the student and the community as you say public school does.

Locally funded and locally controlled schools can decide how much they want to spend on their schools and what they want them to provide for their students.

I'm positive that good basic educations can be provide for much less than $11,000/year/student, but some locally funded and locally controlled schools might choose to spend more.

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Little Big Man

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #457 - Apr 5th, 2019 at 10:39am
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Apr 5th, 2019 at 8:40am:
Locally funded and locally controlled schools can decide how much they want to spend on their schools and what they want them to provide for their students.

I'm positive that good basic educations can be provide for much less than $11,000/year/student, but some locally funded and locally controlled schools might choose to spend more.

All those are “maybe” and “might.”  I,m talking about a real situation in which tens of thousands of dollars are being spent to educate a kid who is not being educated at all.  If the school spends another hundred dollars, he can get glasses that he will wear and he will be able to learn. 

So you seriously think the district should let the tens of thousands of dollars be wasted to make a point? 

What point is that exactly?  That you don’t get what you want all the time for free?  You really think a tax-funded school can make that point?

Snarky no more!

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #458 - Apr 5th, 2019 at 10:47am
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Apr 5th, 2019 at 8:40am:

By this you mean that if there are more poor people, they can just take what they need from the rest.

So when someone is richer than me, they keep their absolute property rights to keep my opinions off Twitter, Facebook, and Youtube.

But when someone is poorer than me, has babies they can't afford, "the community" trumps my property.

Rights appear and disappear at need if you're a libertarian. When they hurt your enemies, rights are absolute. When they would protect your enemies, good ideas > rights, because, you know, rights aren't absolute; the community is more important.

Just FYI this is why I say libertarianism is designed to take benefits from the working class and feed them to everyone else. Somehow, welfare queens gain, and businesses gain, but workers always lose. Hmm. It's almost like that's the intent.

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #459 - Apr 5th, 2019 at 12:31pm
Print Post  
Little Big Man wrote on Apr 5th, 2019 at 10:39am:
All those are “maybe” and “might.”  I,m talking about a real situation in which tens of thousands of dollars are being spent to educate a kid who is not being educated at all.  If the school spends another hundred dollars, he can get glasses that he will wear and he will be able to learn. 
If the kids aren't being educated at all as you say, there'e no sense in buying them glasses.

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 52
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › The Thread for Jeff to Answer Questions
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy