Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › How Long will Kaz Last this Time? Join the Pool!
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) How Long will Kaz Last this Time? Join the Pool! (Read 870 times)
Jeff
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: How Long will Kaz Last this Time? Join the Pool!
Reply #50 - Jan 11th, 2019 at 4:44pm
Print Post  
Sacky, are you going to let kaz participate or not?

IP Logged

Little Big Man

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #51 - Jan 11th, 2019 at 8:29pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Jan 11th, 2019 at 4:44pm:
Sacky, are you going to let kaz participate or not?

I'm inclined to say, "yes."

I believe that Kaz will not be able to bring himself to leave so soon. 

But, if you or any other poster wishes to participate and make your own predictions, I'm willing to let majority (of participants) rule.

Snarky no more!

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #52 - Jan 12th, 2019 at 8:51am
Print Post  
Little Big Man wrote on Jan 11th, 2019 at 8:29pm:

But, if you or any other poster wishes to participate and make your own predictions, I'm willing to let majority (of participants) rule.
Who's in the pool so far?

IP Logged

Little Big Man

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #53 - Jan 12th, 2019 at 12:43pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Jan 12th, 2019 at 8:51am:

Just Kaz and I, I think.

Snarky no more!

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #54 - Jan 12th, 2019 at 1:40pm
Print Post  
Little Big Man wrote on Jan 12th, 2019 at 12:43pm:
Just Kaz and I, I think.

You were a teacher and you don't know the difference between a subject an an object?  Taught in government schools, didn't you?

Contest winner:  I predicted Kaz' meltdown

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #55 - Jan 12th, 2019 at 1:42pm
Print Post  
Little Big Man wrote on Jan 11th, 2019 at 8:29pm:

Your rules only invited anyone who wanted to project my meltdown.  There was no qualification that applied to me participating.  Obviously I don't plan meltdowns, so what advantage do I have?

I'm just gauging by my eye rolling and stupid conversation fatigue as well as that nothing has changed and I felt when I made my projection that I had about a week to go until my meltdown.  It was just a guess

IP Logged

Little Big Man

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #56 - Jan 12th, 2019 at 1:56pm
Print Post  

Jeff wrote Today at 8:51am:
Quote:

Snarky Sack wrote Today at 12:43pm:
Quote:
Just Kaz and I, I think.

kaz wrote on Jan 12th, 2019 at 1:40pm:
You were a teacher and you don't know the difference between a subject an an object?  Taught in government schools, didn't you?

I taught in both private and government schools, yes.

So in the interrogatory sentence, "Who's in the pool so far?" "who" is the subject.  So by answering, "Just Kaz and I, I think," I used the subject form of the first person singular.   

If my grammar is incorrect, I'll happily admit that I was wrong. 

Snarky no more!

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #57 - Jan 12th, 2019 at 2:16pm
Print Post  
Little Big Man wrote on Jan 12th, 2019 at 1:56pm:
Jeff wrote Today at 8:51am:

Snarky Sack wrote Today at 12:43pm:

I taught in both private and government schools, yes.

So in the interrogatory sentence, "Who's in the pool so far?" "who" is the subject.  So by answering, "Just Kaz and I, I think," I used the subject form of the first person singular.   

If my grammar is incorrect, I'll happily admit that I was wrong. 

Who is the subject.  The answer is an object.

It would be a subject only if you rephrased the answer and said "Only Kaz and I are in the pool." 

This thing where "I" is used by professional writers and "teachers" like you even when it's an object is bizarre.  It's no wonder that teachers have below average grades on hole in your degrees.  Maybe to the great unwashed you think it makes you sound intelligent.  To someone who knows the English language it makes you look ... like I already think you look

IP Logged

Little Big Man

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #58 - Jan 12th, 2019 at 3:40pm
Print Post  
kaz wrote on Jan 12th, 2019 at 2:16pm:
Who is the subject.  The answer is an object.

It would be a subject only if you rephrased the answer and said "Only Kaz and I are in the pool." 

This thing where "I" is used by professional writers and "teachers" like you even when it's an object is bizarre.  It's no wonder that teachers have below average grades on hole in your degrees.  Maybe to the great unwashed you think it makes you sound intelligent.  To someone who knows the English language it makes you look ... like I already think you look

How is "I" in the sentence, "Kaz and I, I think." the object?

Of what verb is "I" the object?

If you objected that my sentence was incomplete, you would be correct.  It is a sentence fragment in answer to the question, "Who's in the pool?"

But, I'm not seeing that "I" is the object, so please explain it to me.  Is this definition of object wrong:

Quote:
Traditional grammar defines the object in a sentence as the entity that is acted upon by the subject. There is thus a primary distinction between subjects and objects that is understood in terms of the action expressed by the verb, e.g. Tom studies grammar—Tom is the subject and grammar is the object.

Teachers and writers often use "I" as a subject and "me" as an object, but not to make people feel bad.  We do it because that is the correct use of the words. 

"I asked her to marry me," would be an example.  "She and I married" is correct, not "She and me got married."  She married me and I married her.  Who married her?  I did.  Who kissed her after the ceremony?  Her parents and I.  That last is an incomplete sentence, but it is not an incorrect use of I.

Unless me's wrong about that?

Interestingly (to me), this is not such a problem with Spanish speakers.  Ask a group of kids, "?Quien habla espanil?" and they will respond, "Yo." which is the Spanish "I," not "Mi," or "Me," which are the indirect object and direct object forms.

Fépondez s'il vous plaît?  (that be French)

EDIT:  You are correct that some people erroneously use "I" as an object to sound smart or because they think it is correct.  For example they may say, "please give the phone number to she and I," because they have been corrected for saying, "Me and her are going to call you." 

I don't think I'm guilty of that in this case, but I'm open-minded.

Snarky no more!

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #59 - Jan 12th, 2019 at 3:43pm
Print Post  
Little Big Man wrote on Jan 12th, 2019 at 3:40pm:
How is "I" in the sentence, "Kaz and I, I think." the object?

Of what verb is "I" the object?

If you objected that my sentence was incomplete, you would be correct.  It is a sentence fragment in answer to the question, "Who's in the pool?"

But, I'm not seeing that "I" is the object, so please explain it to me.  Is this definition of object wrong:

Teachers and writers often use "I" as a subject and "me" as an object, but not to make people feel bad.  We do it because that is the correct use of the words. 

"I asked her to marry me," would be an example.  "She and I married" is correct, not "She and me got married."  She married me and I married her.  Who married her?  I did.  Who kissed her after the ceremony?  Her parents and I.  That last is an incomplete sentence, but it is not an incorrect use of I.

Unless me's wrong about that?

Here's a trick that you'd know if you had taught your students instead of sitting on the playground with them playing ... playground.

Remove the "kaz and."

Who ate the ice cream?

Me, not I

Who is in the poll?

Kaz and me.  Adding "kaz and" does not change whether it's a subject or an object.

You're welcome

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › How Long will Kaz Last this Time? Join the Pool!
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy