Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › The Thread for Jeff to Answer Questions
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) The Thread for Jeff to Answer Questions (Read 8336 times)
Little Big Man
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: The Thread for Jeff to Answer Questions
Reply #510 - Apr 16th, 2019 at 3:42pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Apr 16th, 2019 at 2:51pm:
If SCOTUS would ever look at it dispassionately and from a non-political viewpoint, they would declare that government unions are unconstitutional, which would end the political power of "teachers", because it's not actually the teachers who have political power, it's the teachers unions.

I didn’t know that!

Which clause in the constitution forbids teachers or any other government workers from forming unions?

Snarky no more!

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #511 - Apr 16th, 2019 at 4:03pm
Print Post  
Little Big Man wrote on Apr 16th, 2019 at 3:42pm:
I didn’t know that!

Which clause in the constitution forbids teachers or any other government workers from forming unions?

I love repeating things like this to you Sack! Kiss

Forming any sort of association is a right of free people. Freedom of association is guaranteed by the Constitution.

It becomes a problem when the government enacts laws like the NLRA and the RLA that give unions special powers and special privileges. The problems that creates are greatly amplified when unions of government employees are given those special powers and privileges.

The essential and largest problem with government unions is, the people they negotiate contracts with are not the people who have to pay.

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #512 - Apr 16th, 2019 at 5:39pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Apr 16th, 2019 at 4:03pm:
I love repeating things like this to you Sack! Kiss

Forming any sort of association is a right of free people. Freedom of association is guaranteed by the Constitution.

It becomes a problem when the government enacts laws like the NLRA and the RLA that give unions special powers and special privileges. The problems that creates are greatly amplified when unions of government employees are given those special powers and privileges.

The essential and largest problem with government unions is, the people they negotiate contracts with are not the people who have to pay.

This is actually a good argument, Jeff.  Well done.  No sarcasm.  I don't see this often from you.  OK, that part was sarcasm ...

To close the loop on your argument, you want to site the 10th amendment.  There is no authority for the Federal government to empower unions.  To your point, there is no power either to ban voluntary unions.  But giving unions special powers is a no-no, by the 10th amendment.  And it is buttressed by the 9th, which says the Federal government exercising power it doesn't have is as important as the government restricting for example free speech, trial by jury or the right to bear arms

Contest winner:  I predicted Kaz' meltdown

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #513 - Apr 16th, 2019 at 6:56pm
Print Post  
kaz wrote on Apr 16th, 2019 at 5:39pm:
This is actually a good argument, Jeff.  Well done.  No sarcasm.  I don't see this often from you.  OK, that part was sarcasm ...

To close the loop on your argument, you want to cite the 10th amendment.  There is no authority for the Federal government to empower unions.  To your point, there is no power either to ban voluntary unions.  But giving unions special powers is a no-no, by the 10th amendment.  And it is buttressed by the 9th, which says the Federal government exercising power it doesn't have is as important as the government restricting for example free speech, trial by jury or the right to bear arms
Well thanks. You closed the loop very well.

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Little Biq Man

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #514 - Apr 16th, 2019 at 7:42pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Apr 16th, 2019 at 6:56pm:
Well thanks. You closed the loop very well.

When you two are done licking each other's balls, maybe Jeff can admit to Little Big Man that he was wrong when he said that government employee unions are unconstitutional.

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #515 - Apr 16th, 2019 at 8:22pm
Print Post  
Little Biq Man wrote on Apr 16th, 2019 at 7:42pm:
When you two are done licking each other's balls, maybe Jeff can admit to Little Big Man that he was wrong when he said that government employee unions are unconstitutional.

Don't worry, gay boy.  I'm not moving in on your man

Contest winner:  I predicted Kaz' meltdown

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #516 - Apr 17th, 2019 at 7:28am
Print Post  
Little Biq Man wrote on Apr 16th, 2019 at 7:42pm:

Granting special power and privileges to any private organization is unconstitutional Sacky, it's just the government employee unions that have the worst results in practice.

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #517 - Jun 1st, 2019 at 12:47pm
Print Post  
Nobody has mentioned government employee unions and their pernicious influence lately...

Here's an example:

https://reason.com/2019/05/31/texas-police-union-kills-effort-to-close-states-de...

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › The Thread for Jeff to Answer Questions
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy