Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › The Thread for Jeff to Answer Questions
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 52 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) The Thread for Jeff to Answer Questions (Read 5912 times)
Jeff
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: The Thread for Jeff to Answer Questions
Reply #470 - Apr 9th, 2019 at 8:05am
Print Post  
Speaking of public schools Sack, here's a good article:

https://reason.com/blog/2019/04/08/achievement-gap-between-rich-and-poor-pu?utm_...

IP Logged

Little Big Man

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #471 - Apr 9th, 2019 at 1:33pm
Print Post  

Jeff wrote on Apr 8th, 2019 at 1:15pm:
If the law of the particular representative republic provides no power to the government to use tax revenue for such wealth transfers, then the expenditures are illegal.

Do you find a grant of power in the U.S. Constitution that allows the government to expend revenues collected in any fashion to be given to people who aren't working or can't work?

Right next to the famous, “public schools ‘cause everyone deserves a fair chance at a basic education clause.”

Snarky no more!

IP Logged

Little Big Man

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #472 - Apr 9th, 2019 at 1:36pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Apr 9th, 2019 at 8:05am:
Speaking of public schools Sack, here's a good article:

https://reason.com/blog/2019/04/08/achievement-gap-between-rich-and-poor-pu?utm_...

I respedt your posting that since it proves my case.  Mandatory Public Education for poor students does them no good.  In almost all cases, it is a disservice because it is nothing more than 12 years of forced humiliation since they cannot keep up with their peers.  If their parents are working, their own family is paying for them to be treated like that when they could be getting a head start by learning how to pick peppers and dig ditches. 

After twelve years of sitting on their butts in air conditioned public school they find it hard to adapt to the kind of manual labor their own genetics have selected them for.

Snarky no more!

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #473 - Apr 9th, 2019 at 3:13pm
Print Post  
Little Big Man wrote on Apr 9th, 2019 at 1:33pm:
Right next to the famous, “public schools ‘cause everyone deserves a fair chance at a basic education clause.”
Check your State Constitution, such power is probably granted to your state government, but it is not granted to the federal government.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #474 - Apr 9th, 2019 at 3:19pm
Print Post  
Little Big Man wrote on Apr 9th, 2019 at 1:36pm:
I respedt your posting that since it proves my case.  Mandatory Public Education for poor students does them no good.
In our current public schools under federal and state and government union control, that is generally almost correct. I say almost because it definitely does the majority of students some good. Learning to read and write and do basic math is something that is still accomplished for almost all students even in our worst schools.

As noted in the article, competition is needed, and a voucher program such as I advocate would subject public schools to real competition.

Getting rid of government teachers unions and giving control of the schools back to the local parents would also help, a lot.

IP Logged

Little Big Man

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #475 - Apr 10th, 2019 at 8:09am
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Apr 9th, 2019 at 3:13pm:
Check your State Constitution, such power is probably granted to your state government, but it is not granted to the federal government.

So lawmakers can change theft into non-theft, but only if a constitution allows them to?  “A constitution” meaning any constitution, it doesn’t have to be the U.S. Constitution?

Could a town incorporating itself into a city also convert theft to non-theft in its constitution?  For example by granting itself the power to tax people to feed the homeless?

Snarky no more!

IP Logged

Little Big Man

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #476 - Apr 10th, 2019 at 8:09am
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Apr 9th, 2019 at 3:19pm:
In our current public schools under federal and state and government union control, that is generally almost correct. I say almost because it definitely does the majority of students some good. Learning to read and write and do basic math is something that is still accomplished for almost all students even in our worst schools.

As noted in the article, competition is needed, and a voucher program such as I advocate would subject public schools to real competition.

Getting rid of government teachers unions and giving control of the schools back to the local parents would also help, a lot.

Would the vouchers have strings attached or would it be entirely they parents’ decision how to use them?

Snarky no more!

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #477 - Apr 10th, 2019 at 8:22am
Print Post  
Little Big Man wrote on Apr 10th, 2019 at 8:09am:
So lawmakers can change theft into non-theft, but only if a constitution allows them to?  “A constitution” meaning any constitution, it doesn’t have to be the U.S. Constitution?

Could a town incorporating itself into a city also convert theft to non-theft in its constitution?  For example by granting itself the power to tax people to feed the homeless?

It essential to control government at any level, and binding them with laws is the only known way to do it. That's what constitutions and charters are, laws that govern what the government they apply to can do, and they often include specific things that the government must not do.

Some constitutions and charters are better than others, and many (most) of them are routinely ignored or subverted.

If your city charter allows wealth re-distribution, you can try to change the charter, or you can move somewhere that doesn't.

It would be helpful if SCOTUS would reverse it's perverted reading of eminent domain and make it clear that the government can't take property from people in order to give it to other individuals. That's a foundational argument against re-distribution of wealth and SCOTUS got it horribly wrong. The public good/general welfare is not served by taking from some in order to give to others.

IP Logged

Little Big Man

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #478 - Apr 10th, 2019 at 8:25am
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Apr 10th, 2019 at 8:22am:
It essential to control government at any level, and binding them with laws is the only known way to do it. That's what constitutions and charters are, laws that govern what the government they apply to can do, and they often include specific things that the government must not do.

Some constitutions and charters are better than others, and many (most) of them are routinely ignored or subverted.

If your city charter allows wealth re-distribution, you can try to change the charter, or you can move somewhere that doesn't.

All that to say, “Yes, LBM, a city can charter itself the right to take from the rich and give to the poor without it being theft?

Snarky no more!

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #479 - Apr 10th, 2019 at 8:29am
Print Post  
Little Big Man wrote on Apr 10th, 2019 at 8:25am:
All that to say, “Yes, LBM, a city can charter itself the right to take from the rich and give to the poor without it being theft?
I didn't want you to think I approved of it...

But it's actually the people who live in the city that control what powers are granted to their government in the charter.

You make it sound as if the city government can grant itself powers, and that's the essence of a tyrannical government.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 52
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › The Thread for Jeff to Answer Questions
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy